Votes: 2 12.5%
  • '08 Jeep Liberty 4x4 6 spd

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

redneckK20s

Member Number
Loc
Farber, MO
Hey guys, dumb and unrelated but I duke boyed my 2 dr 2wd 5 spd S10 blazer on monday and I'm trying to replace it. I drive 60-80 miles a day, need to haul various shit for my squarebodies and need to be able to pull 2k lbs on a trailer. Requirements are 4x4, manual trans and under 12k. There ain't shit around here so here are my options. Wanted a Tacoma but didn't want something with 300k miles. The Ranger I don't know price but it's most likely way overpriced. Compass I don't know the year or price and it's a little beat but it burns the least fuel. The liberty is $5800 and I can probably buy it monday, has 152k miles and is filthy. What's your choice?
20210131_110017.jpg

20210131_102001.jpg

20210131_114408.jpg

Would rather spend that same money on fuel for my k20.......

Both trucks are big blocks, one is a 4 speed and one will become a 4 speed. If I had the cash available I'd love to buy an LS and an NV4500 and turn my '85 into a daily but that's not feasible at the moment. The '84 runs but only on premium and needs a full electrical rework before it's legal. 12 mpg, runs on premium, 20 gal tank so I'd be filling it every other day. I've crunched the numbers, I'll be money ahead to get a beater to drive my family and I around.

i'd buy the ranger over the other two, it will actually do some decent work. can't imagine it being $5k either, but hell i don't know shit about prices

Non of those
do you really need 4wd or just want it?
Is a manual a deal breaker?

Non of those
do you really need 4wd or just want it?
Is a manual a deal breaker?
Auto is a deal breaker 100%. 4wd isn't entirely necessary but would be nice to have when hauling my motorcycle places and for Missouri winters. My commute is through some hilly backroads that almost never get touched by plow trucks.

Honestly if I was fine with an auto there wouldn't be a thread or a poll because there's a ton of shit to choose from.

In a perfect world I could shit everything I need to make either of my 2 trucks a reliable daily but either one is going to take a decent sized cash investment and a lot of my spare time (that I don't have a lot of). I can finance a cheap daily to save me money instead of burning it all on fuel and maintenance.

And drive a bitch ass lil phag wagon "jeep". Nope!

The jeeps/Chryslers of that era all have those shitty 5-6mm exhaust bolts that break off all the damn time. In durangos/dakotas theyre a fairly easy job to get out. The last one i did was one of those patriot/compass's and fuck that. The pside was bad enough with the strut/coil tower in the way and a total disaster. The drivers side i wiped my ass with the job and said sorry son, Youre sol.

Super common stupid ass problem compounded by a stupid ass design.

And drive a bitch ass lil phag wagon "jeep". Nope!

The jeeps/Chryslers of that era all have those shitty 5-6mm exhaust bolts that break off all the damn time. In durangos/dakotas theyre a fairly easy job to get out. The last one i did was one of those patriot/compass's and fuck that. The pside was bad enough with the strut/coil tower in the way and a total disaster. The drivers side i wiped my ass with the job and said sorry son, Youre sol.

Super common stupid ass problem compounded by a stupid ass design.

The Compass is out since it's basically a Fiat. The Liberty doesn't seem like it would be that awful because the drivetrain is JK stuff minus the front end/axle.

Can you fit a car seat in the jump seats on a Ranger? Legitmate question, I have no idea. Forgot to mention I have to haul a 3 year old around occasionally, also 4 dogs of varying sizes.

When you can do this with them they are worth it.

My s10 would cry with 800lbs in the bed. But I still miss it :confused:

Sure they're worth it.

But if someone shot dead every idiot who responded to an overpriced Tacoma ad or LS swapped a Colorado in the last 15yr every small pickup would cost 30% less.

The Toyota crowd is like Cash For Clunkers but in slow motion. They pay stupid prices for shitboxes and drive up the price of every equivalent shitbox. They are a cancer upon the used car market.

Last edited:
A 15-25yo Forester, CRV, Rav4, etc. will tow 2k with ease and haul a fully dressed big block as long you don't care about the trunk plastic as will literally any minivan. AWD minivans are expensive but they don't suffer from the amount of rich stupid being poured into the market the way small trucks do. Crossovers are all cheap compared to small trucks.

But then again, you said you wanted a Tacoma. So in that case you should buy the Liberty or a CVT Murano. Stupid should hurt.

So what I've gathered from this thread is all my options are junk and I shouldn't even waste my time, got it. Unfortunately this is all that's out there that I can afford so it looks like I'm stuck with garbage.

But then again, you said you wanted a Tacoma. So in that case you should buy the Liberty or a CVT Murano. Stupid should hurt.
A Tacoma is the only new truck I know of that you can still order a manual transmission in. There are also more manual Tacomas out there than any other small truck, really the only real reason I want one.

I voted Ranger. There are 3 Rangers in our family. No issues with them that you wouldn't have with any other vehicle. $1100 for the roughest one with miles and $4500 for the nicest one that was like new with 100k on it.

I wouldn't take the other 2 for free just because I'm not driving a tall station wagon.

Bring your 12k and a hot girl

I didn't see how many miles is on this one. We recently sold my dad's nice garage kept 06 Tundra 4dr 4x4 with 70k on it for $16,500. Sold it in less than 24hrs to the first guy that called on the add. Had 4 or 5 guys in line to buy it. Dad's was an automatic though.

Believe that Taco is salvage title but I might be wrong. That ZR2 is nice but I don't think I could get financed on it. I'm calling on the ranger this morning.

$4900 and 160k miles for a 1998 ranger. That's about $1500 more than what it's really worth. Everyone and their mom says the Liberty will be a nightmare. Guess I'm back to square one.

So what I've gathered from this thread is all my options are junk and I shouldn't even waste my time, got it. Unfortunately this is all that's out there that I can afford so it looks like I'm stuck with garbage.

A 3.0 is meh rather have the 2.3 if it was a 4L you'd be happier.

A 3.0 is meh rather have the 2.3 if it was a 4L you'd be happier.

It's "meh" but it's still fine for that sized vehicle. It's basically a 2.3 that you can shift slightly lower. I'd also rather have a 2.3 or 4.0 though.

Top Back Refresh