What's new

Advertise available jobs?

And it’s not always money .

I could make more money somewhere else at a different company . But I’d have to work a lot harder too .

I have a flexible schedule and a very hands off supervisor .

But it’s a hassle recruiting for sure

They’ve hired three or four people over the last five years ti be my trainee and learn to do my job and they always hire the wrong person

People will say anything to get the job .
They will be very enthusiastic about learning my position , until after about six months and they see an inter company job posting that is a cushy office job that pays more . Then all of a sudden they don’t wanna get dirty any more .

And it’s not always money .

I could make more money somewhere else at a different company . But I’d have to work a lot harder too .

I have a flexible schedule and a very hands off supervisor .

But it’s a hassle recruiting for sure

They’ve hired three or four people over the last five years ti be my trainee and learn to do my job and they always hire the wrong person

People will say anything to get the job .
They will be very enthusiastic about learning my position , until after about six months and they see an inter company job posting that is a cushy office job that pays more . Then all of a sudden they don’t wanna get dirty any more .
Maybe it's you? And not the getting dirty they're trying to get away from.:flipoff2:

Maybe it's you? And not the getting dirty they're trying to get away from.:flipoff2:
It’s not an Impossibility.

To do my job you gotta be half detective and half mechanic and part Appalachian engineer .

To be able to figure out what something isn’t working and fix it .

And to be able to figure out why the site monitoring well lab results isn’t showing progress on getting the site decontaminated .

Lot of extraction wells to recover groundwater and run it through an oil water separator and air stripper and carbon etc and a sparge system to put air into the ground etc

……

Colorado does require posting the pay, but there are a lot of workarounds there so like a lot of "helping the poor folk" gestures, it's pretty meaningless at the end of the day.
I believe CA does too if you have over a certain number of employees. The shitty part is that one of the jobs I got an offer for had $80k-$105k salary range. What they don’t tell you until you get the non negotiable offer is that the pay is based on years of experience at THAT company. So no matter how well you did on the weld test or how much more experience you have than the other 3 people they are hiring too, you aren’t getting more than $80k. Every job I’ve left, it was for significantly more money. Companies just aren’t willing to pay for the positions they have. If you can check the boxes on the list, then you get whatever the pay is for that position. One job I was making $28/hr. I got an offer for $34/hr at another shop. Gave my notice, my boss tells me he knows the answer but the office told him to ask if I would be willing to stay for $30/hr 🙄

The heavy haul trucking company my son drives for hires people with no experience, and trains them ,
They hire out of the nearby community collage CDL programs ,
Inexperienced new hires spend 6 to 9 months with a trainer at half pay of what the drivers get paid .

If any company isn’t willing to
Hire inexperienced people and train them , they have zero room to
Complain that they can’t find employees

If we don’t train the next generation of employees, who will ?

It’s like the guy that was head of IBM and someome found out what they spent on training , and asked “what if we train them and they leave ?”

He replied “what if we DONT train them , and they STAY ?”
Trucking is a different world. The only way for a company to hire fresh graduates and train them is if they are large enough to be self-insured. The insurance companies run this industry, and when 90% of all accidents occur with a driver that has less than one year experience, and 95% of accidents occur with drivers with less than 2 years' experience, what do you think the insurance company says when the trucking company wants to hire a fresh graduate?

We have tossed the idea around back and forth over the years about starting a small training division, to have one or two trainees at a time with an experienced driver to learn how we want it done. The problem is the cost increase on the insurance just for one trainee would make the entire operation unprofitable.

Trucking is a different world. The only way for a company to hire fresh graduates and train them is if they are large enough to be self-insured. The insurance companies run this industry, and when 90% of all accidents occur with a driver that has less than one year experience, and 95% of accidents occur with drivers with less than 2 years' experience, what do you think the insurance company says when the trucking company wants to hire a fresh graduate?

We have tossed the idea around back and forth over the years about starting a small training division, to have one or two trainees at a time with an experienced driver to learn how we want it done. The problem is the cost increase on the insurance just for one trainee would make the entire operation unprofitable.
I’m not sure how the company he works for does their insurance

They only have like 6 or 8 trucks

They may be self insured up to a certain amount, I dunno .

I do know they haul some very very expensive cargo .
So there has to be some insurance involved.
They regularly haul cargo that would cost $50 mil to replace . And some that was a lot lot more than tjat

Their training was 9 months long , on top of the 320 hour community college program, when combined , that would get the driver just over a years experience ?

which might be what their particular insurance co requires ?

Seems like it would be cheaper for trucking companies to just treat their existing experienced drivers better and pay them better and keep them , than to constantly have 120% annual turnover .

But obviously it’s cheaper to hire new drivers with no experience , “train “ them for three weeks and pay them
Next to nothing and treat them like dogshit stuck to your shoe, than to keep the experienced drivers .

I’m not sure how the company he works for does their insurance

They only have like 6 or 8 trucks

They may be self insured up to a certain amount, I dunno .

I do know they haul some very very expensive cargo .
So there has to be some insurance involved.
They regularly haul cargo that would cost $50 mil to replace . And some that was a lot lot more than tjat

Their training was 9 months long , on top of the 320 hour community college program, when combined , that would get the driver just over a years experience ?

which might be what their particular insurance co requires ?

Seems like it would be cheaper for trucking companies to just treat their existing experienced drivers better and pay them better and keep them , than to constantly have 120% annual turnover .

But obviously it’s cheaper to hire new drivers with no experience , “train “ them for three weeks and pay them
Next to nothing and treat them like dogshit stuck to your shoe, than to keep the experienced drivers .
How much more can a company actually pay the driver, though? There's only so much money to go around in trucking, and you have to divide it into four columns.

Column A is the truck. It eats first through payment, fuel, and maintenance. It also happens to be the largest column of the four, as the truck expense itself will be over 50% of the revenue.

Column B is the driver. This is the second largest column. This includes pay, benefits, etc., to include acquisition costs.

Column C is compliance. This column is completely fixed, as it includes all of the required permits, licenses, DOT regulations, etc. It also includes overhead for the staff required to maintain compliance.

Column D is the actual profit. It is insanely small, as most companies operate around 3% these days.

I hear drivers talking about how they want a big truck with big power and big top speed, but they don't understand that that would increase the cost of column a. That money has to come from somewhere. Column C is fixed. Column D is very small. That means the money has to come from the driver.

I hear drivers talking about how high the gross rate is compared to how much they get paid to drive the truck. They don't realize that they are the second largest column, and that profit is extremely slim while compliance costs are fixed.

In reality, there is no more money to pay experienced drivers a higher rate unless the freight shipping rates increase to support this. This will not happen as long as those mega carriers continue to claim that there is a shortage of drivers. These carriers like to claim that there is currently a shortage of 35,000 to 40,000 drivers. If this were true, there would be freight sitting everywhere on docks waiting for a truck and the drivers could be paid more. In reality, that is how many empty trucks they currently have sitting in their yards across the country. Where did these drivers go? In the last 4 years, there have been 40,000 new entrants, that means there are 40,000 new trucking companies that opened their doors, mostly solo operations run by drivers fed up with what the large carriers are putting them through.

In short, there's no money because there is no actual shortage of drivers. The large companies are still claiming there is a shortage in order to lower the acquisition cost and training time for a new driver in order to keep driving rates farther down and to try and squeeze out all the competition.

How much more can a company actually pay the driver, though? There's only so much money to go around in trucking, and you have to divide it into four columns.

Column A is the truck. It eats first through payment, fuel, and maintenance. It also happens to be the largest column of the four, as the truck expense itself will be over 50% of the revenue.

Column B is the driver. This is the second largest column. This includes pay, benefits, etc., to include acquisition costs.

Column C is compliance. This column is completely fixed, as it includes all of the required permits, licenses, DOT regulations, etc. It also includes overhead for the staff required to maintain compliance.

Column D is the actual profit. It is insanely small, as most companies operate around 3% these days.

I hear drivers talking about how they want a big truck with big power and big top speed, but they don't understand that that would increase the cost of column a. That money has to come from somewhere. Column C is fixed. Column D is very small. That means the money has to come from the driver.

I hear drivers talking about how high the gross rate is compared to how much they get paid to drive the truck. They don't realize that they are the second largest column, and that profit is extremely slim while compliance costs are fixed.

In reality, there is no more money to pay experienced drivers a higher rate unless the freight shipping rates increase to support this. This will not happen as long as those mega carriers continue to claim that there is a shortage of drivers. These carriers like to claim that there is currently a shortage of 35,000 to 40,000 drivers. If this were true, there would be freight sitting everywhere on docks waiting for a truck and the drivers could be paid more. In reality, that is how many empty trucks they currently have sitting in their yards across the country. Where did these drivers go? In the last 4 years, there have been 40,000 new entrants, that means there are 40,000 new trucking companies that opened their doors, mostly solo operations run by drivers fed up with what the large carriers are putting them through.

In short, there's no money because there is no actual shortage of drivers. The large companies are still claiming there is a shortage in order to lower the acquisition cost and training time for a new driver in order to keep driving rates farther down and to try and squeeze out all the competition.
Very well put.

Yep

It’s a race to the bottom .
And you’re correct in that unlike other career fields , in trucking there is zero room for advancement
The starting pay after training is basically the same as what you will always earn.

In other skilled trades like plumbing electrical or welding , the sky’s the limit for licenses and certificates and there is no endless stream of immigrants , since it takes four or five years as an apprentice to get your own state license .

The endless stream of immigrant drivers from India and Eastern Europe will make sure there is no shortage of drivers willing to work for minimum wage .

When my kid said he wanted to get into trucking, and I couldn’t talk him out of it , I finally suggested he find a niche that he wasn’t competing with immigrants and people just released from prison for the job .

During the CDL class at thw community college there was a company that does heavy haul oversize loads , that are secure loads .

The recruiter mentions average pay etc and everyone is interested , then says the applicants can’t have any unpaid child support , hapf
The class gets up and walks out ,
Can’t have any repossessions foreclosures judgments or liens , bunch more walk out , can’t have any felonies , or DUIs , no more than two traffic ticket convictions in the last four years and no tickets at all in the last two years .
Now there’s 3 students left , recruiter holds up the application and background check forms , about 120 pages , says it takes 6-8 weeks to get the background done , and drops them on the table with a bang , 2 of the students walk out .
Recruiter points to my kid and says “you’re hired !” ….
“as soon as we get the background check approved “

The shipper requires a passenger that stays awake at night to keep an eye on the cargo while the driver is sleeping . Shipper installed a satellite tracking system in the tractor ,
And the shipper does an extensive background check on the driver and the drivers siblings parents spouse and in laws .
W-900 with big power and after they’ve been there two years the driver gets to go to the KW dealer and pick the color of their new rig .

The shipper requires a passenger that stays awake at night to keep an eye on the cargo while the driver is sleeping . Shipper installed a satellite tracking system in the tractor ,
And the shipper does an extensive background check on the driver and the drivers siblings parents spouse and in laws .
W-900 with big power and after they’ve been there two years the driver gets to go to the KW dealer and pick the color of their new rig .
I worked with a driver who used to haul loads between military bases or other government locations. They were sealed, he wasn't told what he was hauling and it wasn't on the bill of lading. He was told this is the route you're taking and where and when you can stop. He was also told to bypass ports of entry and any scales and you will be watched. He was pulled over once by a DOT cop. Before the cop had made it back to his car with the driver's license and registration a blacked out Surburban had pulled up behind the cop car and a guy riding shotgun in a bullet proof vest got out and had walked up to the cop and had a brief conversation with him. The cop walked back with license and registration and told the driver "have a nice day, you're free to go". The driver said he could see there were multiple guys in the Suburban. The driver said those runs paid very very well.

Top Back Refresh