What's new

Any boom lift mechanics here?

If it's like the other lifts (tow behind lifts and a couple of drive around scissor lifts with outriggers) I have used, the leveling process is as follows:
1. Lower all outriggers until they hit the ground (JLG and other tow behind lifts with "flip down" outriggers that I have used have a slot at the top of the cylinder mount and a switch so when the outrigger hits the ground the cylinder slides and hits the switch), others use a pressure switch on each cylinder to tell when it hits a certain level of resistance.
2. Extend each outrigger (or pair of outriggers in the case of the scissor lift) for X seconds (to get the wheels off of the ground)
3. Extend the outriggers individually as needed to level the lift
4. Wait X seconds to make sure it stays level
5. Allow the lift to raise in the air

Aaron Z
Yeah this one has the switch on each foot

Is there w way to use the level sensor in a mechanical system or do I Just use a bubble level bolted to the frame and use that to level it manually ?

Yeah this one has the switch on each foot

Is there w way to use the level sensor in a mechanical system or do I Just use a bubble level bolted to the frame and use that to level it manually ?
I would talk to your friend with the PLC programming experience about what they will need to rebuild it and start getting parts for them to build.
Mouser sells tilt switches, 4 of them would let a PLC sense tilt in each direction: https://www.mouser.com/c/electromechanical/switches/tilt-switches/

Aaron Z

I would talk to your friend with the PLC programming experience about what they will need to rebuild it and start getting parts for them to build.
Mouser sells tilt switches, 4 of them would let a PLC sense tilt in each direction: https://www.mouser.com/c/electromechanical/switches/tilt-switches/

Aaron Z
The last time it worked , I had to level it manually , the auto level part wouldn’t work , but I did watch the LED lights that show when it’s level .

The last time it worked , I had to level it manually , the auto level part wouldn’t work , but I did watch the LED lights that show when it’s level .
Dig through the schematics, the level switches may be independent of the controls that have gone bad and could be reused.

Aaron Z

Just trying to figure out how many relays I need to manually control the lift

And how to control the pump speed or output .

Just trying to figure out how many relays I need to manually control the lift

And how to control the pump speed or output .
From manual, page 4-27 it sounds like the level should be located near the batteries and it has a 0-5 volt output in each direction (2.5V is level, 0-2.4V is out of level in one direction, 2.6-5V is likely out of level in the other) so you would need 2 0-5 volt inputs to tie it into a PLC: https://manuals.genielift.com/parts and service manuals/data/Service/Towed Aerial Lifts/IO/52075.pdf (if that's the right manual for your serial number).
If you wanted to do manual controls using the OEM level sensor, something like this display could probably work: Amazon.com
If you get the relay output version, you should be able to set it so it displays -5 to 0 for 0-2.5V from the sensor and 0 to 5 for 2.5-5V from the sensor.
Set the alarm (trip the relay) when it is not displaying 0 on the screen and turn on the alarm.

Aaron Z

Or throw all that in the trash and use this.
1000001840.jpg

Or throw all that in the trash and use this.
1000001840.jpg
What's that called? I could use a couple on some man lifts.... though 2* tilt? Need one that does at least 10* or something.

My Hitachi excavator has 2 bubble levels by the arm rest.

What's that called? I could use a couple on some man lifts.... though 2* tilt? Need one that does at least 10* or something.

We had one in the refrigerator in our old motorhome when I was a kid

It had the propane fridge that has to be level to work

My dad installed some little adjustable legs on the fridge
So we didn’t have to spend a lot of time getting the whole motorhome level .
He’d just level the fridge .

He also had a couple on the dash so he could see when he was parking how level he could get the rig

I just searched crane level. They have all sorts of graduations.

My biggest block so far is how to control the pump motor speed

The non functioning computer apparently used to rapidly pulse the ground wire of the pump to control the speed

Would a large resistor work for this ?

Something adjustable from a DC welder maybe ?

The non functioning computer apparently used to rapidly pulse the ground wire of the pump to control the speed

Any idea how many watts the motor draws?

Big rc speed control or one from an electric scooter.

Using rc stuff would be nice to have wireless control of it.

Any idea how many watts the motor draws?

Big rc speed control or one from an electric scooter.

Using rc stuff would be nice to have wireless control of it.
I’m not sure what it draws
Lemme see if I can find the specs

I’m afraid to jump it streight to the batteries

But I may have to do that to see what it actually draws under load .

Get your PLC buddy to start looking at it and give them the PDFs of the manuals.
Schematics and troubleshooting directions say it uses 0-5V to tell the pump how fast to run (terminal 3 on the U6 motor controller):
1000087308.png

Aaron Z

My controller

IMG_2732.jpeg

So i need something like this to control the speed ?

IMG_2733.png
IMG_2734.jpeg
Nope, that Curtis controller will put out up to 276A based on 0-5V input, not 30A.

That controller you have will work with another system, no need to replace it as long as it's working.

See the white wires going into the spade connectors?
The one with 2 wires going into the plug is the "enable" wire (#1 on the diagram), it needs 24v to "wake it up"
The other one gets 0-5v (a source like this could work IF you didn't turn it up past 50%: Amazon.com to tell it how fast to spin the motor for testing)

Remind me again, what are the symptoms?

Have you followed the troubleshooting steps in the service manual for those symptoms?

Is the serial number higher or lower than T3400-265 or T3402-115?

If it's just the Curtis controller, a 276A 36v controller that accepts 0-5V input is easy to find.

All the connections from the switches go to a ribbon cable and connector per the schematic so it should be straightforward to put them as inputs to a PLC.

1000087310.png

1000087312.png

Aaron Z

my controller works

The computer board is toast

I’m looking to remove the computer and manually control the motor speed and hydraulic solenoids with switches
IMG_1361.png
This is my machine

My computer control board is evidently stopped working

It worked fine then it would only work the first time you turned it on , once you turned the key switch on , if you ever turned the key switch off , the machine was dead for a couple of days .

I have voltage going into the board but nothing on the board at all

Mine has the origional green boards

So I think I just need some way to signal the existing Controller , from 0 to 5 volts ?
IMG_2355.jpeg

Last edited:
my controller works

The computer board is toast

I’m looking to remove the computer and manually control the motor speed and hydraulic solenoids with switches
IMG_1361.png
This is my machine

My computer control board is evidently stopped working

It worked fine then it would only work the first time you turned it on , once you turned the key switch on , if you ever turned the key switch off , the machine was dead for a couple of days .

I have voltage going into the board but nothing on the board at all

Mine has the origional green boards
So it will run all day until you turn it off (no codes or issues), then once turned off, it will not turn on?
I know that the green boards have a bad rap, but that sounds almost more like a bad switch/wire (estop, up/down, etc) than a bad board.
You went through the "all functions inoperative" section of the troubleshooting chart?
1000087315.png

1000087317.png

So I think I just need some way to signal the existing Controller , from 0 to 5 volts ?
Yes, 0-5V on terminal 3 in the schematic will tell it to run as long as there is 24v to terminal 1.

Aaron Z

So it will run all day until you turn it off (no codes or issues), then once turned off, it will not turn on?
I know that the green boards have a bad rap, but that sounds almost more like a bad switch/wire (estop, up/down, etc) than a bad board.
You went through the "all functions inoperative" section of the troubleshooting chart?
1000087315.png

1000087317.png

Yes, 0-5V on terminal 3 in the schematic will tell it to run as long as there is 24v to terminal 1.

Aaron Z
Alright

Hopefully this might be my last stupid question.

Before the machine completely stopped working I was able to use a multimeter and get the voltages for the various speeds up and down . And have voltage reducers adjusted to the proper voltage for each function speed .

And I installed small LED indicator lights at each solenoid so I could see when it was activated

The only thing I wasn’t able to get was for the outrigger solenoids

I think The double one is the reversible flow controller but the manual shows the single one as the “regeneration “ circuit

I’m unclear as to when this solenoid gets activated .

IMG_2982.jpeg
IMG_2984.jpeg
IMG_2983.jpeg
IMG_2985.jpeg
IMG_2986.jpeg

Last edited:
Alright

Hopefully this might be my last stupid question.

Before the machine completely stopped working I was able to use a multimeter and get the voltages for the various speeds up and down . And have voltage reducers adjusted to the proper voltage for each function speed .

And I installed small LED indicator lights at each solenoid so I could see when it was activated

The only thing I wasn’t able to get was for the outrigger solenoids
Let's start with a full stop.
Disconnect and throw out any voltage regulators that you're putting in line before the solenids.
If you go through the troubleshooting section of the manual EVERY SINGLE SECTION for troubleshooting says that the coils should be getting 24 volts.
EVERY SINGLE ONE
If you were not getting that when you were testing previously, stop go back to step one in the troubleshooting section and make sure that you have 24 volts at the inlet the control board at all times.
Here is the link again: https://manuals.genielift.com/parts and service manuals/data/Service/Towed Aerial Lifts/IO/52075.pdf

Note that every single step in the troubleshooting chapter that references testing voltage to a solenoid coil has 24 volts as the "passing" voltage.
If you don't have 24 volts at the inlet to the control board and at the outlet to each solenoid, the solenoids flat out will not work (at least not at the 9-12 volts that you have drawn in your pictures, 18v, possibly, but not 9-12v.
The ONLY things that should be something other than 24 volts are:
1. Tow lighting (turn/brake signals, marker lights, etc) when connected to a tow vehicle (which should be 12v)
2. Speed control from the board to the motor controller (which should be 0-5v or 0-10v)
3. F/R and L/R Level sensors (which are 0-10v or 0-5v, IIRC midpoint is level, 0v is the limit in one direction and 5v or 10v is the limit in the other direction).
EVERYTHING ELSE should have 24v to the coils.
If you want to do testing without buying new batteries, find a 24v power supply and disconnect the leads going to the motor so all your powering is the board and the solenoids.
I think The double one is the reversible flow controller but the manual shows the single one as the “regeneration “ circuit

I’m unclear as to when this solenoid gets activated .

IMG_2982.jpeg
IMG_2984.jpeg
IMG_2983.jpeg
IMG_2985.jpeg
Regeneration with generally connect both the extend and retract lines on the cylinder together and apply pressure to both, that allows you to extend the cylinder much faster with reduced pressure.
I would bet that both Y48 AND Y41 are activated in step 1 from my earlier post (because that way instead of needing to flow enough fluid to fill the entire volume of the base end of all 4 cylinders, it only needs to flow enough fluid to fill the volume occupied by the rods of the cylinders) and then ONLY Y48 is activated in steps 2 and 3:
If it's like the other lifts (tow behind lifts and a couple of drive around scissor lifts with outriggers) I have used, the leveling process is as follows:
1. Lower all outriggers until they hit the ground (JLG and other tow behind lifts with "flip down" outriggers that I have used have a slot at the top of the cylinder mount and a switch so when the outrigger hits the ground the cylinder slides and hits the switch), others use a pressure switch on each cylinder to tell when it hits a certain level of resistance.
2. Extend each outrigger (or pair of outriggers in the case of the scissor lift) for X seconds (to get the wheels off of the ground)
3. Extend the outriggers individually as needed to level the lift
4. Wait X seconds to make sure it stays level
5. Allow the lift to raise in the air
The electrical schematic:
1000092944.png

1000087312-png.794941

The hydraulic schematic:
1000092953.png

Step 1: Y48, Y41,Y33, Y34, Y35 and Y36 should all be powered until all 4 outriggers are on the ground and have activated their switches (LS12, LS13, LS14 and LS15).

Step 2: Y48 should be powered and then Y33, Y34, Y35 and Y36 should all be powered in turn for X seconds.

Step 3: Y48 should be powered and then Y33, Y34, Y35 and Y36 should all be powered in turn as needed to level the lift

Aaron Z

Last edited:
Thanks

Sorry for the confusion

Yeah, the solenoids will all be getting 24v

The reduced voltage is just from the controls to the pump motor controller and the gravity lowering valve .

The outrigger auto level didn’t work right even when the unit worked .
I’d have to do it manually

So I’m planning on setting it up to be done manually,

Last edited:
Let's start with a full stop.
Disconnect and throw out any voltage regulators that you're putting in line before the solenids.
If you go through the troubleshooting section of the manual EVERY SINGLE SECTION for troubleshooting says that the coils should be getting 24 volts.
EVERY SINGLE ONE
If you were not getting that when you were testing previously, stop go back to step one in the troubleshooting section and make sure that you have 24 volts at the inlet the control board at all times.
Here is the link again: https://manuals.genielift.com/parts and service manuals/data/Service/Towed Aerial Lifts/IO/52075.pdf

Note that every single step in the troubleshooting chapter that references testing voltage to a solenoid coil has 24 volts as the "passing" voltage.
If you don't have 24 volts at the inlet to the control board and at the outlet to each solenoid, the solenoids flat out will not work (at least not at the 9-12 volts that you have drawn in your pictures, 18v, possibly, but not 9-12v.
The ONLY things that should be something other than 24 volts are:
1. Tow lighting (turn/brake signals, marker lights, etc) when connected to a tow vehicle (which should be 12v)
2. Speed control from the board to the motor controller (which should be 0-5v or 0-10v)
3. F/R and L/R Level sensors (which are 0-10v or 0-5v, IIRC midpoint is level, 0v is the limit in one direction and 5v or 10v is the limit in the other direction).
EVERYTHING ELSE should have 24v to the coils.
If you want to do testing without buying new batteries, find a 24v power supply and disconnect the leads going to the motor so all your powering is the board and the solenoids.

Regeneration with generally connect both the extend and retract lines on the cylinder together and apply pressure to both, that allows you to extend the cylinder much faster with reduced pressure.
I would bet that both Y48 AND Y41 are activated in step 1 from my earlier post (because that way instead of needing to flow enough fluid to fill the entire volume of the base end of all 4 cylinders, it only needs to flow enough fluid to fill the volume occupied by the rods of the cylinders) and then ONLY Y48 is activated in steps 2 and 3:

The electrical schematic:
1000092944.png

1000087312-png.794941

The hydraulic schematic:
1000092953.png

Step 1: Y48, Y41,Y33, Y34, Y35 and Y36 should all be powered until all 4 outriggers are on the ground and have activated their switches (LS12, LS13, LS14 and LS15).

Step 2: Y48 should be powered and then Y33, Y34, Y35 and Y36 should all be powered in turn for X seconds.

Step 3: Y48 should be powered and then Y33, Y34, Y35 and Y36 should all be powered in turn as needed to level the lift

Aaron Z
Wanted to give you a public thank you !

I got my lift working manually without the computer

And your info was very helpful in getting that done .

3 voltage regulators , 8 relays and 22 switches .

I used these 2 different adjustable regulators

The one with the knob and display were the easiest to use but the hardest to find .

Probabaly going to add a couple more of those so I can adjust the pump speed from the control panels , I think I figured out a way to do that .

right now it’s just set at one speed for the pump and one speed for the lowering valve .

I have a third one forThe pump speed of the turntable , since it needs to be much slower than the lift pump speed .

The outriggers are manual , with a large round level on the frame that I can see from the control panel.

IMG_3120.jpeg
IMG_3121.jpeg
IMG_3122.jpeg

Top Back Refresh