What's new

71 F250 4x4... I need load leveling airbags

71PA_Highboy

An Unknown but Engorged Member
Member Number
Loc
Near the Triad, Lookin' at the freeway
I am gonna be towing more and need to add some leveling capacity.

71 F250 4x4 with 79 D60 F&R.

Stock springs/height on the rear, Super duty springs on the front.

Been a while since I even cared, but will soon be towing too much to not do anything.

Suggestions?

Simpler is better, more complete kit is better.

TIA

Many of the kits come with small bags that have 4" of travel. So they will cripple movement but work fine for on road towing. Daystar makes a cradle to decouple the lower mount. Air lift has longer travel bags and kits now.

That kits uses bag 57298, 7" diameter and 7" travel. Better than the older 5" stuff.

I use D2600 7" bag, 10" travel on my '14 F250.

Many of the kits come with small bags that have 4" of travel. So they will cripple movement but work fine for on road towing. Daystar makes a cradle to decouple the lower mount. Air lift has longer travel bags and kits now.
Those Daystar lower cradles are somewhat popular with the late model Tacoma crowd.

Welp...

Went to install the airbags.

The kit is designed for late model 3" springs, not the OEM 2.25 springs.

I reached out to etrailer and they told me i have to contact Airlift and gave me their number.

10 : 1 they tell me they don't make anything that fits and to send it back.

So now i gotta figure out how to mod the brackets and make new U-bolts to make it work because I doubt they make a lower bracket that fits thes springs.

That looks almost identical to the Air Lift kit I got for my 2002 W22 Workhorse front. Does it mount in front of or behind the spring perch, capturing the leaf spring for the lower mount? I never liked it being mounted to the leaf spring. I'll eventually get around to fabing a new lower mount so it sits on top of the leaf at the perch, replacing the bump stop. My bags have an internal bump stop.

If it's the lower mount that is too wide, can't you use spacers off the bolts, or weld a small tab on the bottom of the bracket on each side to keep it centered?

So these mount the bag over the top of the spring.

As for spacers, everything is set on 3" holes and centers... I need to make sure the centerline of the bag is over the centerline of the spring, and under the centerline of the top mount.

The U bolts are 3" and they are too short for the highboy spring pack so something is gonna have to give.. I just hope they have a solution for it so I don't have to design it myself... I am no Rattlesnake..... :laughing:

Some pics would help to see relation of space to bag size.

Option B is a custom block with a mount for the bag, and place bag under frame.

I put it back together to pull out of the shop so I can do other shit.

I will call Airlift tomorrow and see what they say... It looks like the firestone is designed for the narrow springs...

I will get pics next time I pull it into the shop... probably sunday,

With anything custom, I found it easist to make or buy an upper bracket, then fhe lower bracket just find a way to mount the daystar cradle.

Top Back Refresh