What's new

Anvils

Got this anvil at an auction a couple years back, it went for around $200 I think. Appeared to be about the twin to a 175# Peter Wright I already had for my wannabe blacksmith anvil, but this one was rougher. It had some rebar welded to the sides, not sure what someone had on it.

20200627_161052x.jpg

Anyways, cut off the shit and it cleaned up fairly decent. Tried to sell it for about a year, couldn't get 400 out of it, the only people that constantly tried to buy it were anvil flippers offering a couple hundred bucks... Touche. :laughing:

Said the heck with it, it ain't for sale no more, it's getting put to use as the beater anvil for shop use. Been there for a while and has certainly come in handy.

DSC06711x.jpg

DSC06717x.jpg

20210908_180934x.jpg

I think I have 5 or 6 anvils sitting around now. My dad had a buddy in Louisiana that had a scrap yard near the MS river, and he used to get stuff in from the big plants down there all the time. he would give my dad all kinds of stuff. The small anvil we've had since I can remember.

Attachments

• largeanvil.jpg
    largeanvil.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 11
  • biganvil.jpg
    biganvil.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 10
  • small anvil.jpg
    small anvil.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
PWs go for $6-10/lb around here. Hell of a score.
LOL. Paid $50 for my 109 or 119lb one 5yrs ago. It's been a yard ornament and was for sale at a garage salew I rarely visit(they specialize in selling seedlings.
Peter Wrights are good anvils. Mine will outlast me.

It says 207 on the side. Is that not the weight?

Mines weight is listed in Stones. But if that was the case with yours it would be over 2000lbs. :laughing:
As I mentioned in another thead, and was told nothing is irreplacable, my ~110lb anvil and 90lb post vise(dates 1896) could net over $1k, but I'll never sell them.
Grab that post vice if you can as well. They go hand in hand with the anvil for for forge work.
Post vises are much harder to coma across, as they're more useful even to non-blacksmiths. Took 5yrs after I got my anvil to get a post vise. Luckily, the one I found was a 90lb, 5.5" jaw monster for the price of a normal sized one($125). Good eye! That is a beefy one. I use mine all the time. It is mounted... right next to the anvil
The first number is stones, second is quarter stones, third is pounds.

The guy wouldn’t give up the vice apparently.
Can't say I blame him..... Another thread here recently told me I should sell everything I have to solve a dilema. I mentioned my post vise and anvil as irreplacable items I'll never part with and was told nothings irreplaceable.
I've got this broken one as an art piece in my shop next to the couch, under a drill press end table. I had someone more into this stuff tell me it was very early 1800s and made in England. I can't remember many other details.

The front foot is broken off and missing and the horn forge weld is also cracked. Came out of a barn in Eastern NC.

The chain is just something I found metal detecting on my property last year.

20230115_174057.jpg

20230115_174108.jpg
That's not unusable. An anvil is a tool, so I'd have no problem with someone veeing out the crack and with substantial preheat, welding it up. The missing feet baffle me, but some welding would create some sort of mount to replace the front foot. Top looks well used but servicable.

171751CD-E627-4B6E-B677-884F04B570EA.JPG

This poor thing has been on my family's property for years. Pretty well used up
Time to break out a welder and weld up flat surface on top, then use hard facing rod on top for a harder face. Welding on a servicable anvil to make a "perfect" looking anvil is frowned upon, but one so beaten as to be useless(such as this one), can be repaired by whatever means availiable. An Anvil is a tool, and function superceds anything else.
that'd be a cool project for a youtuber machinist guy to turn it into a smaller, use-able anvil from the shot chunk of steel it is now
Why make smaller anvils? Build up the surface with welds, and cap with hardfacing rod.
are they? they're hardened somehow and not a uniform casting/forging/however the hell they made these things 150 years ago?

still would get clicks.. and look good on a window sill like the other above
The entire anvil, from many manufacturers, are made of up forged sections of wrought iron or soft steel, forge welded together. with a hardened steel face forge welded on top.
The parts that get hammered on get work hardened. If the whole thing was hard, cracking would be way more of an issue.
For most OLD anvils, the body is made up of forge welded together sections, capped with a forge welded on harder steel face. A few makers cast the entire anvil out of steel.

It seems silly but in the 2 months I've had an anvil I've used it every opportunity I can and it's nice to have.

This is how I have it set-up in my garage:

IMG_3034.jpg

IMG_3033.jpg

I've used it to hammer a piece of exhaust tubing to make a turn down for the Bronco, was able to make it nice and around on the horn again because the elbow I used was a piece of scrap.

My Weber smoker's water pan rusted through, cut it out, made a patch and hammered a semi-dished shape into it on the horn as well before welding the patch in.

Generally anything I have to pound with a hammer is an excuse to use the anvil instead of my metal work bench which rattles and disperses all of the energy every where but into the piece I'm bashing.

It also makes a nice garage stool when I'm just hanging out.

This winter I'll be getting a propane forge. Saved the old leaf packs from the Bronco and will see if I can learn a thing or two.

What are good anvils going for now days? There is a decent old one coming up in an auction.

Almost the cost of a new one at 4.40. Nice looking anvil though

I was in a teams meeting at work today reading this thread. I found one made of 4140 forget the name. Let me be clear yours is the first anvil I seen worth anything. Around here they want 5 dollars a pound for a broken and worn out one.

Almost the cost of a new one at 4.40. Nice looking anvil though

Where are you getting new anvils that are decent?

No idea on quality, but probably something like this one: Graham Anvil - 142 lbs 4140 Steel

The knife making people do seem to be bringing anvils back. Unfortunately, that's why the prices are going up too.

When I was seeing them at $1.00 a pound I was thinking a nice big anvil would be something cool to have in the shop, but I really had no use for it. Now that I have a use they're 5x the price...

Not much of a horn on those fuckers is there?:laughing:

A nice anvil sittin on a block of wood in the shop. Is one of those things you use all the time once you have one. very handy

Thanks for the pricing update! I figure this one will go for $5 to $10 per pound. There is no relevant scale in the picture of the one I'm looking at. Wild guess, 200lbs.

Top Back Refresh