What's new

AI as a risk

anybody using an AI that seems like anything more than just google with an avatar? For as controversial as it is I’m pretty underwhelmed with it so far. Doesn’t seem like anything but an interactive thesaurus to me. Anybody finding anything outrageous or concerning at all?

But but.......they're using A.I. in Medical/Pharmaceuticals now. What about the "Fuck Cancer" movement? :stirthepot:

anybody using an AI that seems like anything more than just google with an avatar? For as controversial as it is I’m pretty underwhelmed with it so far. Doesn’t seem like anything but an interactive thesaurus to me. Anybody finding anything outrageous or concerning at all?
My buddy is going for his CCW and needed a character reference letter written for him. I didn't have time to bust out a good one, but chatGPT did, and it was really well done.

"Write a character reference letter for **** detailing his trustworthiness and my long standing friendship with him. "

[Your Name] [Your Address] [City, State, ZIP] [Email Address] [Phone Number] [Date]

[Recipient's Name] [Recipient's Address] [City, State, ZIP]

Subject: Character Reference for ******

Dear [Recipient's Name],

I am writing this letter to provide a character reference for my dear friend,*******. I have known ***** for many years, and I can confidently say that he is an individual of impeccable character and unwavering trustworthiness.

Throughout the years, ***** and I have developed a deep bond built on mutual respect, honesty, and integrity. In every interaction, he has exhibited the utmost reliability and steadfastness. Whether it was in personal matters or professional endeavors, ***** has consistently displayed an unwavering commitment to his responsibilities and a strong sense of accountability.

****** has always been a person of his word. His integrity and sincerity shine through in his actions and words. I have witnessed him fulfill promises and commitments with unwavering dedication, no matter how challenging the circumstances. He possesses a remarkable sense of loyalty, and I have no doubt that he would go above and beyond to help someone in need, even at his own expense.

One of ***** most admirable qualities is his ability to maintain confidentiality. Over the years, I have confided in him with personal matters, and he has consistently shown the utmost discretion. He is an excellent listener and has an innate understanding of the importance of trust in any relationship.

In conclusion, I wholeheartedly vouch for ****** trustworthiness and character. His honesty, loyalty, and unwavering commitment to his responsibilities make him an outstanding individual and a true friend. I am confident that he will bring these same qualities to any endeavor he undertakes.

Should you require any further information or clarification, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you for considering my endorsement of ***** , and I hope that you will give his application the attention it deserves.

Yours sincerely,

[Your Name]

I cleaned it up a little and removed one of the paragraphs that made it sound more like a letter of reference for a job interview, and it was ready to go.

It kind of helps cut through all the bullshit. In this case, wouldn't it be nice to be able to just email the Sheriff and tell them- "I have been friends with this guy for a long time, you can trust him with a CCW permit." and be done with it? Now I sort of can, and AI adds all the extra dumb fluff.

My buddy is going for his CCW and needed a character reference letter written for him. I didn't have time to bust out a good one, but chatGPT did, and it was really well done.

"Write a character reference letter for **** detailing his trustworthiness and my long standing friendship with him. "

I cleaned it up a little and removed one of the paragraphs that made it sound more like a letter of reference for a job interview, and it was ready to go.

It kind of helps cut through all the bullshit. In this case, wouldn't it be nice to be able to just email the Sheriff and tell them- "I have been friends with this guy for a long time, you can trust him with a CCW permit." and be done with it? Now I sort of can, and AI adds all the extra dumb fluff.
You’re making my point. That is a whole bunch of words put together in an appealing manner. Nothing more. Like AI is a calculator but for words. It just turned the concept of “I trust my friend” into several paragraphs is all that is. That’s handy and a time saver in that instance, again like a calculator for language.

Can you get AI to do anything controversial? Can you get it to make the case that your friend is a terrorist and should still should be given his CCW?

You’re making my point. That is a whole bunch of words put together in an appealing manner. Nothing more. Like AI is a calculator but for words. It just turned the concept of “I trust my friend” into several paragraphs is all that is. That’s handy and a time saver in that instance, again like a calculator for language.

Can you get AI to do anything controversial? Can you get it to make the case that your friend is a terrorist and should still should be given his CCW?
You have to trick them to violate their safeguards.

My efforts to use AI to modify your sponsorships have failed miserably. I don't think they're giving the public access to the good stuff yet.

1686325804219.png

1686325847602.png

1686325953422.png

1686326558862.png

Yes people can, just not you or me.
I’ve been listening to that douche bag Triston Harris, one of the creators of this shit. He’s advocating for removal of the first amendment and freedom of speech to put guard rails on AI. I can’t get it to do any of the things he says it’s doing.

I’ve been listening to that douche bag Triston Harris, one of the creators of this shit. He’s advocating for removal of the first amendment and freedom of speech to put guard rails on AI. I can’t get it to do any of the things he says it’s doing.
Most companies have safeguards:
1686330032217.png

Public facing tech typically runs 10-15 years behind military r&d. All of our best tech is devoted to killing/controlling other humans.

So thats pretty concerning.

Public facing tech typically runs 10-15 years behind military r&d. All of our best tech is devoted to killing/controlling other humans.

So thats pretty concerning.
Let’s talk about the concern. What are your concerns about it?

My concerns are for my nieces and nephews. If they don’t become early adopters are they getting setup to be left behind in a booming environment. If they do adopt it are they being setup to value an artificial relationship over a real one.

I already don’t think any of them have a chance at having a marriage with no divorce.

Our school started using a program this year that catches homework papers written by AI. They caught 5 or 6 kids. I assume that number will go up every year.

If they do adopt it are they being setup to value an artificial relationship over a real one.

I already don’t think any of them have a chance at having a marriage with no divorce.
That part is on the parents, not how they interact with the rest of the world.

Back to using AI as a tool to be successful in everyday life- it'll be a learned thing just like touch screens and email. People will figure it out.

Our school started using a program this year that catches homework papers written by AI. They caught 5 or 6 kids. I assume that number will go up every year.
I'd love to see what the markers are that they're looking for. There can be some really good AI generated articles these days.

Let’s talk about the concern. What are your concerns about it?

My concerns are for my nieces and nephews. If they don’t become early adopters are they getting setup to be left behind in a booming environment. If they do adopt it are they being setup to value an artificial relationship over a real one.

How is it being used? Is it already being used?

These bot accounts on Twitter and other forms of social media that work really hard to sway societal and cultural sentiments, are those operated by AI? If so, AI based in what country?

How does the intelligence community, that works really really hard to hoover up every little piece of data about you, plan to utilize AI? What are their goals?

What would be the societal impacts of a country that is already fat, lazy, and adverse to suffering, be when they reliquesh decision making to computers?

Who, or what, is Loab?

I'd love to see what the markers are that they're looking for. There can be some really good AI generated articles these days.
This is the program they are using. I didn't even know they were until a parent called to complain about their kid getting busted 3 times and failing a class. They swear their kid didn't use AI, but I would bet $1000 that he did.

Empower Students to Do Their Best, Original Work

You’re making my point. That is a whole bunch of words put together in an appealing manner. Nothing more.
You have just described every piece of literature ever produced, and you don't even acknowledge it.

I am assuming you're a troll, and your troll game could be done better by AI

Much like cursive and calligraphy is no longer taught in school. Is there going to be any reason to require kids to actually write a paper if they can access everything that’s ever been known the second they want to know it?

I’m the calculator kid. Can’t do complex math in my head fast enough but always have several calculators on hand so I never get caught not being able to perform the task. I’ve been WildWell certified and probably wouldn’t pass without a calculator because the tests are timed. But they let you use a calculator so I usually finish near the top both in score and on time. I remember being told you don’t always have a calculator but I’ve not been without one in my life.

You have just described every piece of literature ever produced, and you don't even acknowledge it.

I am assuming you're a troll, and your troll game could be done better by AI
🤣
I’m not trolling, I’m unintelligent and I’m struggling to understand the problem here.

I’m pretty sure you just said what I said in that post quote. AI is just rearranging every piece of literature ever written but faster. It’s something all of us can do, AI just does it faster. Like a calculator doing numbers. Only AI is crunching words.

Much like cursive and calligraphy is no longer taught in school. Is there going to be any reason to require kids to actually write a paper if they can access everything that’s ever been known the second they want to know it?

I’m the calculator kid. Can’t do complex math in my head fast enough but always have several calculators on hand so I never get caught not being able to perform the task. I’ve been WildWell certified and probably wouldn’t pass without a calculator because the tests are timed. But they let you use a calculator so I usually finish near the top both in score and on time. I remember being told you don’t always have a calculator but I’ve not been without one in my life.

Reminds me of the people who can't drive stick because they've never been forced to learn.
What's gonna happen when people don't know how to drive because there is a computer to drive them around in autonomous cars. You ok with that ?

Not being able to do something, regardless if there are tools to help you, is a net loss of knowledge.

What's gonna happen when people don't know how to drive because there is a computer to drive them around in autonomous cars. You ok with that ?

First thought is hell no I’m not ok with that.

Second thought is. That depends. Am I going to be forced to ride in driverless vehicles? Not how I want to live. Are there absolute morons who share the roadway’s with me who I would prefer be chauffeured by robots? Hell yes. Let’s get some of these losers up to speed by letting an autobot get them from point a to point z.

Last edited:
Second thought is. That depends. Am I going to be forced to ride in driverless vehicles? Not how I want to live. Are there absolute morons who share the roadway’s with me who I would prefer be chauffeured by robots? Hell yes. Let’s get some of these losers up to speed by letting an autobot get them from point a to point z.

How about the people who think that you're the moron driving that should be forced to be in a driverless vehicle ?

My point is : you can't decide what is good or bad for society in general. Society will decide. You can't nitpick what you want AI to take over on. And it seems like people like to be lazy asses and let AI take over everything.

🤣
I’m not trolling, I’m unintelligent and I’m struggling to understand the problem here.

I’m pretty sure you just said what I said in that post quote. AI is just rearranging every piece of literature ever written but faster. It’s something all of us can do, AI just does it faster. Like a calculator doing numbers. Only AI is crunching words.
AI that you notice is only crunching words. It's really good at sorting through mountains of data and finding patterns, then predicting what those patterns are going to do and when, and finally acting upon that information if you give it free reign.

But real fast, let's take a step back to just crunching words. Say I want to make money without doing much work. Maybe I buy or build myself an AI that can write news articles for me. Then maybe I setup a news site on the internet, and sell ads to advertisers that will pay me for the clicks. Now maybe I tell my AI to look at what articles it wrote that got the most clicks, and start making the titles and tone of the articles more like that. Maybe I don't care if the AI just makes shit up that looks and sounds like news, but isn't real, as long as I'm getting all those clicks and making that ad money.

Now other people notice what's going on, and they decide to do the same thing. Suddenly hundreds of AI news sites with questionable facts spring up, getting all those clicks.

No harm right? It's just words.

Now say a major political interest or world power, or fanatical religion notices how well this is working for these sites. Maybe instead of clicks, they want to ensure their messages(true or not) get propitiated throughout the internet. So they buy one of those news AIs, and they make some changes. They tell it what messages they want to get all the clicks, and have AIs write their slant and make it appear as factual or true news. Suddenly we've got AI making crap up all over the place, with very convincing and official sounding writing, and very nice looking websites.

And all of these things can just crank out crap content non-stop. Much faster than a farm of spammers, for much less money.

All just words. Let's not even start on the fact that we've got AI generating pictures that aren't real, that it can slap on all of it's not real news stories. If crappy free AI that I spent about 1 second messing with can make me photos of fake tanks in a fake city street:
1686336786096.png

Imagine how easy it would be for an AI to decide lots of clicks happen on war related articles, so let's write one about China invading South Korea.

How about the people who think that you're the moron driving that should be forced to be in a driverless vehicle ?

My point is : you can't decide what is good or bad for society in general.
Society will decide. You can't nitpick what you want AI to take over on. And it seems like people like to be lazy asses and let AI take over everything.
That thought is what brought me here today. Listening to Triston Harris’s last two episodes that dude is trying to decide for us what’s ok, what’s real and what isn’t real. He said out loud to millions of people that we need to give up the first amendment so everyone will get vaccinated next pandemic. He uses the example of extremists using AI to spin facts into a compelling story that induces vaccine hesitancy.

That thought is what brought me here today. Listening to Triston Harris’s last two episodes that dude is trying to decide for us what’s ok, what’s real and what isn’t real. He said out loud to millions of people that we need to give up the first amendment so everyone will get vaccinated next pandemic. He uses the example of extremists using AI to spin facts into a compelling story that induces vaccine hesitancy.
He's pitching his idea to society. If he gets put in a position to make it happen, that means that society agrees with him.

Wether society isn't manipulated by some small elite is another topic, but I think he's just using his first amendment right to express his position.

This video is long but very interesting and good discussion about AI and current issues and possible future issues.

Top Back Refresh