What's new

78 bronco 3 link

ANGELO

Red Numb Skull
Member Number
Loc
BRADENTON FL
I'm getting ready to 3 link my 78 bronco with 2015 superduty d60 axles. I decided on 3 linking 4 years ago. Bought the axles and some of the parts, cut everything off the axle then the engine blew and it's been sitting since. Now I'm ready for the axles, and I definitely would have just done radius arms, but I'm committed now!
I've never done anything like this before, and have no idea what I'm doing. The truck will be used on the street locally. Will probably trailer it for further distances, but I'd like it to not be sketchy at highway speeds. Since FL, it will see the most extreme trails, that civics with atv tires and a limo with a donk lift can do with ease.

Here's now it sits with the half ton stuff and the weight of the 460. 37x14x15 iroks.
PXL_20240107_170454005.jpg

It has stock leafs 3" block and a shackle flip in the rear. And the longer deavers coils in the front.

PXL_20240218_195312076.jpg

Now the rear has deavers 4" leafs, and the shackle flip. I cut the perches off and got the ruff stuff install kit so I can just weld them on for the right pinion angle.

Now for the front axle. I bought a atec truss with my trump bucks during covid. I thought that would be the easiest way to mount the link brackets. So the axle has been stripped of all the factory brackets. My plan is to use the same coils. I don't really want to go any higher. My goal is to make sure it can still fit in my pole barn.
Looks like I should get the truss welded on since it only fits in one place. then keep the coil pads and link mounts loose, then get it under the truck and start measuring.
One thing I noticed yesterday, the coil pads for the truss that are probably spaced for a jeep, are a few inches narrower then the spacing on the d44. Do the coils need to be the same width top and bottom? Or should they be angled one way or the other?

I have some 17" gate keeper beadlocks with 3.5" backspacing ordered, I've been watching the interco blem list for swampers. I don't really want to go bigger then 37s, Yet I think 40s would probably fit it better.
I also have everything for a doubler, not sure if I want to put it in. I don't think I really need it, and I really don't want to pull that heavy transfer case out again.

I'll get some pictures of the truss later today.

Top Back Refresh