What's new

Anybody own the Craftsman VERSASTACK 230-piece Tool set?

IowaOffRoad

King shit of turd island
BRC
Member Number
Loc
Under the apple tree
VERSASTACK™ 230 pc. 3-Drawer Mechanic Tool Set | CRAFTSMAN

I'm interested in this as a compact, organized toolset on the cheap for the wheeling rig. Currently I have a 15yo Cresent set that's in one of the fold-out cases and a shitty HF toolbag for what that set is lacking. I'm having difficulty finding a list of what size tools are in this set. Basically I'd like to know what sizes the wrenches go to and the 1/2 socket set. It's on sale right now from between $100-120 depending on where you look.

I'm comparing it to this:
80944 232 Pc. Mechanics Tool Set in 3 Drawer Storage Box - Gearwrench
which is on sale right now from the homeless despot for $200, slightly cheaper or more expensive depending on where you look.

Both are a good deal, but I'll spend the extra 80 or so on the GW if the Crapsman doesn't have what I need.

I dont think i've ever seen a box with this much wasted/worthless space in it. WTF?

1671563811013.png

I have the red/black version of that gearwrench set for a few years now.

it's pretty ok. the craftsman box has some features I'd like but also seems like some more shit I'd break in a tool case taking it around places. The gear wrench set is pretty good for grab a single box and go do most shit.

edit:
My set is not ratcheting wrenches. You fancy.
:flipoff2:

I
I have the red/black version of that gearwrench set for a few years now.

it's pretty ok. the craftsman box has some features I'd like but also seems like some more shit I'd break in a tool case taking it around places. The gear wrench set is pretty good for grab a single box and go do most shit.

edit:
My set is not ratcheting wrenches. You fancy.
:flipoff2:
d actually prefer non-ratcheting for the trail as there’s places the box end won’t fit. I’m also cheap so just looking at what’s on sale which is what led me to looking harder at crapsman, which I typically avoid.
:flipoff2: All you craftsmen fanbois :flipoff2::flipoff2:

Its chinkanese right ?

Would rather 6 point sockets and the older style rachets

VERSASTACK™ 230 pc. 3-Drawer Mechanic Tool Set | CRAFTSMAN

I'm interested in this as a compact, organized toolset on the cheap for the wheeling rig. Currently I have a 15yo Cresent set that's in one of the fold-out cases and a shitty HF toolbag for what that set is lacking. I'm having difficulty finding a list of what size tools are in this set. Basically I'd like to know what sizes the wrenches go to and the 1/2 socket set. It's on sale right now from between $100-120 depending on where you look.

I'm comparing it to this:
80944 232 Pc. Mechanics Tool Set in 3 Drawer Storage Box - Gearwrench
which is on sale right now from the homeless despot for $200, slightly cheaper or more expensive depending on where you look.

Both are a good deal, but I'll spend the extra 80 or so on the GW if the Crapsman doesn't have what I need.,
i have a similar gear wrench set, standard wrenches not the ratching ones.

I

d actually prefer non-ratcheting for the trail as there’s places the box end won’t fit. I’m also cheap so just looking at what’s on sale which is what led me to looking harder at crapsman, which I typically avoid.
:flipoff2: All you craftsmen fanbois :flipoff2::flipoff2:
I'll never buy another cent in craftsman tools. They wont warranty any of the thousands of $ of tools I bought for my kids over the last 20 years. F'm right in the goat ass. :flipoff:

230 pieces and 60 of them are the 1/4 duplicated #1 and #2 screwdriver bits.

All my stuff is those Neiko sets. The 3/8 kit would fit fine in a wheeling rig. The 1/4 kit I could take on my motorcycle if I needed to.

My friend has the old version of that set, haven't used it in 15 years but remember the aggravation of having to jump between every drive size and short/ deep because none of the sets have all the sizes. There was enough to get the job done though.

carried this around in the 4runner for years. Seems much better organized than the craftsman. I tend to like the Kobalt sockets...

EDIT: and the kobalt holds the sockets in tight... looks like the craftsman doesn't.

For the price, I'm almost tempted to buy another one of these and throw it in the DD...

Last edited:
I'll never buy another cent in craftsman tools. They wont warranty any of the thousands of $ of tools I bought for my kids over the last 20 years. F'm right in the goat ass. :flipoff:

I spent more hours than I care to on the phone with them. tear drop polished 1/4 drive ratchet with the part number on it. sorry sir we dont have that part number in our system so we cant warranty it. well replace it then with something else? sorry sir we cant do that if the part number isnt......ya yayayaya. tried with several items and no luck. like i said, f-m right in the goat ass.

I don’t have. Looks like a ton of wasted space as mentioned before.
My past experience with a Craftsman metal box of similar setup was the weight of the tools destroyed the box rather quickly.
My $0.02 is get a tool bag

Save your money and assemble with Tekton in 3/8 and 1/2 drive sizes.

Their sockets come in all sizes included.

Never used their ratchets, someone else can chime in...

Piece it together as it fits your needs.
As for storage, I am also in the canvas bag / stackable tote category...

Serious? I thought they were carrying the warranty forward. That's some bullshit

Still got old-school craftsman in my box. Preferred ratchets are the Carlyle brand from napa.

That craftsman set looks shit-tastic. You could get better tools from autozone.

Save your money and assemble with Tekton in 3/8 and 1/2 drive sizes.

Their sockets come in all sizes included.
Timely. This was just delivered today. Tekton 1/4" set. I like the fact Tekton has no skips. I fuckin' hate skips.

I was working on my mower this summer and had to make a store run. I left my toolbox tray with all my 1/4" stuff on the bed cover. Fell off into 3' tall grass somewhere on the road.:homer:

tekton.jpg

Last edited:
I have one of these: KBOISHA 3/8" Drive Impact Socket Set,49-Piece 6 Point Socket Set Standard SAE and Metric Sizes (5/16-Inch to 3/4-Inch and 8-22 mm) Cr-V Steel Sockets with Adapters & Ratchet Handle
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CXBQDMN
51D0xF0l8NL._AC_SY580_.jpg

The ratchet is iffy (flips back and forth too easily), replace it with a HF one and it would be a good kit.

Aaron Z

http://snaponlevel5.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/SOI-20153-KMC18GMTKG-v1.png

The US military politely disagrees :flipoff2:

Seriously though, if I had the $$$ I’d just buy snap on level 5.
The duralast kits they have in autozone are fairly decent. I think its has fairly fine tooth ratchets. Laser etched socket sizes, so that kinda sucks. And a nifty blow molded case with latches. So when all the little never used bits fall out of their holders, at least they won't fall out and all over your floorboards as it's bouncing around in the back.

Serious? I thought they were carrying the warranty forward. That's some bullshit
It's completely store dependent. I know the Lowe's and Ace hardwares around me don't ask any questions and will tell you to pick what you want if they don't have a match. I don't know if they care too much or not at all about the warranty, but it works for me

Top Back Refresh