What's new

92 yj 4.0 running/starting issue

Squamch

Canadian
Member Number
Loc
republic of Vancouver island
Buddy just got a 92 yj. 4.0 5spd. Starts cold, dies after 30 seconds or so and won't start again.
Replaced-
Coil
Distributor
Crank position sensor
Fuel pump

Swapped the ASE relay with the horn, no change. Fuses are all good.

Code says intermittent crank position sensor fault, wire harness all looks good.

Any ideas? I'm not a jeepist so this is the first I've fucked with one of these.

The other weird thing I've run into was a faulty fuel pump relay...that works intermittently

On the CPS - you mention the harness looks good...I assume that includes the connector too? Any corrosion in there?

The other weird thing I've run into was a faulty fuel pump relay...that works intermittently

On the CPS - you mention the harness looks good...I assume that includes the connector too? Any corrosion in there?

Yes it does.

Fuel pump relay, is that in the fuse/relay box under the hood? Or hidden is some stupid location?

Further investigation has revealed that it dies when he touches the brakes now. Fucked up master cylinder allowing some kinda massive vacuum leak that kills it?

Further investigation has revealed that it dies when he touches the brakes now. Fucked up master cylinder allowing some kinda massive vacuum leak that kills it?
Does hitting the 4-ways also kill it? (assuming the same bulb gets used for turn and brake)

Vehicles will run fine with the booster hose unplugged.

Pull the tail light fuse while running…. Push brake pedal!!!!
Negate any short or wiring issue!!!

It's wiggling the fuse panel under the dash and killing the ignition circuit.

he needs to get up in there and squeeze the fuse holder sockets closed so they hold the fuse better.

All of my electrical woes go back to that panel whenever my rig is acting up.

shittiest panel on the planet:shaking:

In a perfectly shitty spot too.

Well, it was none of the things suggested. It was the harness running to the back of the jeep that was presumably unclipped when the new exhaust was done, hanging on the exhaust, and melting until it was a glob of wires shorting the fuel pump circuit.

On the upside, he now has a spare every sensor and computer. Cause his dumbass didn't crawl under it and look around. And neither did anyone else that came to work on it.

Top Back Refresh