What's new

5VZ-FE Possible Head Gasket

Ok, I've been driving it around town the last couple of days, The NEW AISIN fan clutch I installed does not come on soon enough,
temps are pushing up around 215* or so, and parked in the driveway I'm able to stop the fan and hold it.

I'd like it to come on sooner, I knw you can take then apart and replace the fluid, I haven't found out what to do to get it to come on sooner.

Other than that so far so good, runs and drives nice. I've got about 50 miles on it.

Ok, I've been driving it around town the last couple of days, The NEW AISIN fan clutch I installed does not come on soon enough,
temps are pushing up around 215* or so, and parked in the driveway I'm able to stop the fan and hold it.

I'd like it to come on sooner, I knw you can take then apart and replace the fluid, I haven't found out what to do to get it to come on sooner.

Other than that so far so good, runs and drives nice. I've got about 50 miles on it.
Higher viscosity fluid should cause it to lock up sooner. The procedure should be the same as this.

Higher viscosity fluid should cause it to lock up sooner. The procedure should be the same as this.
Thanks.

Exactly what I was looking for , I'll order some and play with it, seems like 215* should activate the fan clutch,

20230802_100747.jpg
20230802_100741.jpg

Draining and refilling the fan clutch, also adding that trans cooler in the background.

This is a belated update, but things got in the way, Fan clutch comes on around 170-180* I'm plenty good with that, trans cooler is installed after the radiator cooler, I'm using both.
I've been driving it around town not trusting what will happen.
Between my work and possibly still having head issues since I didn't send them out. My around town temps run around 190-201* never driving more than 5 miles from home, Today I did a 10 mile freeway loop, 75 MPH It hovered around 186-192 range, getting off the freeway and sitting in stop and go traffic.
It reached a peak of 203 sitting at a signal, once moving it dropped down to 197. and parked in the driveway idling it cooled back to 186.

I know it sounds like I'm all obsessed about a couple of degrees, but it was rock solid at 201 forever.

Anyways, looks like a small leak in a head gasket. So 300k and I did a radiator, trans cooler, water pump, thermostat, timing belt, fan clutch, and head gaskets, with some misc, cooling hoses thrown in, also flushed the oil cooler, and resealed the oil pan.

I don't have a hard number, but guessing probably $1500? Around here an unknown mileage used motor is $2500

I'll keep watching it, but feeling pretty confident it's dependable.

This is a belated update, but things got in the way, Fan clutch comes on around 170-180* I'm plenty good with that, trans cooler is installed after the radiator cooler, I'm using both.
I've been driving it around town not trusting what will happen.
Between my work and possibly still having head issues since I didn't send them out. My around town temps run around 190-201* never driving more than 5 miles from home, Today I did a 10 mile freeway loop, 75 MPH It hovered around 186-192 range, getting off the freeway and sitting in stop and go traffic.
It reached a peak of 203 sitting at a signal, once moving it dropped down to 197. and parked in the driveway idling it cooled back to 186.

I know it sounds like I'm all obsessed about a couple of degrees, but it was rock solid at 201 forever.

Anyways, looks like a small leak in a head gasket. So 300k and I did a radiator, trans cooler, water pump, thermostat, timing belt, fan clutch, and head gaskets, with some misc, cooling hoses thrown in, also flushed the oil cooler, and resealed the oil pan.

I don't have a hard number, but guessing probably $1500? Around here an unknown mileage used motor is $2500

I'll keep watching it, but feeling pretty confident it's dependable.
temp taken by what?

have you replaced the temp sending unit (behind the intake, IIRC)?

My tacoma runs about the same temps as you mention here.

Using the Torque app off of the obd2
10-4. I used a scanguage when I was dealing with temp concerns... If you're really worried, may be worth throwing a mechanical gauge on it for testing?

I have a new temp sender sitting in the glove box... but it looks like a PITA to replace unless you have hands the size of a toddler.

10-4. I used a scanguage when I was dealing with temp concerns... If you're really worried, may be worth throwing a mechanical gauge on it for testing?

I have a new temp sender sitting in the glob box... but it looks like a PITA to replace unless you have hands the size of a toddler.
i bought a sending unit, it's still in the factory sealed packaging, I'm jacked up right now, 3 weeks ago had rotator cuff surgery, so just driving wrapped up in a sling was a headache.:lmao:

Most of the work was done one armed due to torn ligaments, pre surgery and not being able to lift my left arm:homer:

ignorance is bliss. Get rid of the scan gauge and just make sure the temp gauge lives about a blonde one below half. If it doesn't deviate from that, smile and carry on with your day.

I put a scanner on my 2002 chevy 1500HD one day towing my boat across the desert...temp guage said 195 and I called bullshit since the outside temp was 122°. Scanner said IAT was 137° and ECT was 247°....lol. GM thinks that's fine since they don't think its hot enough to move the gauge yet.

ignorance is bliss. Get rid of the scan gauge and just make sure the temp gauge lives about a blonde one below half. If it doesn't deviate from that, smile and carry on with your day.

I put a scanner on my 2002 chevy 1500HD one day towing my boat across the desert...temp guage said 195 and I called bullshit since the outside temp was 122°. Scanner said IAT was 137° and ECT was 247°....lol. GM thinks that's fine since they don't think its hot enough to move the gauge yet.
trusting a stock Toyota gauge on my other 3rd gen is how I smoked an engine,
I have no idea what the temp was, but the gauge never moved. And cost me an engine.
Not trusting the factory gauge,

trusting a stock Toyota gauge on my other 3rd gen is how I smoked an engine,
I have no idea what the temp was, but the gauge never moved. And cost me an engine.
Not trusting the factory gauge,
I agree with this... My double cab gauge always read warm. but it never moved. xtracab reads cooler, and it's super charged. old 4runner read normal and scangauge showed it ran cooler.

I think the Toyota gauge is just a dash filler.

I agree with this... My double cab gauge always read warm. but it never moved. xtracab reads cooler, and it's super charged. old 4runner read normal and scangauge showed it ran cooler.

I think the Toyota gauge is just a dash filler.
I was a Toyota dealer tech back when these were new. In my experience with Toyota stuff...the gauge should live just under 1/2....as soon it goes to half, we've got a problem. Obviously there are exceptions.

Also...head gaskets don't last forever....some do, but some don't.

I was a Toyota dealer tech back when these were new. In my experience with Toyota stuff...the gauge should live just under 1/2....as soon it goes to half, we've got a problem. Obviously there are exceptions.

Also...head gaskets don't last forever....some do, but some don't.
My experience with owning more than half a dozen of these, all pushing 250k or more, tells me the subtle changes in the well worn factory gauge/sending unit combo is lees than trustworthy.
I know this is a long thread, but I started seeing a creeping temp on the obd2 reader, up till then this truck had been rock solid, so I had a known pattern of temp reads. When pulling the heads I found a slight leak, this cost me probably $1500 all in, and left the bottom end alone. Compression was 160 in all 6 cylinders prior.

The one I blew up cost me considerably more, it threw a check engine light and had dropped a cylinder with no change on the gauge, it also happened pretty fast I would have liked to see what the OBD2 registered when it happened but I wasn't using anything to monitor that then .

I did use all Toyota supplies on the rebuild. And yes at 250-300k with unknown service records I expect I'm at the end of life on these.

BTW: I have a nice 3rd gen for sale, just serviced:flipoff2: gold 2wd 301k

Ok, I've been driving this rig all over, I'm about 2 tanks of fuel through it and pretty confident I've solved it, tearing apart the clutch fan and tweaking it has helped, also adding an external trans cooler, I've got it up for sale because we don't really need it, but I'm going to continue to drive it.

Top Back Refresh