What's new

9" housing width - need help

gutlessYJ

Red Skull Member
ST4x4
Member Number
It's a simple question... but odd circumstances for me...

I've got a 9" form a 78/79 full size Bronco (same as 74-79 F100/150) in the back of my Jeep YJ. Just destroyed the housing (on Fordyce) and separated the driver side tube form the center housing. I'm trying to order a whole new housing, but cannot find dimensions of the HOUSING flange-flange. I'd go out and measure it but that's not an option for 2 reasons: 1) I've moved temporarily to Florida and my YJ is in NorCal and 2) since I welded it up as a trail fix, I wouldn't trust the measured dimensions.

I know the WMS is 65.25 and conventional wisdom seems to be saying to just subtract 5" for housing flange-flange width. Is this correct? Else, can anyone provide a measurement or link with documented dimensions?

Thanks in advance.

9" have a very standard housing flange to axle flange of 2.5" so yeah id say 5".

But better to be certain than long

Appreciate all the replies. Yup - saw the one from Broncograveyard. 63 doesn't seem quite right... but I guess it's time to start making calls. Or... just sack up and buy a RuffStuff or diamond housing, chop it down and weld the ends myself. Anyone got a jig they'll rent out???

It's a simple question... but odd circumstances for me...

I've got a 9" form a 78/79 full size Bronco (same as 74-79 F100/150)

Thanks in advance.
Theres the answer, go get one from a farmer or wrecker for a case of beer, I've got 10 that way, (sometimes the farmers make you drink the case of beer with them too)

Theres the answer, go get one from a farmer or wrecker for a case of beer, I've got 10 that way, (sometimes the farmers make you drink the case of beer with them too)

BEER... that's the part I was not factoring in to the equation!

I should clarify, I'm 95% sure it's form the vehicles stated. Stock 31 spline shafts, 32" both sides, "big bearing, old style" ends. Scouring local listings but tough when 3000k miles away from the project vehicle.

Appreciate all the help!

Last edited:
77-79 f150 a sure bet too, all will be 31spline, 3:55s be the norm, 4:09 not so much, at least in this hemisphere, probably best to avoid f100 older style, possibly ball bearing instead of roller.
To add our beer is $25 for a 12 pack :homer:

Last edited:
77-79 f150 a sure bet too, all will be 31spline, 3:55s be the norm, 4:09 not so much, at least in this hemisphere, probably best to avoid f100 older style, possibly ball bearing instead of roller.
To add our beer is $25 for a 12 pack :homer:

I've had a few 73-76 F100 4x4 that came with nodular 3rds. The 67-72 did all sorts of weird shit with 9s, d44s, d60s, etc.

If you’re not in a rush, I have a 77 F150 axle in my storage shop an hour from my house. Stupid thing sat at my place for the last 4 years, just brought it up there a couple weeks ago to clean up my house in town.

I may be picking up another 77 F150 at auction on Thursday. I’ll pull dimensions from either if you need them, but it’ll be a week.

If you’re not in a rush, I have a 77 F150 axle in my storage shop an hour from my house. Stupid thing sat at my place for the last 4 years, just brought it up there a couple weeks ago to clean up my house in town.

I may be picking up another 77 F150 at auction on Thursday. I’ll pull dimensions from either if you need them, but it’ll be a week.

THIS would be great! Not in a huge rush - plus this would save me serious coin from buying a fab'd housing (by being more comfortable as to what donor vehicle to hunt for).

Well, it definitely took me a while to get those measurements, I didn’t end up buying the auction F150 and it took a while to get down to the other shop.

Anyways, from the 77 F150 axle I have: 60.5” outside of brake flange to outside of brake flange. 65.5” WMS to WMS (with drums).

Well, it definitely took me a while to get those measurements, I didn’t end up buying the auction F150 and it took a while to get down to the other shop.

Anyways, from the 77 F150 axle I have: 60.5” outside of brake flange to outside of brake flange. 65.5” WMS to WMS (with drums).

Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated.

Top Back Refresh