What's new

Anyone handy near Austin, TX want to make some money?

Fullsizeyota

Member Number
This is a long shot but here goes.

I bought a specialty lathe from Govplanet. I won the auction but the seller has no loading dock, equipment or will offer any assistance to load. It's as-is, where-is.

I cannot for the life of me find an LTL carrier that will entertain the load. I need someone with a lift gate, 5 strong dudes, egyptian heritage, whatever you've got to pickup this lathe, strap it to a pallet and drop it off at an LTL terminal. Im open to ideas.

I tried calling a few towing companies to pick it up with a roll back, palletize and deliver and they're on board until I mention the word pallet.

the lathe is a small one. Approx 60L x 44W x 44T. 1100lbs. It's not exactly "heavy" but it's more than someone is going to muscle around.

this needs to be picked up next Wednesday. I'm more than willing to pay, I just need someone responsible and trust worthy enough to get this done and palletized sufficient enough that it will make a 900 mile trip.

if anyone is coming from Austin to Vegas or passing through to Salt Lake, let's talk

I'm in Austin most of the time.. for now.. but I'm out of shape now.. don't know how much help I could be

trying to brain storm on this.. do you know where in Austin??

when you say 60L ,,, is that inches?? 5 feet??

I haven't tried any yet, I didn't know if that was too heavy for them. I guess they move gun safes, this can't be much worse?.. thanks!

I'm in Austin most of the time.. for now.. but I'm out of shape now.. don't know how much help I could be

trying to brain storm on this.. do you know where in Austin??

when you say 60L ,,, is that inches?? 5 feet??

Yes, inches sorry for the confusion.

the only information I have this evening is Zip code 78741. I'm assuming it's some sort of .gov warehouse because the ad said it's ONLY available on Wednesdays, by appointment only. Super convenient

Central Transportation Sytems, Austin Tx
512-651-0142
They state they can/will move just about anything.
Advertise also an agent for Unite Van Lines

I am actually not far away from the area. I wonder if I could rent an open UHaul trailer and comealong it up inside. Can you post a picture of the lathe? I want to get an idea of what the legs and feet look like.

Maybe instead of palletizing it, I could tarp and strap it on the trailer and you get a hotshot to tow it to you and you return the trailer there.

Also post the address of where it is so I can eyeball them from the google.

Last edited:
This is what it looks like. The casters have been added and are not original. I do not know how sturdy they are or if they would even make the trip. I'm thinking the pallet or crate might have to at minimum block the wheels.

I was originally thinking I could have a rollback grab it and get it out of the sellers way. and palletize it from there and drop it off at an LTL terminal. A buddy wondered if a pallet jack might catch enough of the machine to move it but I have no way of knowing if thats an option and with the casters, that doesn't do much good anyway

If the casters weren't on it, I would think it could be dropped onto a pallet and bolted or screwed to the pallet good enough to make the trip. It might be more work than its worth to remove the casters.

Ideally, I would like someone to grab it from the seller, throw it on a pallet and build OSB sides around it. Those LTL drivers can get wild.

photo52021.png

I am actually not far away from the area. I wonder if I could rent an open UHaul trailer and comealong it up inside. Can you post a picture of the lathe? I want to get an idea of what the legs and feet look like.

Maybe instead of palletizing it, I could tarp and strap it on the trailer and you get a hotshot to tow it to you and you return the trailer there.

Also post the address of where it is so I can eyeball them from the google.

I don't hate the idea but its got to go a long ways from Austin and the hot shotters are throwing F-you quotes at me.. I'm in St George, Utah. Great for wheelin, shitty for getting a load thats going back out of town- from a truckers perspective. I really think the LTL is about the only way to go

I don't hate the idea but its got to go a long ways from Austin and the hot shotters are throwing F-you quotes at me.. I'm in St George, Utah. Great for wheelin, shitty for getting a load thats going back out of town- from a truckers perspective. I really think the LTL is about the only way to go

Hell, I could load that onto a UHaul open trailer by myself. I could offload it at my garage and then at least you have some time to figure out what to do. And if you don't, I get a lathe! :flipoff2:

Hell, I could load that onto a UHaul open trailer by myself. I could offload it at my garage and then at least you have some time to figure out what to do. And if you don't, I get a lathe! :flipoff2:

It's not the worst idea floated so far.. I like options :smokin:

Someone close should be able to help with that little guy.

Engine hoist? Looks a little big but just tossing out ideas
rent a forklift and have them drop it at that warehouse? :laughing: idk what your commitment level is

What are those weird lifter things that commercial hvac construction guys use? What's the weight rating on one of those? :laughing::laughing:

I tried bribing some buddies in my town to drive down and grab it. I tried to lure them with the thought of going on a BBQ food tour to TX but nobody is excited yet:laughing:

rent a forklift and have them drop it at that warehouse? :laughing: idk what your commitment level is

The thought has crossed my mind. Whats the minimum usually? 4 hours?

I can't for the life of me think someone would own this machine and not have a forklift or some way to move material. I think they're just being dicks!

What are those weird lifter things that commercial hvac construction guys use? What's the weight rating on one of those? :laughing::laughing:

The hand crank fork lifter deals? Seems like they will go about 1000lbs but they get sketchy as hell unless the weight it right against the forks and low to the ground. 1000lbs is ambitious!

I tried bribing some buddies in my town to drive down and grab it. I tried to lure them with the thought of going on a BBQ food tour to TX but nobody is excited yet:laughing:

No need for any of this lifting of which some speak. Plain old Egyptian techniques get it on casters into the trailer. Block it so the weight is off the casters, strap it down, offload into my garage. I can store it for a reasonable time no problem. If your buds get the urge, I can also take y'all to the range.

No need for any of this lifting of which some speak. Plain old Egyptian techniques get it on casters into the trailer. Block it so the weight is off the casters, strap it down, offload into my garage. I can store it for a reasonable time no problem. If your buds get the urge, I can also take y'all to the range.

Do you guys have any ammo for sale down there? that might be what gets them in the truck:laughing:

Do you guys have any ammo for sale down there? that might be what gets them in the truck:laughing:

There's ammo at the range but you have to shoot it there. Anything else is catch as catch can, although I hear that Academy and Cabela's down here are getting stocked. Have not had time to check for myself.

see if you can get a pick that shows how big it is??

that does not look 5 feet long in the pic, and I researched and most most Lathes are not that big

I only live like 10-15 minutes from that part of town.. I have no other plans.. I can film a little of the (before it ships action) in case it gets harmed in transit.. lol

as long as its not in the morning, I stay up all night, when I can

edit: the op is new and would have no idea that I like makin videos to share on youtube .. so this is me telling him/her.. oh and if someone asks if its in the riverside area, the answer is yes

Last edited:
see if you can get a pick that shows how big it is??

that does not look 5 feet long in the pic, and I researched and most most Lathes are not that big

I only live like 10-15 minutes from that part of town.. I have no other plans.. I can film a little of the (before it ships action) in case it gets harmed in transit.. lol

as long as its not in the morning, I stay up all night, when I can

edit: the op is new and would have no idea that I like makin videos to share on youtube .. so this is me telling him/her.. oh and if someone asks if its in the riverside area, the answer is yes

Yea, that does not look like it matches the stated dimensions at all.

Ideally, I would like someone to grab it from the seller, throw it on a pallet and build OSB sides around it. Those LTL drivers can get wild.

This...

And secure the "shipping crate" with straps/wire so pallet wouldn't move/slide around during transit.

In for the video. I have seen a 4 legged lathe tipped over during a move by inexperienced movers-

​​​​​

Well shit, we dont run any freight to Nevada. Fuck an LTL carrier, find a hotshot co. Start with Hazels Hotshot out of SA. Im gonna warn you, if you have it picked up and hauled out, its not gonna be cheap. Its small enough that it can fit on the front of a trailer and be part of a larger load, so that should help with cost.

If I could get a load going that far west, Id have to probably dh to Az to get something back this way.
​​​​​

look for rigging companies, not moving companies. there’s also a lot that just call themselves machine tool movers. I know a few in houston, but i don’t deal with any in austin. Certainly more expensive than egyptian slaves, but you don’t have to worry as much about the locusts.

On another note, have you considered just getting someone to disassemble it? A lot of lathes like that will break down, they were mailed in pieces from Montgomery ward or such to begin with. they’ll come apart into 3 or 4 pieces that one guy could manhandle around.

Last edited:
I have moved lathes in similar situations. Used a cherry picker and rolled a landscape trailer under it...Any low flatbed trailer will work...Lathes are top heavy and a fall over will fuck it up...The one in the photo looks like an easy tip over...Where are the Mexicans?

If you can find someone to store it i have plans to drive from ca to texas and back sometime in the next 6 months.

I was going to suggest engine hoist as well if it’s only 1100#

Also a hand crank stacker lift and a strap would get it into the bed of the truck fairly easy and they are cheap to rent.

Top Back Refresh