What's new

Anybody own the Craftsman VERSASTACK 230-piece Tool set?

Online stores are easier to operate. I was as shocked as you.

Also….I still can’t find what sockets are included in the original question. :lmao:

9/16, 1/2, 7/16, 3/8, 14mm, 13mm, 12mm, 10mm

PXL_20221221_172550608.jpg

PXL_20221221_172647160.MP.jpg
Online stores are easier to operate. I was as shocked as you.

Also….I still can’t find what sockets are included in the original question. :lmao:
Ya I forgot about that question to.

Lee since you're the only one who knows, what is the socket range per drive size? I don't need a parts list, but how's about smallest/largest? Thanks.

Pass, that's like a 60 piece tool set in a lunch box with a bunch of bit drivers and allen keys sprinkled in to pump up the numbers.

Like every craftsman set

Even then, if you actually look at all the sockets, so many are repetitive. Do you really need a 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 socket in both 12 point and 6 point in a smaller set? But then only like 4 wrenches

Next socket set I buy will be milwaukee. I really like the squared off drive end to keep them rolling away.

Like every craftsman set

Even then, if you actually look at all the sockets, so many are repetitive. Do you really need a 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 socket in both 12 point and 6 point in a smaller set? But then only like 4 wrenches

Next socket set I buy will be milwaukee. I really like the squared off drive end to keep them rolling away.
I do like the Wilfuckee stuff too. Guy I work with has them. Too nice for the trail though.
Do to the lack of wrenches I'm prolly gonna pass. The only appeal this crapsman set had to me was the storage (I like boxes over bags myself, but I always overpack the bags which is one of my issues with them).

No suggestions but new craftsman is junk. Gear wrench seems to be better but less Taiwan and more China lately. Amazon bargains can be had cheap. Used sockets for 1/4 the price etc.

My first professional toolset was the old version of that kit. 350 piece maybe? All made in USA though.

Save your money and assemble with Tekton in 3/8 and 1/2 drive sizes.

Their sockets come in all sizes included.

Never used their ratchets, someone else can chime in...

Piece it together as it fits your needs.
As for storage, I am also in the canvas bag / stackable tote category...
This guy knows. The rest of you sucker consumers, however...

I have several of these to keep in each vehicle for roadside emergencies
The video is entertaining

I have a ghetto bag filled with randoms and very limited storage space. A blow molded case of tools that doesnt let half the shit fall out and not filled with small crap to pump the numbers. Is that out there yet?

Last edited:
This tool thread made me ask some questions, as when did craftsman tools start making tools outside of the usa.

That question wasnt really answered but I did find this site that might be of interest to others here.

This tool thread made me ask some questions, as when did craftsman tools start making tools outside of the usa.

That question wasnt really answered but I did find this site that might be of interest to others here.

You gotta pick though it to find the deals. But this site has gotten a bunch of my money:laughing:

That's an interesting list.
Especially with Snap-On being omitted but Stanley-B&D being listed. You'd be hard-pressed to find any S-B&D tools made anywhere in the western hemisphere right now.
Tekton being made in USA? Several of my co-workers have Tekton sockets and wrenches, none say made in USA?
That said, it has clued me in to some brands I don't typically think of:beer:

The video is entertaining

I have a ghetto bag filled with randoms and very limited storage space. A blow molded case of tools that doesnt let half the shit fall out and not filled with small crap to pump the numbers. Is that out there yet?
No
Every plastic case is a huge space waster ,
And they always include 48 Allen wrenches and screwdriver bits to market their 200 piece tool set ,

Even regular box wrenches are useless to me now that I have a set of flex head ratchet wrenches

I never use a normal wrench unless the ratchet wrench simply won’t fit in the space

Craftsman started making all their tools in China a few years ago .
At the same time as they stopped honoring their lifetime free replacement warranty

But they didn’t cut the price by 76%
Apparently the geniuses at Sears thought we would still keep paying full price for chinesium tools instead of going to harbor freight or northern tool or wherever for Chinese tools at Chinese tool prices .

Be interseting to see the list of what tools snap on actually makes vs just slapping their name on
Agreed, but when they slap their name on something it's typically good.

Seen their new locking pliers? Not made by S-O, but by Malco in Nebraska. Apparently in one of the original US vise-grip plants? Dunno for sure, doesn't matter. Whatever those locking pliers cost they are worth every penny. They are the shit. You can buy them that say "Malco" on it but you ain't saving much over S-O. Except now their website says they are discontinuing their locking plier line (I hope it's only because they are becoming exclusive to S-O vs. not making them anymore at all). Before the Malco rebrands our local Snap-on driver wouldn't bother to keep the snap-on branded locking pliers because they were made in spain and were shit. He stocked Irwin's for guys who wanted locking pliers from the truck. I'm gonna be pissed if the Malco locking pliers go away, first time in forever that using a set of locking pliers wasn't an exercise in futility.

That's an interesting list.
Especially with Snap-On being omitted but Stanley-B&D being listed. You'd be hard-pressed to find any S-B&D tools made anywhere in the western hemisphere right now.
Tekton being made in USA? Several of my co-workers have Tekton sockets and wrenches, none say made in USA?
That said, it has clued me in to some brands I don't typically think of:beer:
just bought a tekton torque wrench.
company is based in michigan.
doubt the product is made there.
did have an american name on the calibration tag for what that's worth. Id guess they're importing and doing QC here.

I also have the tekton thin slim wrench set I needed for a Dirtbike or bike headset I think. It seems quality. But I bought it once for one job, so….:homer:

I also have the tekton thin slim wrench set I needed for a Dirtbike or bike headset I think. It seems quality. But I bought it once for one job, so….:homer:
I get the vibe that you're paying for top quality china, and for them to actually have stock here in the US to send you a replacement.
no where does it say made in china, and it's decent feeling, but I haven't used it yet other than to check some lug bolts.
felt like 80 ft lbs?

bags and rolls are far superior than them boxes for cheap tools to be tossed into rigs :flipoff2:
Yup. I hate those blow molded cases, if you use them and/or they're stored in a hot garage, the hinges will eventually fail and the tool locations will loosen up. I like the canvas type with the large opening top, ratchet strap 'em down and GTG.

51ljCPryUdL._AC_US75_.jpg

This one cracks me up :lmao: Mayhew heel bars are another one that comes to mind that gets rebranded
Oh, I'm not saying they aren't overpriced when they do rebrand them:laughing:

Glad you pointed this out, our local SO driver likes to say that OTC is the "obsolete tool co." Meanwhile I'm buying OTC stuff to save the 3x markup for the same tool from SO:flipoff2:.
Also agreed on Mayhew leverage tools being quite excellent and not worth buying with "favorite tool truck" logo on them. WILDE has decent striking/leverage tools, but not as good as Mayhew. WILDE's pliers (slip-joint or 'channel-lock' style0 are most excellent for the price too.

Is it just me or has the price of basic hand tool sets of various sizes skyrocketed over the past few years? I picked up a basic 3/8 and 1/4 Hart set to throw in a car for ~$25 in 2020ish and it's over $50 now.

Oh, I'm not saying they aren't overpriced when they do rebrand them:laughing:

Glad you pointed this out, our local SO driver likes to say that OTC is the "obsolete tool co." Meanwhile I'm buying OTC stuff to save the 3x markup for the same tool from SO:flipoff2:.
Also agreed on Mayhew leverage tools being quite excellent and not worth buying with "favorite tool truck" logo on them. WILDE has decent striking/leverage tools, but not as good as Mayhew. WILDE's pliers (slip-joint or 'channel-lock' style0 are most excellent for the price too.

I found it funny that snapon is even using OTC as part of the part number:laughing:

A blow molded case of tools that doesnt let half the shit fall out and not filled with small crap to pump the numbers. Is that out there yet?
I'm in the market for something like this, I had a kobalt "mechanics" set for a while and it was ok. Is there anything out there that's better for the similar deal and price point?

A blow molded case of tools that doesnt let half the shit fall out and not filled with small crap to pump the numbers. Is that out there yet?
Ya, but it typically says "blue-point" or "matco" on it for $500 :barf:

Blue Point BLGSSC155 155pc Combination Drive SAE/Metric General Service Set 0130
New MATCO SILVER EAGLE MASTER SOCKET SET SAB100SE - 101pc set | eBay

I'd give $150-200 for a Kobalt-GW-Cresent-HF Pitt-Pro set that was comprehensive with sockets, ratchets, handles and the like but with a wrench set that went up to 15/16" and 22mm and a decent 8pc screwdriver set. I'd settle for something around 120pcs but with pieces you could actually use without taking up a bunch of room with bullshit.

Cresent has had some decent sets like this, but they are always missing something I think is important.

Steve300xcw I like the GW stuff too from a quality/price standpoint but the cases suck ass for carrying in a trail rig or even for service calls. If they would charge me another 20 bucks and give me a better case I’d have never started this thread.

I agree. For riding in the tool box of the truck, they arent bad, but there is room for improvement. Nice tools for the price though.

I always worked out of tool bags. They seem to stuff into places easier and they dont rattle and vibrate against shit. Gotta use good socket rails if you are doing that though.

Top Back Refresh