What's new

9mm Major Reloading Questions

Do you not pass them through a chrono ?
I've loaded 300K plus of 9mm major and never blown a primer. You need a chrono before you get hurt or damage your gun

USPSA is great for that. They have chronos at their matches.
No, I don't have a chrono. yet.

No, I don't have a chrono. yet.
I'm not going to lecture you about not doing what you're doing as I've done it myself BUT stop before you get hurt. You need a chrono

Start all over -
Where are you getting your brass ?
How are you prepping your cases ?
How are you priming your cases ?

Lets start there

I'm not going to lecture you about not doing what you're doing as I've done it myself BUT stop before you get hurt. You need a chrono

Start all over -
Where are you getting your brass ?
How are you prepping your cases ?
How are you priming your cases ?

Lets start there
Lecture away man, lecture away. I came here asking for the help.

brass is once shot brass from my gun. I practice a lot and pick up my brass. (factory white box and federal)
Case is run through a walnut tumbler with a squirt of polish/cleaner. then they are run through my single stage lee press for resizing.
I put the primer in right after the case gets resized, on the lee loader.

Dropping a loaded round in your case checker means nothing when you know you've got a tight chamber.
Try this -
Buy or borrow a chrono

Take 20 - 30 of your once fired cases, do not clean or resize
Deprime
Hand prime
load
shoot

I don't recall ever resizing 9mm brass, I'm sure I did at one time but you shouldn't have to.

Dropping a loaded round in your case checker means nothing when you know you've got a tight chamber.
Try this -
Buy or borrow a chrono

Deprime
Hand prime
load
shoot

I don't recall ever resizing 9mm brass, I'm sure I did at one time but you shouldn't have to.
I plan to get the chamber reamed, I will do that once I get it back.

Try this -
Buy or borrow a chrono

Deprime
Hand prime
load
shoot

Can you elaborate on "hand prime"? How is that different than using the lee loader and how do you hand prime? :homer:

Can you elaborate on "hand prime"? How is that different than using the lee loader and how do you hand prime? :homer:
Buy a hand priming tool and prime them by hand. It lets you make sure that every single primer is seated correctly, something that easy to miss in a machine. Important when you start doing things with pressures that they weren't meant to do. Its truly not mandatory but I much prefer it. You can prime 1K in a 2hr movie

Buy a hand priming tool and prime them by hand. It lets you make sure that every single primer is seated correctly, something that easy to miss in a machine. Important when you start doing things with pressures that they weren't meant to do. Its truly not mandatory but I much prefer it. You can prime 1K in a 2hr movie
OK thnx. I'll look into the hand prime tool. :smokin:

yup, lee autoprime or whatever it is called
it uses different shell holders but it is totally worth the hassle, got at least 50k primers though one
what...
you mean trimming?

I'm not sure if they still sell the same one I have but the Lee hand primer is one of the few things they really do well. I can sit around with a coffee can of brass and fly through some priming with one.
Been using a rcbs one for every bit of 15 years and it just sucks ass. With large primers if it will actually feed them, it does allright. But small primers...It'll jam up, or feed one in sideways fairly often.

One of those things that shoulda been tossed years ago, but for some reason I'm still using the damn thing.

yup, lee autoprime or whatever it is called
it uses different shell holders but it is totally worth the hassle, got at least 50k primers though one

what...
you mean trimming?

I did.

I think mines an RCBS I have no clue how many primers have gone through it, its my 3rd one though

Edited for correctness.

Last edited:
I hate loading pistol ammo. It is normally straight wall casings which create a lot of issues not normally experienced. Like crushing case walls while seating and most have to be crimped. The bullets in your pic aren't crimped. There shouldn't be that flat straight wall you have and the edges should be rolled over. That is a simple die adjustment to get the crimp where it should be. No crimps are fine in wheel guns but create havoc in autos.

I know you said you bought a new fancy pistol but check your feed ramp anyways. Autos are all about consistent lockup. Machine marks on your feed ramps will mess lockup up and cause feed issues. I have had to polish feed ramps on Desert Eagles, Glocks and Sigs. If your feed ramps are not chrome looking smooth, polish them until they are. Vise up the barrel and go to town with a Dremel and a polishing kit until that ramp looks like chrome. It is a simple thing that will increase the function of your gun and you really can't hurt the barrel unless you grind it. Anyone can do it.

Reloading straight wall auto pistol rounds are the bane of my existence, it takes so know-how. I can put you in touch with a guy that is a master at it if you want.

I’ll admit I haven’t read the whole thing but wouldn’t .38 super or super comp be less trouble in the long run?

I’ll admit I haven’t read the whole thing but wouldn’t .38 super or super comp be less trouble in the long run?
Explain, please. I, me, think 9mm Luger, only once fired, is too long for the chamber on his gun. .38 Super is already too long (OAL wise).

Explain, please. I, me, think 9mm Luger, only once fired, is too long for the chamber on his gun.
it not that he say use brass not for chamber it he say that to be get better result for use gun with chamber for longer cartridge to be better for hot load

Explain, please. I, me, think 9mm Luger, only once fired, is too long for the chamber on his gun. .38 Super is already too long (OAL wise).
I think what 486 said applies(although its not in english), maybe the longer case of the 38 would be an easier load to get +p+ in. But that wont run in my gun. I've established that these cz have a VERY picky chamber. A CZUSA employee and damn good uspsa competitor confirmed this and what I need to do to make the gun/chamber/barrel just this >< much better. Once I get that done I will get back to loading for the gun. Fwiw, he is running an oal of 1.170 with 7 grains of wac. I was trying to run 6.2 grains with an oal of 1.130. Might be a little to much pressure.

I think what 486 said applies(although its not in english), maybe the longer case of the 38 would be an easier load to get +p+ in. But that wont run in my gun. I've established that these cz have a VERY picky chamber. A CZUSA employee and damn good uspsa competitor confirmed this and what I need to do to make the gun/chamber/barrel just this >< much better. Once I get that done I will get back to loading for the gun. Fwiw, he is running an oal of 1.170 with 7 grains of wac. I was trying to run 6.2 grains with an oal of 1.130. Might be a little to much pressure.
hahaha, post I quoted had some strange flow to it so I ran with that

surprised there isn't a CZ in 38sup for the mexican and french markets where .mil calibers are verboten
though it doesn't make sense when you can just get yours chambering a longer OAL to get the same result

any aftermarket barrels out there? I know glack shit is like 60 bucks for a barrel, and I wouldn't feel bad at all about doing a boring bar throat job on a cheap aftermarket barrel

hahaha, post I quoted had some strange flow to it so I ran with that

surprised there isn't a CZ in 38sup for the mexican and french markets where .mil calibers are verboten
though it doesn't make sense when you can just get yours chambering a longer OAL to get the same result

any aftermarket barrels out there? I know glack shit is like 60 bucks for a barrel, and I wouldn't feel bad at all about doing a boring bar throat job on a cheap aftermarket barrel
I figured as much on the strange flow, it made me chuckle.

nope on the barrel, Ill just keep mine! :eek:

CZ-75-Barrel-CZECHMATE-9mm.png

Somebody out there has to have taken one of these barrels out to .38 super? I mean .355 is .355. You’re basically just lengthening the chamber and a little extractor ejector work. I might be showing my ass as I’m mostly familiar with the 1911 platform.

.38 super doesn’t need to get run that hard to make major. And super comp over comes what few weaknesses regular .38 super has. There is a reason the super ruled the roost forever. And I don’t know what kind of comp you’re running but the .38 guns shot lighter due to the gas volume making the comp work better. My 9x25 Dillon actually dives in recoil. But that’s another story.

I just wasn’t sure if there was a .38 super barrel available for his gun.
Ya to be honest I dont know either. it seems like a squirrel chase to me though. The real issue I am having is my oal to fit the factory tight cz. a little gun smith work and it should be fine. then I will have a lot more options while loading. the cz rep I mentioned above said to get it done and not worry about the gun side of it, focus on my loads.

Hell its just a pistol. Buy a reamer, chuck it up in the DeWalt after a couple of toddies. And fix it yer self

Top Back Refresh