What's new

Aliens are confirmed?

The 4 dimension block universe theory supported by Einsteins theory of relativity suggests that past, present, and future are all happening at the same time. That would make the passing of time an illusion.
2B54107D-43F8-4F4E-9941-78D6221DC0AA.gif

The 4 dimension block universe theory supported by Einsteins theory of relativity suggests that past, present, and future are all happening at the same time. That would make the passing of time an illusion.

Not sure on that one, but I'll give it a shot next time boss asks why I'm late for work.

Around 150 years ago, the first cars were going 10 mph. What’s a horse go? Maybe 30mph? That means the riches person or country on the planet could make a man go 30 mph. Today a common person can go buy a shitbox that goes over a 100 mph. They say Apollo 10 went 24,000 mph. So in a span of 150 years that’s quite an improvement. How about adding a million years of tech to that. I think humans will explore everywhere.

Unless some other life form a million years ahead of us decides that humans make excellent guacamole. (Notice I didn’t say “prepares”)

Pretty crazy to think it was only 65 years from Wright Brothers first flight to walking on the moon. I'm not sure whats happened in the 60 years since, are them ufo sightings from somewhere else or just our next secret stuff?

Personally I still think we're just at a very elaborate steam punk level of technology in the grand scheme of things. The fastest we have figured out how to get anywhere is by exploding fuel we have dug up from the ground and refined. Currently we just have found more and more elaborate ways to burn leftover energy that was solar energy converted by organisms millions of years ago.

Are gal
Pretty crazy to think it was only 65 years from Wright Brothers first flight to walking on the moon. I'm not sure whats happened in the 60 years since, are them ufo sightings from somewhere else or just our next secret stuff?

Now imagine a civilization that had a million or hundred million year head start on us. Where would they be technology wise?

When they fired up the CERN collider they asked the scientists if the particle collision could cause a black hole to form and suck all of humanity into it, and they replied "That's a risk we're willing to take".

Makes me wonder if civilizations reach a point of technological self-destruct and only the truly enlightened survive.

One thing I've never understood is the singularity and infinite gravity of black holes.
We know that smallish stars turn into red giants without a bang.
We know that stars 7-10 times larger than ours go super nova and leave a neutron star behind.
And then we know that giant stars super nova into black holes.

There should be nothing infinite about the gravity of a black hole. Granted, the gravity compared to earths is going to be a big damn number, bet a number none the less. That number should always correlate to the mass that's inside it.
The point in gravity at which light can't escape also shouldn't be infinite. Photons may not have mass, but they do have energy and speed, which can be converted into mass and gravity can act on that.

Kind of wondering, if humans do develop time travel in the distant future, there's no way they could help themselves from coming back to let us know. Definitively. Or they came back too far, got eaten by the dinosaurs, then the future people said, "well I reckon it doesn't work". :laughing:

Kind of wondering, if humans do develop time travel in the distant future, there's no way they could help themselves from coming back to let us know. Definitively. Or they came back too far, got eaten by the dinosaurs, then the future people said, "well I reckon it doesn't work". :laughing:
On time travel, it is perfectly feasible to look back in time. That is what we are doing when we look at a distant star. Whatever we see happened along time ago. In theory, even looking across a room, the events happened a fraction of a second before you saw them. If you want to see WW2, there is a picture of it continually going out in space. You just need to fly faster than that picture, get past it and look back with a good enough telescope.

If that’s your definition of time travel, great. If your definition is to go back and change something in your Delorean, ain’t never going to happen.

One thing I've never understood is the singularity and infinite gravity of black holes.
Start the whole thing with a false premise, and look what happens... Black holes don't have infinite gravity. If they did, the entire universe would be one big black hole. A black hole has at least enough gravity to form an event horizon at its surface or above. The singularity is just theory. If a black hole's event horizon was an inch above its surface, we'd never be able to tell the difference between that and one with a singularity from the outside.

We know that smallish stars turn into red giants without a bang.
We know that stars 7-10 times larger than ours go super nova and leave a neutron star behind.
And then we know that giant stars super nova into black holes.

There should be nothing infinite about the gravity of a black hole. Granted, the gravity compared to earths is going to be a big damn number, bet a number none the less. That number should always correlate to the mass that's inside it.
The point in gravity at which light can't escape also shouldn't be infinite. Photons may not have mass, but they do have energy and speed, which can be converted into mass and gravity can act on that.

We dont actually know any of that. We think thats what happens but no one has been around long enough to witness it. All we have are pictures through telescopes and wild ass guesses about theories that cant be proved.

We dont actually know any of that. We think thats what happens but no one has been around long enough to witness it. All we have are pictures through telescopes and wild ass guesses about theories that cant be proved.

That pretty much sums up our entire "understanding" of the universe. When you have to start coming up with stuff like "dark matter" and "dark energy" because the universe isn't behaving how it should be based on your current theories, it tells me you might just be wildly wrong with your current theories.

Exactly "We" dont know shit. Everyday there is more information found that throws are understanding of our planet out of whack, yet these people are egotistical enough to think they "know" whats going on with the universe.

Exactly "We" dont know shit. Everyday there is more information found that throws are understanding of our planet out of whack, yet these people are egotistical enough to think they "know" whats going on with the universe.

Saw the same thing with COVID. At the end of the day, they're just people. They might be really smart but they have the same flaws that we all do. The same battle with the ego, the same tendency to fall into group think, the same desire to succeed economically and be recognized by our peers and have those desires impact our work. The irony is that history forgets all of those people. Most of the scientists that history remembers were considered kooks during their time, they just had the balls to speak their truth and not get shouted down by the establishment.

Far short of the intangible (aliens, dark matter, certain deities :laughing:), there's childish controversy about new findings. Look at how hard establishment academia can reject / ignore new archaeological finds that inconveniently predate what "we know" :homer:.

Far short of the intangible (aliens, dark matter, certain deities :laughing:), there's childish controversy about new findings. Look at how hard establishment academia can reject / ignore new archaeological finds that inconveniently predate what "we know" :homer:.

The older I get the more I realize that most people never really grow up. They still basically act like children they just learn to do it in more socially acceptable ways.

I wouldn't go as far as saying we don't actually know anything. We've seen stars blow up in almost real time. Granted that time was million of years ago. But there are super nova happening every day.
Back in 2017 or so we detected the gravitational waves of two neutron stars colliding and turned all our big telescopes to that part over the sky to see the aftermath.

We don't know more than we know that's for sure.

I wouldn't go as far as saying we don't actually know anything. We've seen stars blow up in almost real time. Granted that time was million of years ago. But there are super nova happening every day.
Back in 2017 or so we detected the gravitational waves of two neutron stars colliding and turned all our big telescopes to that part over the sky to see the aftermath.

We don't know more than we know that's for sure.

Yes but it still just educated guess based on observations from an inconcievable distance away. We have no idea what forces may have affected that observation. Also those all those measurements are assumptions based on how we think the results should look. Dont get me wrong we have some good guesses but theyre just guesses.

From the 2017 "killer nova" as they have called it, the two neutron stars colliding, we learned where all the elements heavier than iron are created. Within minutes of the gravitational waves reaching earth, they were recording thousands of hours of information in all wave lengths, including visible light.
Before that event the thought was that all elements had to be created in super nova, but they also knew that once a star began to creat iron, it was like poison. Creating iron produces little energy to counter act the gravity and the star blows up. Every time.

The killer nova showed that it created the heaver than iron elements.
In fact, that one collision produced many dozen times the mass of the earth in just gold.

There had been a theory proposed that the collision of two neutron stars was a good candidate for the creation of the heavier than iron elements and then observations showed it was true.

That's about as good as we can do to figure out how a little part of the universe works.

Top Back Refresh