What's new

Anyone else getting these covid notifications

dntsdad

Central California
Member Number
Loc
Central California
I get these every fucking morning at 5am.
wakes me up every. Fucking. Time.

Can't figure out how to block them from coming.

Android Samsung s8

Anyone else and was able to block without installing cause fuck that.
Screenshot_20201211-060333_Google Play services.jpg

Check to see if you unknowing allowed the virus app on your phone , what ever you do , do not delete it, remember it is there for your own good :vader:

Yep, that thing is definitely not allowed on any of my devices. It basically lets your phone reach out with bluetooth and scan other phones, while it allows itself to be scanned... and then packages that all up with location data and sends it off to the government. No thank you.

There's also supposed to be a new rapid covid test about to be released that you can do in your home. You swab your own nose, and then stick the swap in a little device that pairs to your phone, and your phone has an app on it that sends everything off to somewhere in the cloud to tell you if you tested positive for covid. Really guys? You really need to send that info somewhere else?

Yes but I think I shut them off. App settings or something. Block notifications from app / play store.
Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_20201214-043053_Google Play services.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.9 KB ID:	237276

Yep, that thing is definitely not allowed on any of my devices. It basically lets your phone reach out with bluetooth and scan other phones, while it allows itself to be scanned... and then packages that all up with location data and sends it off to the government. No thank you.

There's also supposed to be a new rapid covid test about to be released that you can do in your home. You swab your own nose, and then stick the swap in a little device that pairs to your phone, and your phone has an app on it that sends everything off to somewhere in the cloud to tell you if you tested positive for covid. Really guys? You really need to send that info somewhere else?

Sounds like a gathering DNA system to me.

No, but Google doesn't push bullshit to their phones like the other brands do. Well, except the alert shit built into Assistant that's on every Android phone now.

I'm constantly getting suggestions for COVID apps though, it's annoying as shit.

Sounds like a gathering DNA system to me.

There were talking about it on NPR yesterday(yes, I actually listen to npr cause I'm a lefty duh) and the whole time they're explaining it I'm think it sounds great... Easier nose swab- good. Little guard so you can do your kids without giving them a bloody nose- cool. Put swab into little pregnancy test looking thing- ok, fine. Pair to phone using app and upload data- NOOOOOOOOO.

It was surreal to hear people talk excitedly about that. A long time ago it was the liberal hippies who distrusted the government. I wish I knew where that all went.

No, but Google doesn't push bullshit to their phones like the other brands do. Well, except the alert shit built into Assistant that's on every Android phone now.

I'm constantly getting suggestions for COVID apps though, it's annoying as shit.

? I got that notification my unlocked Pixel 4.

Been to my app notification settings. Not there.

Went to my emergency notification settings (Amber Alerts, etc.) Not there.

Called the CaCovid tech line. They don't know how to make it not alert me.

I have an hour going through every menu and setting. Nothing there.

Fucking pissing me off. Goes off at 5am and then I can't get back to sleep. I get up at 6ish.

Found this from Forbes

How to disable Apple and Google COVID-19 exposure notification

If you've decided, for whatever reason, that contact tracing isn't something that you want to participate in, then you'll likely be looking for ways to disable or delete the exposure notification framework.

Remember, however, if you don't enable exposure notifications, then you will not be notified if you have potentially been exposed to COVID-19. Only you alone can determine if that is a risk worth taking, and the flip of this is that you might also expose others who would be none the wiser if you had the infection.

First things first, then: you don't need to 'disable' exposure notifications as they are not enabled by default. As I've already made clear, the exposure notification framework currently only works if you have installed an official tracking app and opted into using the notification system. Even if, or when, it becomes part of the operating system without the need for a separately installed app, it will still be an opt-in thing.

Google said that you can turn off exposure notifications in your Android phone settings or uninstall the official public health app if you've previously installed one when it becomes available. Just go to the settings app, click on Google|COVID-19 exposure notifications, and you can toggle them on or off from there. From the same place, you can also delete any random IDs that have been stored by clicking on Delete random IDs|Delete.

Apple said that the "choice to use this technology rests with the user, and he or she can turn it off at any time by uninstalling the contact tracing application or turning off exposure notification in Settings." As with Android users, the toggle for exposure logging is off by default in iOS 13.5 and later. If you have installed an officially authorized app and opted into exposure notification use, then you need to go to Settings|Privacy|Health from where you can toggle them on or off. You can also delete any exposure logs, kept for 14 days as with Android devices, from the same settings page.

Remember, in both cases, you won't be notified if you've been exposed to COVID-19.

There were talking about it on NPR yesterday(yes, I actually listen to npr cause I'm a lefty duh) and the whole time they're explaining it I'm think it sounds great... Easier nose swab- good. Little guard so you can do your kids without giving them a bloody nose- cool. Put swab into little pregnancy test looking thing- ok, fine. Pair to phone using app and upload data- NOOOOOOOOO.

It was surreal to hear people talk excitedly about that. A long time ago it was the liberal hippies who distrusted the government. I wish I knew where that all went.

I did the same thing. "Hey what a neat system... oh wait, upload.NOPE!"

And it will be $30. You going to use my generated date and I get the privilege to pay for it? Double nope

I haven't had even one single text message, or suggested Covid app on my wall mounted home rotary dial phone.

Life is good. :flipoff2:

Oh, and, fuck mobile phones!

I haven't had even one single text message, or suggested Covid app on my wall mounted home rotary dial phone.

funny they still charge you extra for touch tone service, even though maintaining the pulse dialing functionality no doubt loses them a lot of money every year

Must be Android related :flipoff2:

It definitely is. On the apple side the feature just gets installed with an update without asking you. True story, one of my coworkers noticed the option to turn it on/off on his phone. He says it's built into the ios.

Been to my app notification settings. Not there.

Went to my emergency notification settings (Amber Alerts, etc.) Not there.

Called the CaCovid tech line. They don't know how to make it not alert me.

I have an hour going through every menu and setting. Nothing there.

Fucking pissing me off. Goes off at 5am and then I can't get back to sleep. I get up at 6ish.

Or just start your day an hour earlier thanks to your new alarm.

I got one a few days ago. I was in a grocery store, you could hear that tone all over the store since others got it too

For iPhone- Settings > Notifications > Government Alerts

I just turned all that shit off

Last edited:
It definitely is. On the apple side the feature just gets installed with an update without asking you. True story, one of my coworkers noticed the option to turn it on/off on his phone. He says it's built into the ios.
No issues here :confused: I’m up to date on latest iOS on multiple devices

[486 said:
;n237598]

funny they still charge you extra for touch tone service, even though maintaining the pulse dialing functionality no doubt loses them a lot of money every year

Yep, $2 a month.

I'd cancel it, but momma does have a cordless phone. It is nice for caller ID, and whenever I have to "press 2" to reach the parts department. Pisses me off whenever I'm calling somewhere and have to press a button and have no option to "stay on the line"

Ends with me frantically trying to find the cordless, then they hang up.:lmao:

Yep, $2 a month.

I'd cancel it, but momma does have a cordless phone. It is nice for caller ID, and whenever I have to "press 2" to reach the parts department. Pisses me off whenever I'm calling somewhere and have to press a button and have no option to "stay on the line"

Ends with me frantically trying to find the cordless, then they hang up.:lmao:
for a little while they had a switch "tt" and "pd"
just use the pd one to dial, then switch to tt for the menus
or have a second phone on the line for the stupid fuckin' menus

Found this from Forbes

How to disable Apple and Google COVID-19 exposure notification

If you've decided, for whatever reason, that contact tracing isn't something that you want to participate in, then you'll likely be looking for ways to disable or delete the exposure notification framework.

Remember, however, if you don't enable exposure notifications, then you will not be notified if you have potentially been exposed to COVID-19. Only you alone can determine if that is a risk worth taking, and the flip of this is that you might also expose others who would be none the wiser if you had the infection.

First things first, then: you don't need to 'disable' exposure notifications as they are not enabled by default. As I've already made clear, the exposure notification framework currently only works if you have installed an official tracking app and opted into using the notification system. Even if, or when, it becomes part of the operating system without the need for a separately installed app, it will still be an opt-in thing.

Google said that you can turn off exposure notifications in your Android phone settings or uninstall the official public health app if you've previously installed one when it becomes available. Just go to the settings app, click on Google|COVID-19 exposure notifications, and you can toggle them on or off from there. From the same place, you can also delete any random IDs that have been stored by clicking on Delete random IDs|Delete.

Apple said that the "choice to use this technology rests with the user, and he or she can turn it off at any time by uninstalling the contact tracing application or turning off exposure notification in Settings." As with Android users, the toggle for exposure logging is off by default in iOS 13.5 and later. If you have installed an officially authorized app and opted into exposure notification use, then you need to go to Settings|Privacy|Health from where you can toggle them on or off. You can also delete any exposure logs, kept for 14 days as with Android devices, from the same settings page.

Remember, in both cases, you won't be notified if you've been exposed to COVID-19.

I read this this morning. This just tells you how to deal with it AFTER you install the app.

The notification I get, is asking me to install the app. I want that to go away.

Top Back Refresh