What's new

Anyone still running the og style 231 doubler?

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
Seems like every time I look at the ecobox, the price goes up and the lead time gets longer.

Found these for less than half the price. I'll be running about 100hp through an auto then to a 3.8 atlas, bonus is they offer a 32 spline output, which is what the atlas is. Which should eliminate the weak point of having a 23 spline input on the 2nd case.

Length and or billet bling is not a concern for me.

Just curious how many are still running these now that the ecobox has become the standard? I believe Tydes is running something similar in a v8 4runner.

I just remember the name Froehlich having a questionable reputation over the last 10-15 years, don't know if that's changed or not lately.

I ran the original DD Machine one for 6 years or so in front of a D300 through both trail riding and racing, I broke a few housings but it was always due to front driveshaft issues, and it's just the stock housing that breaks, the expensive bits can be moved to a new one.

I don't have the wheelbase in my current buggy for it but in something a bit longer, I'd consider the idea again for sure (maybe just not that particular one).

Seems like every time I look at the ecobox, the price goes up and the lead time gets longer.

Found these for less than half the price. I'll be running about 100hp through an auto then to a 3.8 atlas, bonus is they offer a 32 spline output, which is what the atlas is. Which should eliminate the weak point of having a 23 spline input on the 2nd case.

Just curious how many are still running these now that the ecobox has become the standard? I believe Tydes is running something similar in a v8 4runner.
I am running double 231s without any issues. I did find that running motor oil was much better then ATF for noise and "misting" issue(fluid was slowly going low) due to heat for highway speeds.

Damn wish I saw this kit a couple months ago. Would have made my life easier.

I am running double 231s without any issues. I did find that running motor oil was much better then ATF for noise and "misting" issue(fluid was slowly going low) due to heat for highway speeds.
Almost ready to drop in my dual 241s in my scout, first I have heard of using motor oil. Got any more info on this, like what kind or issues with it?

Damn wish I saw this kit a couple months ago. Would have made my life easier.

Almost ready to drop in my dual 241s in my scout, first I have heard of using motor oil. Got any more info on this, like what kind or issues with it?
"The standard 231 weighs about 70 lbs. HD 231's can weigh up to 80 lbs. Fluid capacity of the 231 is from 1.5 up to 2 quarts. ATF is the factory recommended fluid, however many individuals have chosen to run a straight 30 weight oil or 5W30 in a mineral or synthetic. Our experiences with these and those reported to us by our customers indicate positive results in noise reduction and wear resistance." Novak Website

another random quote from the internet....

"NVG's preferred/suggested fill is actuallly 5w-30. It falls in the same viscosity range as the Dexron (tho it feels a bit thicker when it is cold). But it has more anti-foaming additives. So it stays inside the case instead of potentially misting its way up the breather vent."

"NVG's preferred/suggested fill is actuallly 5w-30. It falls in the same viscosity range as the Dexron (tho it feels a bit thicker when it is cold). But it has more anti-foaming additives. So it stays inside the case instead of potentially misting its way up the breather vent."
So then why do the OEMs override that and spec more expensive ATF?

We have 3 doublers in our wheeling group.
OG 231/D300 in a 4cy YJ.
OG 241/205 in my LS YJ.
ECO/205 in a LS YJ.
No issues with any of them.
For years I ran the D&D 231/300. Replaced the 300 with a 205 for less gearing in double low and fear of breaking the D300.
Recently built my own version and replaced the 231 with 241 so now it is a OG style 241/205. LOVE IT!
I cut the alum plate myself and had Hudlowe Axle in Chattanooga cut down a stock 231/241 shaft that everyone tosses when doing a slip yoke eliminator. Hudlowe cut the shaft, turned it and splined the output end to fit the 31 spline 205 input.
1/2" Alum plate + bandsaw + router + Hudllowe = cheap strong doubler. :smokin:

I’ve looked at this kit. Not having to cut and weld a 231 case seems easier than knowing how to TiG weld aluminum. Lots of people say a 231 with a doubler is a ticking time bomb. Ironically, this morning I was thinking about selling my fully assembled ecobox and I’ve never run it. I just don’t think it would sell for what I want.

Maybe it is because it the t-case leaks, they do not want it to potentially contaminate the transmission?
I don't buy that for a second are the same engineers who refuse to build an engine unless it has at least a couple paths for water to get into the oil not counting the head gasket. :laughing:
Or money.
That's normally what I'd think but motor oil is cheaper....

“The original” lol...nobody was doing this until I came up with the idea in my Dads barn like 15 years ago. That clown Duffy, DD machine copied what I was doing and started pushing it claiming he had been doing it for decades. All good, selling those was a pita and not much profit involved. I always ran 80-90w gear oil in mine and never had a problem fwiw. Gear oil is what I recommended people to run.

“The original” lol...nobody was doing this until I came up with the idea in my Dads barn like 15 years ago. That clown Duffy, DD machine copied what I was doing and started pushing it claiming he had been doing it for decades. All good, selling those was a pita and not much profit involved. I always ran 80-90w gear oil in mine and never had a problem fwiw. Gear oil is what I recommended people to run.

Michael-Traditional-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies-2-Ounce-168-per-case_9c943ffc-3845-4bad-93cd-a1ba2...jpeg

:flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh