What's new

Adding bypass valve to hydraulic tilt trailer?

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
I want to add a gravity tilt valve to my trailer at work. At first I thought just tee into the 2 lines and put a valve in, but then I remembered the rod will displace fluid and just letting it flow from one side to the other won't work.

Is there an easy way to do this with the common 12v hydraulic pump set up?

I want to add a gravity tilt valve to my trailer at work. At first I thought just tee into the 2 lines and put a valve in, but then I remembered the rod will displace fluid and just letting it flow from one side to the other won't work.

Is there an easy way to do this with the common 12v hydraulic pump set up?
Run your hoses through the reservoir.

Run your hoses through the reservoir.

For one, the reservoir is plastic, so not easy to work with.

2, I have no idea what you mean by through?

To be clear. I don't want to effect the power tilt. Just thought it would be handy to be able to just pull the machine on and off without having to run the pump.

you're gonna need 2 valves and 2 lines going to the resi

For one, the reservoir is plastic, so not easy to work with.

2, I have no idea what you mean by through?

To be clear. I don't want to effect the power tilt. Just thought it would be handy to be able to just pull the machine on and off without having to run the pump.
A gravity tilt trailer has a reservoir in the bypass lines to deal with the displacement of the rod. You’ll have to either add one or use the one already on the trailer.

A gravity tilt trailer has a reservoir in the bypass lines to deal with the displacement of the rod. You’ll have to either add one or use the one already on the trailer.

I understand that, but what I'm unsure of is how to tie the current resivour into the pressure lines without effecting the power tilt function.

One way check valves.

As I understand, it's a very simple system.

A pump with 2 solenoids that either run up or down.

When going up, the other side of the cylinder drains into the tank right? And visa versa when going down.

If I add a crossover valve between the 2 lines, that would only work untill the rod displace enough fluid that it won't flow.

So you need to drain off the excess pressure back into the tank, but if you add in a check valve, how does the valve know the difference between pressure from the rod displacing fluid and the pressure from the pump lifting the trailer?

Basically this isn't a very easy thing to add?

One way check valves.

I had a long response typed out and lost it :homer:

Edit: guess I didn't loose it :laughing:

Basically I don't understand how a check valve will know the difference between pressure from the fluid displaced by the rod and the pump lifting the trailer?

I guess this is what they use on gravity only trailers, any reason it wouldn't work with a pump in the mix?

You need to ask someone to draw a flow schematic so you can understand what they're trying to tell you to do.

Might get the ball rolling if you post a schematic showing what you've currently got.

Its the most basic system that all hydraulic trailers have.

It's a pump/tank unit with 2 lines coming off to either side of the ram. I'm not exactly sure what's going on inside it, but looks like 2 solenoids mounted to the pump.

Something like these?

Very similar, yes

I think this is the specific one

Screenshot_20240213_060457_Chrome.jpg

I just watched a guy do this setup yesterday, as I'm looking at powering a gravity tilt.
I'll pull it up when I get over to the computer in a bit, firing off a Biden right now.

I can't get on here on the computer and YouTube doesn't work on my phone.

I can't get on here on the computer and YouTube doesn't work on my phone.

Top Back Refresh