What's new

Another Ranger build

Snowracer

Member Number
Well im back in the Ford section :homer:

so like an idiot with a problem i was scrolling FB market place and seen a first gen ranger for cheap and bought it sight unseen. was a buddy that had listed it and he picked up in hopes to make a short course truck and never got around to it. the person before him had rebuilt the motor and gutted the thing getting ready to make it a mini stock truck so its a rolling chassis with a near new 2.3 in it.

when i bought it i had zero need or want for a ranger or another project but the body looked solid and it was cheap. sent a picture of it to the GF in hopes she would tell me im an idiot and not to buy it. instead she thought it was awesome and we could turn it into a wheeling rig for her. so now we are building this thing to be here first real wheeling rig and a good all around trail rig while i finish my buggy.

is a 86? ranger reg cab 2wd with the 2.3 and stick.

fa4vKhAVqdaUD8EtpAWRRjnSjD-OJ6pWWAiVSCstBMGA=w2400.jpg

T8rs_cnkiV6C-0ji0WLnN27VAeVlrUogHxvt8JF4tD5w=w2400.jpg

Last edited:
so plan for this rig is budget build that will be a good all around trail rig we can use all year. so will have full glass and a heater (unlike my last few builds and current buggy build).

was first trying to find a 4x4 trans or divorced tcase so could keep the rebuilt 2.3 and maybe do some half tons and 35s. after no luck finding that stuff i said F it and we are doing tons and a 302. picked up a 1990 efi 302 for cheap and a 10.25 with 4.10s. also grabbed some obs F150 leafs while i was at it.

UrpLAMYv2KwZmxp44mqm0azRmbONrz0vGSgQGwM1dauw=w2400.jpg

buddy gave me a 08 Superduty 60 for the project as well.

bmzUygJ5PXUzESYq8gzn6cjzyAs8WkFnLZsS0xtLDxnA=w2400.jpg

after looking at the 08 diff and doing a build list of what it needed (did not have 4.10 gears and missing all brake parts ect) and what it would cost to do a nice radius arm or 3 link and some air shocks or coil spring set up i started to second guess it was the diff for this build.

i pulled the trigger on buying a KP 60 as have lots of left over parts from other builds and its just cheaper to build up for now. i know its not as beefy as the SD axle but this is a mild ish trail build and just made more sense to do a KP diff. with going to a KP diff i also talked the GF out of doing a linked set up and running poor people suspension and got another pair of rear OBS ford leafs to run up front.

jTHZVqC8Sf5FydAS1obfhFt4h6pggVyVBm_uj3QLOvsQ=w2400.jpg

also grabbed a bronco short tail shaft 1356 while i was getting the D60. going to use my sbf C6 that i have left over from the last rig as well

psOF5rBi6XvNAO4p1GNrC_2Ea1R0D7vXVyAabTcR7khw=w2400.jpg

Last edited:
so with having sort of an idea of what we where doing and having a good pile of parts it was time to start getting those parts ready for the ranger

with this being the GFs rig she is doing most of the work and im just the parts guy and helping out ect. she cleaned up the rear diff and we welded it up so no more 1 tire fire

qWarOwvk1yqzVRwWf_jVQSfQitBNqvIm3Gpf3t3JuYxA=w2400.jpg

tGiLm9-vGNDFm1XtcAoAkIc70Kgmh-0UN5phA9_SgtqA=w2400.jpg

with the new to us KP60 i went shopping in the shed for parts and we got started on it. 4340 35 spline outers, NWF springless cap and steer arm, diff cover and new brakes. this diff is 4.10 and welded it up as well cause F steering :flipoff2:

EEBoP5Re3qQvPtpHxDpinfzsHGi84Ea7_QUiI4k7mjKg=w2400.jpg

87dpT8o1ikgmvdDVZ7E2bvGJNupWOYKimRmYRzXcKMCA=w2400.jpg

-wGPZ6MWR3XCG8LnI13n65pH3jgO3ZCY6VOjIxd1cjaA=w2400.jpg

blotQJc4z_iHqJRBFrwwAeh7Uamh1cJLvx6B69uL9XbA=w2400.jpg

as of right now we are waiting on last few parts for the 60 to show up then can start stripping the Ranger and getting it ready to swap everything in.

plan for the motor was to do a carb intake and run it on propane as have everything to do it other then a tank. been leaning towards upping the budget and getting another fitech efi set up and using my old fuel cell and pump. the C6 i have already has a full manual valve body and worked well when i took it out of the last truck. the 1356 needs a full rebuild but its the short tail shaft so hope it fits in the frame rails, if not i have a 205 but rather not use it due to the shitty gearing. as far as tires im going to build it to clear my 44s but also have brand new set of 40 stickies and aluminum beadlocks that i bought for my buggy. want to be able to swap tires between the two rigs

Last edited:
and just incase here was my last rig and half ass build on this site. GFs first time wheeling was the last trip in this truck before getting parted out for the buggy

4gf32xiHAB0idTKxDbHWmYYynrf1vhe72CSSJ-N0f7Kw=w2400.jpg

build

buggy build

and i picked this death wagon sidekick last year and let the GF race it and got her hooked to wheeling and now the reason she wants the ranger

Sounds like a cool build and very similar to my old Bronco II crawler I had briefly before I parted it out (1994 truck 5.0L, NP435, BW1356, HP 8 lug D44 & FF D61 both welded w/4.10s, 38" XMLs, and leaf springs all around) :smokin:

I understand you are trying to keep this thing budget, but a truck 302 with 4.10s and 40-44" tires is going to be a dog. I would start in granny gear a lot of times with my Bronco II just driving on the street. It was definitely faster than my other Bronco II with a stock, rebuilt 2.8L and 37s with 5.13s in the axles, but definitely not what you would call "peppy." It did alright in the rocks (73:1 crawl due to the granny gear), but it was not what I think you would want for your terrain with all the mud and snow. If I had not parted it out, I would have definitely gone 5.38s. Also the welded front sucked ass, but I didn't have a steering ram :homer:

Also, you are going to have to do some frame hackery to make the BW1356 fit, but it shouldn't be a big deal with your skills. I definitely wouldn't want to run a stock ratio NP205 in addition to the 4.10s :laughing:

Sounds like a cool build and very similar to my old Bronco II crawler I had briefly before I parted it out (1994 truck 5.0L, NP435, BW1356, HP 8 lug D44 & FF D61 both welded w/4.10s, 38" XMLs, and leaf springs all around) :smokin:

I understand you are trying to keep this thing budget, but a truck 302 with 4.10s and 40-44" tires is going to be a dog. I would start in granny gear a lot of times with my Bronco II just driving on the street. It was definitely faster than my other Bronco II with a stock, rebuilt 2.8L and 37s with 5.13s in the axles, but definitely not what you would call "peppy." It did alright in the rocks (73:1 crawl due to the granny gear), but it was not what I think you would want for your terrain with all the mud and snow. If I had not parted it out, I would have definitely gone 5.38s. Also the welded front sucked ass, but I didn't have a steering ram :homer:

Also, you are going to have to do some frame hackery to make the BW1356 fit, but it shouldn't be a big deal with your skills. I definitely wouldn't want to run a stock ratio NP205 in addition to the 4.10s :laughing:

ya the 302 and 4.10 are going to bring the suck for sure. my last truck started out as a 351 4.10 truck on the 44s and it was meh but worked for a trail truck as just lived in 4lo. thats the whole reason i want to make the 1356 work as that little extra gearing is going to be needed.

i really wanted to stick a zf behind the 302 and would make a wicked snow wheeler with the stick and better gearing. but with being the first real wheeling rig for the gf and already having the c6 we will be running that. will save up and do gears but for this summer/winter will rock the 4.10s and work the bugs out

will also have hydro assist as have a ram left over from about 3 project trucks ago. this rig will be made up of left over parts for the most part :laughing:

Last edited:
Fuckin cool man!
But yeah, this is bumming me out since you've now, rebuilt, wheeled, parted out, started a new buggy, and now going to finish both this and the buggy before i even get my junk on its own weight:laughing:
Good luck!

Looking good. Can't wait to see it all done and finished. I need to strip my parts truck and swap trans and throw my lockers in my truck so maybe I can actually come out wheeling at some point again in my lifetime :shaking:

the 302 was pretty nasty so tossing some new gaskets at it and new timing chain and water pump while its on the engine stand

UXR1xetusn1oRy8whfvlLW77rQ76nl5t8avh0NxEOb0g=w2400.jpg

vu98LzjxVEoVEdRQ4FOlEkYtpYyRc6hn8TZrHNZu1xMg=w2400.jpg

about as clean as its going to get, took some parts to work to run through the cleaner

c54_l4qNfjDsOTDMonkPicqCe66wTwAPvT-ASdBYITiQ=w2400.jpg

motor is back together and ready for the ranger, still missing a few small things but can deal with that once its in the truck

O2XeMzdgyjCMvLQr-Fjlg0m5uE988BGW_K_nKDWGUEWA=w2400.jpg

3GEgmGohegDKvTR2c1BHNQCMIgxkJCDocWHhn6LnD-XA=w2400.jpg

plan on putting the rad in the box so put a bleeder in the tstat housing to help get air out

RkjwD0sk3ShI5iuQbflJiWUlop-CeKZwD23Mwwi1g96A=w2400.jpg

had to double check the valve body in the c6 to make sure it was the full manual one

8NXSNLR7FeHX4JnW4kFGKqudSMB3lNhHEqbuDfX2bH3Q=w2400.jpg

took a look at the tcase i got and it has been sitting with water in it so planetary is pretty rusted up. have picked up another tcase to swap parts from to hopefully make 1 good case

f9Xzv8HcLfLVDEc4Wy1aO5v5kZyfcsdbXRbDPeqrKDRw=w2400.jpg

EGP1ikec8u0w9cvHyH2yskl46H1nQN9lJhkv01d4_4xg=w2400.jpg

That 1345, or whatever it was that preceded the 1356 is a good case. Basically all same size parts but with a properly designed pump that doesn't fuck up and spin around 300k.

so because i have truck adhd i went and sold the ranger, keeping all the other parts and still doing a build for the gf just something little cooler. will start the new build in a few day s

Ri1LgxrZ228xevDZWH1aQY3uxtz2oOjQGkTBcsWh3UyA=w2400.jpg

so because i have truck adhd i went and sold the ranger, keeping all the other parts and still doing a build for the gf just something little cooler. will start the new build in a few day s

Ri1LgxrZ228xevDZWH1aQY3uxtz2oOjQGkTBcsWh3UyA=w2400.jpg
so next rig top secret? or TBD?? hope its a ford still :grinpimp::beer:

Top Back Refresh