What's new

Adventure Rail build(s)!

Sceep

🖕___ 😆___ 🖕
Member Number
Loc
Central NM
Got tired of the hardcore crawling game years back and dad and I moved back to our motorcycle roots. Spent a few years riding gnarly singletrack with some amazing riders. Both of us also had street bikes so cruised them as well. We both still had our (what would now be called) overlanding rigs and spent many weeks each year out wandering the dirt roads of NM & CO. Sold the street bikes and moved over to big ADV bikes to camp off of. Rode the COBDR, half the UTBDR, half the IDBDR and dads ridden half the NMBDR. Rode all the hell over CO passes and dirt roads.

While on the IDBDR in fall 2020 I faced an OBS chevy coming at me sideways around a blind dirt corner. Kid was hauling ass to his hunting camp after school on Friday afternoon, slanging his truck around the dirt corners. I've done that thousands of times. I won't judge him. I have no idea how we didn't collide. My rear pannier must have missed his rear bumper by fractions of an inch. Bike and I hit the ditch and came out ok. Dad came up on the scene a few minutes behind and was glad I was alive. I am positive that kid and I both learned a lesson that day and will be safer in the future because of it.

But it scared the shit outtah dad and I. We're not getting any younger and wrestling the big bikes around with all the camping gear makes long days longer. I want a cage back.

So we're sitting around last summer having some beers and I just go "HEY, you know what? We need sandrails! We can get our wind therapy, our camping trips, our 1k miles of dirt and 1k miles of pavement trips. We can run any damn trail in CO that we want to anymore. We can cruise em to lunch, to work, WhereTF ever."

A week later dad drug his home. :laughing: I've been shopping for something that I wanted since then. Nothing meets the cut. I don't want to build something. I've built stuff. I'm over it. I want to buy and fly. But my budget is also too low for my goals. So I ended up buying a pile a few weeks ago. Ran poorly and couldnt test drive because of no brakes. Seems like it has a good heart and bones but needs its muscles worked on. Maybe a good start. Lets put some time and monies into it.

Best I can tell its homebuilt and had at least 2 prior owners (the builder, and the guy who did some hack work). Its got a late 80's Ford EFI N/A 2.3. Late 60's 3 rib bus trans. Late 70's king/link pin front beam. All 4 tires face different directions. It's had poor landings, and hooked trees with the rear tires. It has dryer ducting as an intake hose

1691624616373.png

1691624986552.png

FIrst thing is get the thing running and stopping.
E2000 fuel pump that we've run in everything forever sounds really, really sad. Traced down a shitty filter that was bleeding air into the system. New filter, thing fires up, idles and revs great. Slam some slave cyls in the brakes and we're off!

1691625238757.png

Drivers front tire is SUPER wonky. Flopping all over and just pointing over there / . Ordered up rebuild kit for the king and links, bearings for the beam, shims. Everything. Rebuilt the front end, tightened up the wheel bearings and its about 75% better but still fawked. Spindle is bent. Whatever. It's good enough for now to see if this thing is gonna do what I want.

Put a muffler on it so I could cruise to the office and keep the wife happy.

1691625823853.png

Threw the dryer duct in the trash and tidied the intake up.
1691628389325.png

Been driving it for the past few weeks, couple hundred miles on it now, and its good but have to get the rear tires facing forward instead of to the side. It's sketch as F on the pavement. :laughing:

1691625655232.png

1691625667748.png

Pass rear looks to have hooked an immobile object at some point and bent the F outtah the trailing arm (note the dirt stripe on the tire in the above pic). Drivers side isnt as bad but is also bent.

1691626011959.png

So now we're to today and waiting on boxed arms, bearings, seals, boots etc. to show up Friday hopefully.

1691626077770.png

Last edited:
Gay.

That's OK, when you go 3X3's do the 10deg tranny mounts to and get that oil pan out of the dirt.

Before you put the bars back in, cycle it to see how much ground clearance you have. With 1" arms moving the tires back you may be able to grind the stops on the torsion housing some. Same with droop with the axles in. Bottom usually gets down to the bolt with stockist arms. 3X3's that bolt is in the way.

Before you put the bars back in, cycle it to see how much ground clearance you have. With 1" arms moving the tires back you may be able to grind the stops on the torsion housing some.
Noted.

. Bottom usually gets down to the bolt with stockist arms. 3X3's that bolt is in the way.

No clue what you mean here though. What bolt?

This bolt.

1691626077770.png

Looking at that closer, it doesn't look like any of the rear stock trans mounts are there. So scratch the 10deg comment.

If your concerned with width, get some less gay rims.

Also, some shrouding around the radiator to keep boiling water off you in the event of a hose failure would be a good idea. I saw this happen at glamis. Boiling hot water all over the chick in the passenger seat. She couldn't get the belts undone. You will never forget someone screaming like that.

Also, some shrouding around the radiator to keep boiling water off you in the event of a hose failure would be a good idea. I saw this happen at glamis. Boiling hot water all over the chick in the passenger seat. She couldn't get the belts undone. You will never forget someone screaming like that.
Yes a firewall/shroud is high on my priority list.

ETA: bdkw1 this scenario actually kept me up a bit last night thinking about it. It's funny you brought it up as Sunday while the wife and I were having lunch I had already mentioned to her that if she ever felt anything hot to GTFO ASAP as it was right there.

Dad and I helped with safety tech and contingency for many years at KOH are are well versed in what is needed to keep the occupants as safe as possible. Its going to be a challenge and may require re-locating some things. I also need to rework some of the cage to get appropriate harness mounts in as the ones in there right now are just back breakers, and no provision for a sub-mount.

Thanks for looking out. I definitely don't ever want to hear those screams. :beer:

Last edited:
This is awesome!!! I have never had a rail, but want one for some reason. Still think it might have to happen someday. :usa:

YESSSS I was waiting for this thread...

I've wanted to do something similar for a long time but racing dirt bikes and dipping my toe into 18 other hobbies has kept me away from it. Maybe here in a few years when I finish all my other projects (as if).

My dad has a bunch of old Baja bug parts in storage somewhere that we never got around to installing, but he hates it when I go offering his parts up and it looks like you got it covered anyway :laughing:

Hell yeah. Bonus points for no vw engine!

We built two rails in the late 90's one for my dad and one fory father in law.
I had a lot of fun bombing those mofos around town.

Will it do wheelies with that much weight hanging off the ass end? Looks like you could pick the front end up by hand :laughing:

They race buggies in our local series and some of the mod class ones have some badass power, Subaru or turbo Ecotecs are pretty popular. Eric the guy from Radial Dynamics on here has one with a Hayabusa motor that he's raced the Mint 400, Mt Washington hill climb, I think Pikes Peak etc with.

It's always great to see those things come across the line with a front wheel missing, the remaining one steering and keeping it outta the dirt by staying under power. Fun stuff 🍺

Will it do wheelies with that much weight hanging off the ass end? Looks like you could pick the front end up by hand :laughing:

I haven't tried. Probably but its HEAVY. Takes dad and I both to pick it up. The WHOLE underbelly is plated with 3/16" front to back. :eek:

In contrast, can pick up dads easily with one hand.

Those are bus rear arms, aren't they?
Do they make aftermarket bus arms?

How long are these? Wondering how the dimensions compare to a golf cart (sxs)...
WB of a stock beetle is in the 94" range so anything with a stock pan is gonna be around that.

This one is 101"WB. Dads is 110". Skys the limit if you want a limo. :laughing:

Dad sent some pics of his pile. Its a 2.8 Buick I think? 3 rib bus trans, boxed arms, rear disks. Long and low. interested to see how it does compared to mine so far. It's way front light which is going to be a problem. He's got a rectangular fuel cell en route that he's going to mount up front, as well as the battery. hopefully that will tame it down enough to actually steer.
1691716308575.png

1691716399488.png

Well now I'm searching for sand rails again. Had a baja bug years ago, always wanted to strip all the rotted out VW off of it and put the running gear in a nice short wheelbase rail chassis for a woods buggy.
Shit ton of them up your way. Should be easy to find one. :beer:

I'm a fucking money wasting retard.

Might as well throw hundys into the wind and let the members in Amarillo catch them. :mad3:

Apparently EVERYTHING I ordered is for a type 1 IRS. Not a 70's type 2.

NOTHING fits.
20% restocking fee and return shipping on me. Not a good fucking weekend.

shitfuckassmotherfuckdumbshitassfuckfuck! Not happy. Trying to save money and just wasting it. :flipoff::mad3::flipoff: Fuck!

Just a heads up, if your dad puts brakes on the front, it will need shocks too. Otherwise the trailing arms will wrap around backwards if you use the brakes in reverse. I would X brace the front of that thing too. It probably has some pretty serious flex going on.

bdkw1 noted x3! Thank you. Shocks are definitely in the works . But will pass the rest of the knowledge to him.

I'm a fucking money wasting retard.

Might as well throw hundys into the wind and let the members in Amarillo catch them. :mad3:

Apparently EVERYTHING I ordered is for a type 1 IRS. Not a 70's type 2.

NOTHING fits.
20% restocking fee and return shipping on me. Not a good fucking weekend.

shitfuckassmotherfuckdumbshitassfuckfuck! Not happy. Trying to save money and just wasting it. :flipoff::mad3::flipoff: Fuck!

OK so I think I have the mess sorted out. Super nice and helpful guys at Pacific Customs. They are going to waive the restocking fee for me but I still gotta ship all the shit back on my dime.

We have identified my brakes, stubs, bearings, torsion housing, torsion bars and spring plates as 73-79 Bus. Trailing arms are modified stock units. Basically a royal PITA to find parts for and they dont carry anything.

His recommendation was cut out the whole thing and replace it with bug stuff for ease of parts sourcing. That aint gonna happen.

So I think the smartest route at this juncture is to cut these bent to shit arms apart and build some new ones that get the tires pointing in the right direction so its at least drivable, and sellable.

Then go from there. If I love it after that, well I might just have to live with drums for awhile and deal with hard to find parts (not smart for my intended usage). Or sell the thing and get something with different parts.

*sigh

I just discovered conversion stubs.

That might save the day.

I can use (almost) everything I ordered and retain my T2 CV shafts.

I will have to cut and move the spring plate brackets on the new arms. And either cut and move the mounts on the torsion housing or rework the ends of the arms some to get to where the (non-factory) mounts are currently welded.

I will have to order disks.

But I wont have to throw away $$ on return shipping this 100lbs of brand new shit. And I get disks which is where I was headed in the long run anyway...

Gonna try and sleep on it. This is driving me freaking crazy.

Top Back Refresh