What's new

Any way to check out a non running 5.4?

Defecater

Member Number
Picked up the remnants of an 09 SuperDuty last week, mostly for the axles/chassis. Sounds like it has changed hands numerous times, shedding parts along the way. Guy I got it from days it was supposedly a running driving truck. I know these 3v 5.4 engines had issues with cam phasers. Any way to relatively easily see if this engine is worth a damn??

Sell it or stash it away for future use. I hate scrapping stuff if it is still of use.

Same as anything else, maybe send an oil sample off to get an idea of head gaskets and bottom end bearings
I forget where how the starter bolts up, do a compression test, and bore scope the holes, keep all those records in a file and maybe someday somebody will trust that it's all good.
Personally I wouldn't wait to sell it, on the salvage curve, those trucks are still in use and have enough miles that somebody needs an engine, or somebody has a fleet and will buy a spare, in 5 years the fleets will have turned over and only a broke ass will want to replace his 5.4, you'll get offered broken x boxes and weedeaters and pills for it, take the cash now

If you're looking for 3v specific issues, you'll want to pop the valve covers off and pull a cam cap to check for scoring, also check to make sure the cams aren't eaten up from bad roller followers. Inspect it for sludge, and with the valve covers off you'll be able to see if the phasers are original or not. From there you'll be able to get an okay look at the timing chain guides too. One that late will have the updated heads and the latest versions of all the VCT stuff, they were a lot better than the early ones. If it's a sludge ball inside expect it to be a headache, they don't tolerate poor maintenance.

You may as well figure the chains, tensioners, phasers, solenoids and oil pump needs to be done. I've done a few 5.4's and have found out the the OEM tensioners have gaskets that fail which causes the oil pressure to dump, the updated tensioners have a o-ring which think will solve that problem. Then I'd use the melling HV oil pump along with OEM phasers and solenoids and cloyes chains and guides.
But like said above, if it sledged up forget it.

Allright. Thanks for the advice. Once I get around to getting the frame stripped, I will pull the valve covers off for a look-see. So far all I have done is verify that the engine is not stuck. Turns over by hand with no internal noises, and does have some compression.

Look for holes in the hood. Pesky sparkplugs tend to get loose.

Look for holes in the hood. Pesky sparkplugs tend to get loose.

That is an issue with the early 2 valve trucks ('99-'01 if I recall correctly), the 3 valve trucks were notorious for the spark plugs being stuck :laughing:

Reactions: DMG
Allright. Thanks for the advice. Once I get around to getting the frame stripped, I will pull the valve covers off for a look-see. So far all I have done is verify that the engine is not stuck. Turns over by hand with no internal noises, and does have some compression.

FWIW, from a standpoint of recouping money from a parts truck, list it for sale now so that any interested party can come along and ask questions, make offers, etc. Maybe a guy needs an engine this week, that's opportunity lost
unless you work out of town or something
that's my .02

Top Back Refresh