What's new

Any Ford diesel techs in here?

Johnny Longrifle

Slow learner
Member Number
Loc
Not where I want to be
My dad recently took his 15 F350 6.7L into the dealer without talking to me first. He got a letter in the mail about an emissions recall, 21E01. They did the reprogram per the recall and gave the truck back. Problem is, something went wrong with the programming, or the knuckleheads at the Ford store put the wrong tune in it. After getting it back, the thing is a gutless POS. It won't get out of its own way. The check engine light comes and goes and is throwing a code for the CCV system. The thing ran perfectly before they got their dick beaters on it. Of course the service department admits no wrong doing, and is only interested in upselling him shit that he dont need.

Im investigating this so I can get my arguments in order. I looked up the most recent calibration on Fords website, and it listed FC3A-AXA. The calibration part number that is in the truck is FC3A-AA. This leads me to believe that the calibration in the truck is much older than the newest version available. Am I correct in thinking this way?

I just want to have my ducks in a row when I call customer service. I have worn out my welcome at the local dealer and need to start calling up the ladder.

Your Dads truck issue likely has nothing to do with the reflash they performed . Unfortunately things like this happen all the time and sometimes it’s just crap luck . Don’t assume it’s Fords fault they SHOULD be the most highly trained and highly knowledgeable techs on your dads trucks hands down .

Your Dads truck issue likely has nothing to do with the reflash they performed . Unfortunately things like this happen all the time and sometimes it’s just crap luck . Don’t assume it’s Fords fault they SHOULD be the most highly trained and highly knowledgeable techs on your dads trucks hands down .
Except the low power issue was noticed pulling out of their lot. Something happened while the truck was in their possession. They are unwilling to attemp to diagnose the low power issue, and instead want to sell him a vacuum pump for $900 (Which is a: not leaking, and b: You don't replace the pump for an oil leak. You replace the gasket and apply locktite to the bolts holding it on. See first pic.)
They also want to sell him an oil seperator (to the tune of $600) to solve the CEL, all the while I stand there and show them a letter from FOMOCO stating the warranty extension for the oil seperator. Neither of those jobs are going to fix the low power issue.(See second pic)

While I agree that they SHOULD be the most highly trained techs, I assure you they are not. This is not the first time I've had trouble with this dealer. Im just as mad at my dad for letting them touch it. Now its my problem to sort out.
What code is it setting?
P04DB

Last edited:
IMG_20211004_180941345.jpg

IMG_20211005_161744335.jpg

I've replaced a bunch of those CCV's, they get loaded up with oil and then it starts feeding oil to the intake air. On a deleted truck you'll see clouds of smoke when it happens.

I've seen posts on other forums where a newbie took his deleted truck in for this update and the reflash re-writes over his delete tune and the truck doesn't run, so they're on the forum looking for tuning which is hard to get these days. Then the dealer tells them that they have to put everything back on it to make it run.

Top Back Refresh