What's new

5.9 gasser drivers side exhaust manifold removal...

dave_dj1

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Jackson NY
any tips? It's an 01 5.9 magnum in a 2500 4x4. The manifold is pretty rusty and I don't want to make things any worse than they are. I've watched a bunch of toob vids but mostly for the hemi's.
I have a new manifold going back on if that makes a difference in how you would proceed?
Thanks for any tips or advice.

Well I would have held out and got the 5.9 HO like myself. Rarely do I see rust on my bucket. But anyway slather it up with penetrating oil for a few days then give it a whirl. At worst you break one and have to replace it. But not too hard to do.

Well I would have held out and got the 5.9 HO like myself. Rarely do I see rust on my bucket. But anyway slather it up with penetrating oil for a few days then give it a whirl. At worst you break one and have to replace it. But not too hard to do.

Thanks for the reply. I hate rust but unfortunately we have an over abundance of it here thanks to all the Karens that have to have the roads dry after the first snowflake falls and keep it that way until the storm is over.
My biggest concern is breaking any of them off and having to drill them out. I think tomorrow I will start it!

ETA: what is the 5.9 HO ?

I did one last year. A no brainer job really.
All accessible from the wheel well and from above.

Head bolts will be your only prob and as suggested spray them down and let it sit.

Have the welder ready in case you do break one off.

Well the flange bolts came right out, two bolts and one stud broke :( of course one in each journal so yeah, got one way in the back. I'm going to try the old weld a washer then a nut trick and see what happens.
Fawkin rust belt! Oh and couldn't find new bolts or studs local so had to order them from the bay. They will be here by the time I get those three broken bits out........LOL

Well the flange bolts came right out, two bolts and one stud broke :( of course one in each journal so yeah, got one way in the back. I'm going to try the old weld a washer then a nut trick and see what happens.
Fawkin rust belt! Oh and couldn't find new bolts or studs local so had to order them from the bay. They will be here by the time I get those three broken bits out........LOL

Well that figures. Only bad thing up that way. Rust. When I ever pull manifold bolts I always replace them with new ones. The old ones take quite a bit of heat and cold. Same for head 🔩

Well that figures. Only bad thing up that way. Rust. When I ever pull manifold bolts I always replace them with new ones. The old ones take quite a bit of heat and cold. Same for head 🔩

Yeah I had intended to get new ones but I figured I could grab them at the local Dodge dealer but nope, they don't stock jack so here we are...lol.....I'm thinking seriously of pulling the fender off before I tackle the studs, it needs a new fender anyway.
Welcome to my life....

I don't stock them either, the Magnum engines have been out of production for 15 years or so. The only thing I can think of that I stock for a Magnum is the pilot bearing.

Thanks for the reply. I hate rust but unfortunately we have an over abundance of it here thanks to all the Karens that have to have the roads dry after the first snowflake falls and keep it that way until the storm is over.
My biggest concern is breaking any of them off and having to drill them out. I think tomorrow I will start it!

ETA: what is the 5.9 HO ?

Forgot to say what a 5.9 HO is. Diesel of course, I can idle up most trails.

One small battle won! I welded a washer then a nut to the first broken bolt (down in the hole about 1/16th ) and it came right out. I used my borescope camera to make sure it was lined up. I think the middle one will be OK but the second to the last one in the back is going to take some acrobatics, wish me luck!

After looking at the second one I'm not sure welding is an option, it's broken off in the hole a good 1/8-3/16"
Always something!

So I drilled the second hole out...........and went through to the water jacket :(
I had drilled it large and then used a 17/64 bit and hit it with a 5/16-18 tap....that new bit pulled right in and poof, leakage.
I then tried to weld a washer on the back one but no bueno, could barely see it and just plain couldn't.
I have the head off now. I welded a nut to the last one and removed the broken piece. Yeah!
so my question is...get a re man head, or put some JB weld in the hole, run the stud in and let is set up and run it?
I'm for option 2. If you are familiar with these motors the two center holes have studs not bolts so it would actually be easy to JB weld and install the stud and wait. I'm not opposed to running a bead of weld around the stud once in place either if you all think it's necessary. FML

Solder or braze the stud in if you can.

I wouldnt have a problem jamming goo down the hole and studding it with some thread sealant for added measure

Well I have the head back on, the intake back on with a new plenum gasket too along with the exhaust manifold. Now I have to install the valve cover, new water pump, alternator, ac and power steering pump then re install the radiator and fill her up and test it. Side note: the inside of the plenum didn't appear to have any oil in it :) however I was able to loosen three of the cover bolts by hand...lol and both ends of the engine were covered in oil so the gasket to block may have been bad. I got all new hoses too since I'm in there!

Today's update, added anti freeze last evening and noticed it dripping out at what looked like below the water pump. I could have messed that gasket up but didn't think so, I was pissed! I started it up anyway and it fired right off and ran great all the while spraying new coolant. I shut it down, drained the system and yanked the radiator and left it until this morning. I added some water to the lower radiator hose that I had propped up and noticed the leak, turns out it was the thermostat housing gasket wasn't sealing. Where it bolts to the intake it was pitted, I lay'd a small amount of permatex and then the gasket, checked again and all is well. buttoned it up and all is good! Thanks for all the help.

Top Back Refresh