What's new

Anvils

Member Number
Loc
OC, CA
My gf’s dad was able to snatch this thing up and bring it home for me. I have to go visit, build a pallet/box and ship it back to myself. I’ve always wanted an anvil. It’s 231 lbs.

18EB1273-85BD-41B6-8B55-6F6727DB68E1.jpeg

7EE4C1BF-CDFB-4DCC-9559-23CB90F72D03.jpeg

PWs go for $6-10/lb around here. Hell of a score.

Very nice! That one looks like it has a pretty good face and edges on it too. Most of the ones I see in Kansas are completely worn out and also top dollar. I like the old ones but ended up buying a new Ridgid anvil and it has been perfect for the shop.

Peter Wrights are good anvils. Mine will outlast me.

It says 207 on the side. Is that not the weight?

Mines weight is listed in Stones. But if that was the case with yours it would be over 2000lbs. :laughing:

The first number is stones, second is quarter stones, third is pounds.

The guy wouldn’t give up the vice apparently.

Slight tangent here... I recently started working on a base for my 200lb anvil. I glued up forty blocks about 5"x5"x10" and it weighs about 180lbs. I was going to lag bolt the anvil to it, but noticed, like the one pictured, that is doesn't have any holes in it. I was thinking of seeing if my local machine shop could put some 3/8" holes in it, but wasn't sure if there would be hardness issues. Do the straps you made keep it firmly planted on the base?
Decided to respond to this in a different thread.

The straps work great so far. I've used it this way since 2017. The stand was the best I could assemble at the time living in a neighborhood and working out of a little 1.5 car detached garage. The straps do a good job as they are in pretty good tension all the time. The anvil is like 196 lbs so it doesn't want to move much anyways and sounds similar in size to yours.

There are other options such as the chain method. People say that a few wraps of chain takes some of the noise out of the anvil when striking it too.

1110171201.jpg

1110171353.jpg

1112171305.jpg

Nice strapping on that!

Mine is on a stump of honey locust that was luckily cut the just the right height. Round is nice because you can get closer to the anvil to work.

I drove nails in at the corners of each foot and bent them over to capture the feet. Every once in a while the anvil travels to an event so the nails get spun sideways to release the feet.

I've got this broken one as an art piece in my shop next to the couch, under a drill press end table. I had someone more into this stuff tell me it was very early 1800s and made in England. I can't remember many other details.

The front foot is broken off and missing and the horn forge weld is also cracked. Came out of a barn in Eastern NC.

The chain is just something I found metal detecting on my property last year.

20230115_174057.jpg

20230115_174108.jpg

that'd be a cool project for a youtuber machinist guy to turn it into a smaller, use-able anvil from the shot chunk of steel it is now
On a CNC 4-axis it'd be no different than machining any other raw forging.

Probably soft on the inside.
are they? they're hardened somehow and not a uniform casting/forging/however the hell they made these things 150 years ago?

still would get clicks.. and look good on a window sill like the other above

are they? they're hardened somehow and not a uniform casting/forging/however the hell they made these things 150 years ago?

Often they are clad with a high carbon plate on top of a soft iron body. Saves the hard stuff where it is needed. On my P.Wright you can see the line between the two.

The front shelf of next to the nose is usually soft and a traditional place to use a chisel off the hard face.

Twankies anvil is tough to look at. That could be salvaged into a specialty anvil like object. I'd turn it into a saddle stake for anticlastic curves. But it would take a LOT of grinding!

Decided to respond to this in a different thread.

The straps work great so far. I've used it this way since 2017. The stand was the best I could assemble at the time living in a neighborhood and working out of a little 1.5 car detached garage. The straps do a good job as they are in pretty good tension all the time. The anvil is like 196 lbs so it doesn't want to move much anyways and sounds similar in size to yours.

There are other options such as the chain method. People say that a few wraps of chain takes some of the noise out of the anvil when striking it too.

1112171305.jpg
The new iStump, from Ikea! :flipoff2: Nice work.

Dog =

Nd9GcRw-A7KaY0OQlpqDM6sfyppt5_KUtYxRcSMKQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

I went to Virginia last week and shipped it to myself last Thursday, arrived today.

This anvil has definitely done some work. It's going to sit on a HF dolly until later in the year when I buy one of those propane forges. Going to give this a try:

Attachments

• IMG_3024.jpg
    IMG_3024.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3030.jpg
    IMG_3030.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3031.jpg
    IMG_3031.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3034.jpg
    IMG_3034.jpg
    577.8 KB · Views: 11

The parts that get hammered on get work hardened. If the whole thing was hard, cracking would be way more of an issue.

Saw these at a local community college, pity they will be on govdeals or something like that someday.
Nice anvils

Attachments

• IMG_20230416_154244374_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230416_154244374_HDR.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 55
We do a anvil relay to move them north

Top Back Refresh