What's new

Anyone on here buy one of those cheap single cylinder diesel engines off e-bay?

billybob_81067

Redneck
Member Number
Loc
Southeastern Colorado

Recently acquired a shitbox 1988 F-350 with a spray rig on the back. The pickup is set up with a pto to hydraulic pump and then that runs a hydraulic motor that runs a centrifugal pump. Seems kinda overly complicated, but with the amounts of fluid they were pumping through the booms and speeds they were spraying at it was probably necessary. I will only be spraying pipelines, ditches and around buildings/whatnot, so I removed the booms and will not need that high of a volume of fluid pumped. Having set up a skid sprayer before I am wanting to run a diaphragm pump on it for simplicity and ruggedness. I was originally going to adapt the hydraulic motor to run the diaphragm pump, but after a moment of clarity the other day I realized that every time I clutch the pickup the pump would stop making pressure, which would suck when spaying in tight spots and corners.

So now I think the easiest option to power the pump would be just to couple it to a small diesel engine. I'd like to go with a diesel because the pickup itself is a diesel and has a large auxiliary tank fitted to the spray body. I believe I can tap into this with the small diesel and run everything off of one tank and not have to re-fuel the small engine fuel tank ever (probably remove it even.) Then I can remove the pto pump and all the hydraulic system and re-purpose them for some other project.

Anyone have one of those cheap single cylinder diesel engines? What brand did you get and would you recommend it? The two I listed don't have an electric start, but I'm thinking that would be a nice option and I could rig up some switches to start it from the cab....

Pics of spray rig...
IMG_2021-06-01_19-17-222.jpg
IMG_2021-06-01_19-18-05.jpeg
IMG_2021-06-01_19-17-46.jpeg

in for an answer
though for $300... you can get a used z482 for not that much more coin
ETA: never mind, those things used to be like $500

I remember my friends dad bought a Chang-Fa diesel water pump years ago. It came with A spare set of piston rings in a little baggy. We thought wow they really think highly of their engine. I dont remember how long it lasted. For all I know it might still be running.

My friend had a bunch of generators with those, they didn't last long. Some guys were doing diesel bikes with them and again had plenty problems.

Gee thanks. Some more cool shit that i want just cause Cool. Im sure i can make a project around it.
Tiller from hell maybe?

Fuck it, I bought a couple of the "6HP" 196cc diesel engines and a Hypro diaphragm pump off e-bay. Engines are a 20mm crank and the pump is for a 3/4" shaft so some slight machining will be required... We'll see how good they are...

Can't wait to hear more.

20MM is bigger than 3/4 but might fit being china probably forseen that and made it small.

Can't wait to hear more.

20MM is bigger than 3/4 but might fit being china probably forseen that and made it small.
Yeah I'll either redneck lathe the crank down by running the engine and filing the crank, or bore out the pump coupler a tad... The pump is more expensive than the engine, so I'm thinking filing the cranks is the option I'll take. 20mm is .787 so only .037" oversize.

That way if the diesel engines aren't worth a shit I can still throw a standard 6.5hp honda clone on there without issues.

ProjectFarm bought one to see what kinds of things it'll run on.

It ran on everything I think. Not sure if he tried running it on margarine though...

Recently acquired a shitbox 1988 F-350 with a spray rig on the back. The pickup is set up with a pto to hydraulic pump and then that runs a hydraulic motor that runs a centrifugal pump. Seems kinda overly complicated, but with the amounts of fluid they were pumping through the booms and speeds they were spraying at it was probably necessary. I will only be spraying pipelines, ditches and around buildings/whatnot, so I removed the booms and will not need that high of a volume of fluid pumped. Having set up a skid sprayer before I am wanting to run a diaphragm pump on it for simplicity and ruggedness. I was originally going to adapt the hydraulic motor to run the diaphragm pump, but after a moment of clarity the other day I realized that every time I clutch the pickup the pump would stop making pressure, which would suck when spaying in tight spots and corners.

So now I think the easiest option to power the pump would be just to couple it to a small diesel engine. I'd like to go with a diesel because the pickup itself is a diesel and has a large auxiliary tank fitted to the spray body. I believe I can tap into this with the small diesel and run everything off of one tank and not have to re-fuel the small engine fuel tank ever (probably remove it even.) Then I can remove the pto pump and all the hydraulic system and re-purpose them for some other project.

Anyone have one of those cheap single cylinder diesel engines? What brand did you get and would you recommend it? The two I listed don't have an electric start, but I'm thinking that would be a nice option and I could rig up some switches to start it from the cab....

Pics of spray rig...
I used to work exclusively on these type of rigs (TerraGator,RoGator) and I can tell you most of these systems have grossly oversized pumps for the types of work farmers do now.

Most can't afford to fertilize the rates/volumes that were once possible and so these rigs end up spraying glyphosate etc. at low rates/volumes.

My suggestion would be to use a tip calculator from one of the big boys TeeJet Spray Calculator and come up with the max GPM of your tips, and add the required amount for agitation from a pump calculator.

Will you be using rate control electronics or speed/pressure?

I used to work exclusively on these type of rigs (TerraGator,RoGator) and I can tell you most of these systems have grossly oversized pumps for the types of work farmers do now.

Most can't afford to fertilize the rates/volumes that were once possible and so these rigs end up spraying glyphosate etc. at low rates/volumes.

My suggestion would be to use a tip calculator from one of the big boys TeeJet Spray Calculator and come up with the max GPM of your tips, and add the required amount for agitation from a pump calculator.

Will you be using rate control electronics or speed/pressure?

I completely removed the booms and will be basically using it as a giant spot sprayer... So yeah that pump that was on it was ridiculously oversized. I really don't spray much at all anymore other than ditches, some fence lines, around buildings, and the gated pipe at the top of my fields so irrigating isn't a pain in the ass. Everything else gets mowed or swathed and baled. I like grass and weeds on my roads and ditch banks because it stops erosion and gives me a place to drive when it gets muddy. Once in a great while if I have a lot of extra water to get something started I might spray a field to kill back weeds and then go in and drill in some alfalfa and grass... I have a 3pt sprayer to put on a tractor for that.

Hell even the pump I bought to put on it is probably oversized for what I do 95% of the time. But I figured I'd rather over pump it a bit in case I need to use it as a makeshift fire truck when burning weeds...

I completely removed the booms and will be basically using it as a giant spot sprayer... So yeah that pump that was on it was ridiculously oversized. I really don't spray much at all anymore other than ditches, some fence lines, around buildings, and the gated pipe at the top of my fields so irrigating isn't a pain in the ass. Everything else gets mowed or swathed and baled. I like grass and weeds on my roads and ditch banks because it stops erosion and gives me a place to drive when it gets muddy. Once in a great while if I have a lot of extra water to get something started I might spray a field to kill back weeds and then go in and drill in some alfalfa and grass... I have a 3pt sprayer to put on a tractor for that.
Right on, you will be solid with that then.

That Honda clone diesel is neat. I think it would nicely replace the predator 212 in my mini bike.

I have a little go cart that I bought from a friend of a friend....it has a predator 212 that may or may not work. I think that honda clone needs to go on it.

Do they have the same mounting pattern as the 212?

I see them listed as anywhere from 3 to 6.5 hp, but also all are 196cc and 2.2kw....which just under 3hp. I wonder what's actually rigth.

I have a little go cart that I bought from a friend of a friend....it has a predator 212 that may or may not work. I think that honda clone needs to go on it.

Do they have the same mounting pattern as the 212?

I see them listed as anywhere from 3 to 6.5 hp, but also all are 196cc and 2.2kw....which just under 3hp. I wonder what's actually rigth.

I think this could fix it if it is 3hp

Bump

billybob_81067 how did these engines end up working out?

I need to repower a leaf vac....the predator 212 I put on it last year barely make the season before the impeller snapped the crank off. (To be fair, it was running like shit and I think the heavy impeller was flywheeling it. The constant stalling out of the engine and then the mass of the spinning impeller starting it back up probably wasn't the best for it.)

I was googling these little 3-5 hp engines and this thread came up.

I got one on my mini bike.
It shakes a lot.
It smokes.
Probably won't be able to get parts.
Way less power then a 212.
Its a different shaft size then a 212.
But mine hasn't had any issues and I've done two 24 hour endurance races with it now.

Bump

billybob_81067 how did these engines end up working out?

I need to repower a leaf vac....the predator 212 I put on it last year barely make the season before the impeller snapped the crank off. (To be fair, it was running like shit and I think the heavy impeller was flywheeling it. The constant stalling out of the engine and then the mass of the spinning impeller starting it back up probably wasn't the best for it.)

I was googling these little 3-5 hp engines and this thread came up.
In true fashion, they are still sitting on the shelf, and the project got back-burnered due to other emergency shit breaking and needing fixed constantly! I really do need to get it going before next spring though because I need to start spraying more and mowing less.

I got one on my mini bike.
It shakes a lot.
It smokes.
Probably won't be able to get parts.
Way less power then a 212.
Its a different shaft size then a 212.
But mine hasn't had any issues and I've done two 24 hour endurance races with it now.

Yeah, the shaft diameter was a concern. I'm more concerned that the 3hp wont' be enough and it's a huge price jump to get the 5 hp one.

Sounds like it's getting another 212 then. Maybe a properly running one will last longer. :laughing:

The original engine (shitty 5hp briggs) broke the connecting rod. Pulled the 212 off a gokart and it ran (shittily) for 4-5 hours and then the crank snapped off.

In true fashion, they are still sitting on the shelf, and the project got back-burnered due to other emergency shit breaking and needing fixed constantly! I really do need to get it going before next spring though because I need to start spraying more and mowing less.
Sounds about right. If I didn't need this vac for the incoming fall oak leaves, I'd gladly put it off.

Not off fleabay but other venues.

6.8KW or 9.?? HP.

KW X 1.34102 = HP.

20230922_103724.jpg

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh