What's new

Anyone see the new Cummins 6.7L gas engine?

CA already is. WA has huge grants available to entice school districts to get electric buses, if WA didn't no school districts would because of the cost. When you can buy 3 ICE buses for the cost of one electric the school districts can't afford that, so the state makes it so they can and will get them. At least one school district checked with Avista and was told your rural towns electric grid is already maxed out, can't do electric buses.

Electric buses could make sense. I just hate when dumb liberals try to mandate shit like that before the tech is ready. Let it develop and you'll end up with a much better product.

Also makes me mad there is money for that when schools need money for lots of other real issues :homer:

Electric buses could make sense. I just hate when dumb liberals try to mandate shit like that before the tech is ready. Let it develop and you'll end up with a much better product.

Also makes me mad there is money for that when schools need money for lots of other real issues :homer:

Electric busses were tried in Jackson Wyo and failed.

Electric busses were tried in Jackson Wyo and failed.

Like I said, when they're ready. The tech gets better every year. Just hate people trying to force it.

Cold area like WY isn't a good place to start either :laughing:

Like I said, when they're ready. The tech gets better every year. Just hate people trying to force it.

Cold area like WY isn't a good place to start either :laughing:
Agree and it could/would make sense in warmer environments in city's

And why didn't they go with a plug hybrid bus? That way you're not totally tied to the grid, especially important in rural areas. And most electric buses can't be used as trip buses because where they're going don't have the charging capability. Oh yeah, electric because it's going to save the planet.:shaking:

Reactions: RMO
I work at Cummins and mess with the 6.7 gas engine daily. With California getting rid of diesels for the 25 model year in the commercial space this is going to basically be the replacement. Also going to fill the spot of fleets not wanting to mess with the diesel aftertreatment bs.

Someone posted earlier in this thread, but the 1200 ft lbs that the ford has is only available in certain situations.. grade/weight/gear dependent.

I work at Cummins and mess with the 6.7 gas engine daily. With California getting rid of diesels for the 25 model year in the commercial space this is going to basically be the replacement. Also going to fill the spot of fleets not wanting to mess with the diesel aftertreatment bs.

Someone posted earlier in this thread, but the 1200 ft lbs that the ford has is only available in certain situations.. grade/weight/gear dependent.
Say wut?

is the 1200 only avialable when you need it the most, or when you dont need the 1200 ft lbs. I.e. cooling capacity can handle 1200 ft lbs towing 10k up a 5% grade in 55* weather in 6th gear but when your in 7th gear, towing 30k lbs up a 7% grade in 100* heat your only getting 1000 ft lbs?

is the 1200 only avialable when you need it the most, or when you dont need the 1200 ft lbs. I.e. cooling capacity can handle 1200 ft lbs towing 10k up a 5% grade in 55* weather in 6th gear but when your in 7th gear, towing 30k lbs up a 7% grade in 100* heat your only getting 1000 ft lbs?
I haven’t worked it hard on a 110 degree day yet, but so far it feels like it’s usually there.

Sorry, a little vague on the subject.. not technically getting rid of diesels.. but making emission requirements next to impossible. This is only for the commercial space.. Stellantis, GM, and Ford will still be in the market.
To an extent, yes, IAT and the transmission can play a role in derates too. Every truck now, even commercial, have accelerometers in them to know grade and an acceleration rate for mass estimation. Flat midwest towing 5k wont see 1200 ft-lbs, but pulling 30k up a grade, as long as everything is in check, you will (if you need it). The lower gears are torque limited too.

Every manufacture does the tuning and testing to know how long an engine will last under warranty. When the light duty market has engines that make more power and torque than most ratings of the medium duty Cummins 9 liter, yet is half the weight, its not making the "marketed" rating 100% of the time.

Thank you so much for the reply Jeepcj75

It makes sense why the 450-550 C&C make less power then the 250/350 pickup and the 650/750 even less then the 450-550 C&C.

Do the 450-550-650-750 derate as much as pickup variants or are those a 100% of the time rating?

Marketing matters much more in the light duty segment.

I don't think 450/550 models, which come with the ldt drivelines (chassis/suspension/axle differences only) are derated compared to 250/350 models. 650/750 territory gives you driveline selection, which is real mdt stuff, so mdt ratings.

Point being 450/550 trucks are mdts with ldt drivelines. 650/750 are mdts through and through.

I don't think 450/550 models, which come with the ldt drivelines (chassis/suspension/axle differences only) are derated compared to 250/350 models. 650/750 territory gives you driveline selection, which is real mdt stuff, so mdt ratings.

Point being 450/550 trucks are mdts with ldt drivelines. 650/750 are mdts through and through.

Nope

I believe even a C&c F350 srw is derated to the 330 hp based on seat of the pants at my old work.

The F450/550 are 100% derated to 330 hp. My 19 F550 work truck is like 10 mph slower at 36k lbs gross than my 16 F350 up the same hill.

Also, around 2016 or so Ford stopped offering anything other than Ford engines for the 650/750. Theyve been using the 6.7psd and same 6 or 10 speed as the pickups for a while.

Getting back to the 6.7 gas engine, I have seen a few ads for the new ram 1500's with the twin turbo I-6 and I'm just guessing that a year or 2 later the same body will be applied to the 2500+ trucks and we might see the 6.7 gas motor show up. Think about simplifying your product line from 3-4 engines with 3-4 different transmissions to 1 base engine displacement block that you then decide what fuel and what power you want. Diesel? ok LP or HP? Gas? ok LP or HP? and then basically only have 2 transmission options 1 for each power rating. Similar power\RPM range means similar gearing can be used so trans can stay the same along with axle gears so again that could simplify production.

Nope

I believe even a C&c F350 srw is derated to the 330 hp based on seat of the pants at my old work.

The F450/550 are 100% derated to 330 hp. My 19 F550 work truck is like 10 mph slower at 36k lbs gross than my 16 F350 up the same hill.

Also, around 2016 or so Ford stopped offering anything other than Ford engines for the 650/750. Theyve been using the 6.7psd and same 6 or 10 speed as the pickups for a while.

I don't know anything about trucks newer than 07, so I guess I should have put that in my post. Good to know though.

Top Back Refresh