What's new

Any Ford V10/ZF5 guys in here?

KenV

What? Me, worry?
Member Number
I found a clean F350 with the 6.8/5 speed combo south of here. Well taken care of, and the price is right. Anyone have good/bad/ugly regarding either the engine or transmission? So far all I've heard is OD popping out, and that the V10 is thirsty. Thanks.

Curious as well. Been half ass looking for a basic bitch standard cab truck for doing farm shit/moving crap that might be sketchy with my F150.

Preferably 05+ for the coil front end.

Got a 02 v10, but auto trans. On the v10, exhaust manifold studs broke off, its a tedious job fixing them, but any shade tree mechanic can get it done.

I run Gibson headers, and I fixed the early y pipe neck down with a SPD y pipe.

Those changes to the exhaust really feel like big changes when driving.

I really don't think its any more thirsty than any big gas job. Dragging a jeep on the trailer, its 10ish. I average 12.5 driving to work running 65.

I don't live where its hilly, my worst tank was around 8 pulling a borrowed deck over helping my dad move some his tractor collection.

Biggest gripes, its got 3.73s (I think all of them should have been 4.30s), and it's a 02 so its leaf sprung. But it doesn't get used much. So its fine for my usage.

Plugs and coils were a 45 minute job on mine.

I have a 5 star set of tunes, definitely perks it up. Its mostly transmission programming, but on the 93 towing tune, it definitely feels like its not working as hard as on 87.

I'd love a single cab v10, stick, 4x4.

Sounds like you use yours the way we'd use this one. I already have a 4.6 car so I can find my way around the 6.8.

I don't know what gears the truck has but I think I can make either work. I've done enough R/P swaps to be okay with the change later on.

I've read a bit about 5 Star for tunes. I may go with them for the Y pipe if I get the truck, as the existing pipe looks like a clown show. Thanks man, much appreciated.

'00 CCSB 4x4x here but auto. 4.56's, Mike's 5star tunes and a 6.0PS trans coler. 3.73's should never have been put in these gas burners, I'd likely do 5.xx in hindsight. Did the exhaust studs on the driver side when one broke. Passenger side still ok so if it aint broke don't fix it. Passenger side won't be as easy due to more restricted access. I wanted a 7.3 when I was truck shopping but they all had 2x the miles and 2x the price 10 years ago. Paid 4K for mine with 150K, 220K now. A ZF would be sweet

'00 CCSB 4x4x here but auto. 4.56's, Mike's 5star tunes and a 6.0PS trans coler. 3.73's should never have been put in these gas burners, I'd likely do 5.xx in hindsight. Did the exhaust studs on the driver side when one broke. Passenger side still ok so if it aint broke don't fix it. Passenger side won't be as easy due to more restricted access. I wanted a 7.3 when I was truck shopping but they all had 2x the miles and 2x the price 10 years ago. Paid 4K for mine with 150K, 220K now. A ZF would be sweet
Thanks for the insight. I don't yet know if this one has 3.73s or 4.30s. I read that first in the ZF is short enough that second gear starts are the norm for a lot of folks, but that's probably with 4.30s out back.

What year? The 2v V10's are stout engines, with the only real issue being the weak spark plug threads.

I agree on gearing... I have 3.73s with stock size tires and I'd like them a bit lower. 4.30s with 32" tires would be perfect, and I plan for 33" tires so I'll eventually swap in some 4.56s.

Other than that it's an older Ford so look for the normal stuff. But parts are common and they are stupidly easy to work on.

Sounds like you use yours the way we'd use this one. I already have a 4.6 car so I can find my way around the 6.8.

I don't know what gears the truck has but I think I can make either work. I've done enough R/P swaps to be okay with the change later on.

I've read a bit about 5 Star for tunes. I may go with them for the Y pipe if I get the truck, as the existing pipe looks like a clown show. Thanks man, much appreciated.

Definitely do the SPD Y-pipe mod. I got mine directly from SPD because they are local, but 5-Star is also a good vendor.

You'll get some exhaust flutter noise from the Y-pipe but it's so worth the benefits.

It's a 2000 model. Yeah, those lovely Modular spark plug holes...

I saw the stock Y-pipe on the 5 Star site. What a mess. I don't think I'd do a tune but the pipe looks like a no-brainer. Thanks man.

I have a 2000, 2v v10 excursion. 4.30 gears. For what it is I love it. I wish it had more transmission gears but it does all I want it too. It pulls alll day long, loves to rev, and likes to downshift. Just let it eat.

It's a 2000 model. Yeah, those lovely Modular spark plug holes...

I saw the stock Y-pipe on the 5 Star site. What a mess. I don't think I'd do a tune but the pipe looks like a no-brainer. Thanks man.

Mine is an 01, so 99% the same truck. I also put an AFE dry air filter in the stock housing and that's it for drivetrain upgrades.

I have a 2000, 2v v10 excursion. 4.30 gears. For what it is I love it. I wish it had more transmission gears but it does all I want it too. It pulls alll day long, loves to rev, and likes to downshift. Just let it eat.

Definitely this. It's an interesting engine... Just give it more throttle, let it rev, and it'll pull anything within reason. Being an older chassis, 10k is about all I trust it for with a frame mounted hitch.

OH SHIT! Something I remembered: if it has the factory Ford hitch, pull it off and cut it up for scrap steel. These came with a frame mounted hitch that was rated for...

5000 pounds.

That's it.

The chassis itself with the V10 is rated to tow 10k with 3.73s and I think 12.5k with 4.30s. Fifth wheel is higher of course. It scares me to think about how many people are pulling 10k loads on that factory 5k hitch. The stickers get old and fall off, or covered with undercoat, and most people just assume it matches the truck's capacity.

Thanks for the info. That's good to hear. If this one has 3.73s I will be in fourth more often. Until I was in the market for one I didn't realize how many motorhomes run that engine.

Mine is an 01, so 99% the same truck. I also put an AFE dry air filter in the stock housing and that's it for drivetrain upgrades.

Definitely this. It's an interesting engine... Just give it more throttle, let it rev, and it'll pull anything within reason. Being an older chassis, 10k is about all I trust it for with a frame mounted hitch.

OH SHIT! Something I remembered: if it has the factory Ford hitch, pull it off and cut it up for scrap steel. These came with a frame mounted hitch that was rated for...

5000 pounds.

That's it.

The chassis itself with the V10 is rated to tow 10k with 3.73s and I think 12.5k with 4.30s. Fifth wheel is higher of course. It scares me to think about how many people are pulling 10k loads on that factory 5k hitch. The stickers get old and fall off, or covered with undercoat, and most people just assume it matches the truck's capacity.
The truck I'm checking out is a shortbed. If possible/wise to do it, I'd like to run a fifth wheel in it for more stable towing. I doubut I'd go over 10K regardless of hitch type because I simply don't have the need. Plus I'd like the trailer on the smaller side, under 20'.

I had no idea about the hitch bracket thingadera. I'll upgrade before yanking half my stuff around the country. Thanks. :beer:

They're fine. I've got an 00 Excursion like Pennsylvaniaboy, but 3.73s and 315-75r16 bfg's (made sure to put the whole tire size so we dont have to go through that dumb shit argument again).

Its slightly doggy with the bigger tires but it'll still move once up to speed.

I wanna swap a 7.3 in :laughing:

Top Back Refresh