What's new

Any Idea on the Stock Corner Weights of 2002 2500 4x4 with 5.9L Cummins/NV5600/D60/D80

Sean

Member Number
Posted to a couple Dodge specific forums with no luck so far:

I'm thinking of swapping a 2009 SuperDuty Dana 60 into a 2002 Ram2500 4x4 with the 5.9L, NV5600, and Dana 80 rear. The easiest way to do the swap would be coilovers but to get an idea of what I need in terms of rates, I really need wheel scales (which are like a grand) or I need the corner weights to give to Accutune.

I did a search on the site (and across the net) and only found total weights....around 6800-7200 seemed to be the normal number given for this truck in stock form.

I could go down to my local trash dump and weigh the front 'half' of the truck by driving the front tires onto the scale and then dividing by two....though I'm not sure how accurate that's really going to be considering the wheelbase comes into play as does weight bias left to right.

Does anyone happen to know (probably b/c they've done a custom coilover swap; not a pre-packaged 'lift kit')?

TIA....

Sean

Are you really going to get into it hard enough to mismatch front springs?

If you want to just diagonal each tire on to the scale.

Do the front
Do the whole
Do the rear.

You could also just figure 7200lbs @ 60/40-65/35-70/30%

Go over a cat scale at the truck stop for front, rear, and total. If you’re really worried about left and right do it again with only the left tires on the scale.

Weighing each axle is accurate. No need to get 3 weights.

We use truck scales that weigh one axle at a time. Just as accurate as weighing it whole.

I guess I don’t understand the issue anyway. Just change the mounts on the new axle to what the old Dana 60 has and use the stick springs.

I guess I don’t understand the issue anyway. Just change the mounts on the new axle to what the old Dana 60 has and use the stick springs.
Ford SD housings have castings that don't allow for placement of coils where Dodge put them...so unless you want to cut off all the castings, it's far easier to mount them to the knuckles where Ford put them.

Ford SD housings have castings that don't allow for placement of coils where Dodge put them...so unless you want to cut off all the castings, it's far easier to mount them to the knuckles where Ford put them.
Yeah I know, but seems to me, 6 to one, half a dozen the other.

Got any friends that are heavy equipment mechanics? They could rig up a portapower cylinder to a pressure gauge then use some maffs to figure it out.

Also, you're over thinking it:laughing:

If this is just a tow rig, normal diesel truck stuff just run coils and shocks like everybody else

That's actually a helluva lot more work than just sticking c/os on it.

I get the packaging is easy, I was thinking more about the expense and then having to rebuild them in the future, the downtime and the ongoing expense. But if it's worth it to you, goferit.

I get the packaging is easy, I was thinking more about the expense and then having to rebuild them in the future, the downtime and the ongoing expense. But if it's worth it to you, goferit.
I hadn't really considered the ongoing expense....that's a fair point, though this truck has 63K original miles on it...so it's not like I drive it a ton.

Top Back Refresh