What's new

Any tuners still available?

spareparts

Red Skull Member
Member Number
After getting everything back to spec on this truck, I'm trying to squeeze a little more mpg out of it. I've heard all the claims about cummins trucks making 50 mpg. Yea,I know it's bs. I'm getting 17 average. Stock 2006 5.9 24 valve. New stock injectors, new stock.pump. turbo is stock( don't know if it's been replaced before I bought it). I can squeeze 20 mpg out of it if I keep in at 2000 rpm or below. That's fine for hwy 17, but going that slow on I95 wil get you run over. 373 gears, 285/70-17s. Running with traffic I'm usually at 2300 rpm. Would a tuner help with mpg at this high of an rpm? I'm not towing anything with it right now, makes plenty of power for what I'm doing. I'm spending a bunch of time going back and forth from Charleston to Raleigh. I looked at tunerdepot.com and they didn't have anything listed for an 06

Be happy with 17! Shit, I never got that good consistently in my 07. Like you, I could squeeze up near 20 if I putted along for a long distance.

I ran the smarty in it fwiw.

After getting everything back to spec on this truck, I'm trying to squeeze a little more mpg out of it. I've heard all the claims about cummins trucks making 50 mpg. Yea,I know it's bs. I'm getting 17 average. Stock 2006 5.9 24 valve. New stock injectors, new stock.pump. turbo is stock( don't know if it's been replaced before I bought it). I can squeeze 20 mpg out of it if I keep in at 2000 rpm or below. That's fine for hwy 17, but going that slow on I95 wil get you run over. 373 gears, 285/70-17s. Running with traffic I'm usually at 2300 rpm. Would a tuner help with mpg at this high of an rpm? I'm not towing anything with it right now, makes plenty of power for what I'm doing. I'm spending a bunch of time going back and forth from Charleston to Raleigh. I looked at tunerdepot.com and they didn't have anything listed for an 06
I have an 06 w/ 6 speed and smarty. Overdrive gear is not tall enough and the truck just sucks fuel above 70. Consistently average 14-15 MPG highway. Can eek out 17-18 on back roads below 50.

Did your truck have a"tune " on it? If so how did you get rid of it?

R48e no existing tune, had acouple developments this week, stay tuned for updates

One side effect of "tuning" electronic engines is your MPG meter gets thrown out of calibration.

Your current fuel economy is pretty good, advancing timing may get you single digit improvements. You need to go slower to use less.

Reactions: DMG
My 05 Cummins with 60K orig miles (48RE) would only get close to 20 (unloaded) If I was well under 70. Anything over 2000 RPM, it
would really suck the fuel. I had the Smarty Touch on it, which the first setting was timing only. It did not increase mileage, but did give
a mild power increase.

I had heard there was a "3rd" injection event that happens after 2000 RPM on the Dodge common rails. Not sure if true. but the mileage loss
after 2000 RPM was way more than you would think, from even just say 2200 RPM, vs 1800/1900.

I fixed the whole issue by getting a new PS that so far is at least 1 MPG worse, but it passes 18 wheelers with ease at 80+ (towing 9K) if you want and climbs 15+% grades like they aren't even there. Screw the MPG's. :beer:

17 is great. Id be happier than a herd of fatties at the buffet if my 6.7L truck got near that. It's usually near single digits mpg.
Pretty sure it'd be cheaper to drive my 10 wheeler Mack than the pickup most days.

I got 23 once in my second gen 24v auto 4.10s with a cap driving upstate. Kept it at or under 65 the whole time. Empty.

Pretty regularly got 18 just boppin around locally. 16ish towing.

Should’ve never sold that truck.

Top Back Refresh