What's new

45acp's 30x40 shop rebuild

Thanks! It's been alot of work, and really slow going, but in the end everything outside will be done how I want it. Er, well scratch that... if it is done how I want then I'm bulldozing that shop and building a 40x100. :laughing:

Not much to update, spent a week on the beach with wife/kids, been cleaning up the woods around here. Got posts and headers painted... thats about as close as I can get matching paint just by eyeballing it. Hopefully getting C purlins in the next week or two.
20200820_152226_resize_54.jpg

Finally got the purlins and a pair of reciever channels to trim the ends... all "honcho en mehico" :rolleyes: whatever

Hopefully I can get this shit painted and welded up in the next 2 weeks.
20200917_125627_resize_85.jpg

Painted and welded up, despite the rain every damn day I been off work.

After building shit with USA perlins... FUCK Mexican perlins. The short sides are rounded... ovally... whatever, they won't stand up on end. Also, im guessing being shipped from La Cocina de la Muerte Negra, Cheewahwah to Texarkana this shit has been loaded and unloaded 300 times. If it was thicker gauge square tube, or round etc then no big deal. But this is 14 gauge "C" and it came tweaked. :rolleyes:

Trailer floor? Sure. Badass shop shelves? Deck on a cabin? Heck yea. Honest construction shit.... fuck no. :rolleyes:

Anyways... its up and painted. Ill get trim up next week and order some roof.
20200921_135520_resize_16.jpg
20201002_191219_resize_37.jpg

Done (finally)

Getting the trim on the ends was a bitch. 6" Mexican perlin is 6.25-6.75 depending on how much coke everyone at the factory had that day. No problem, just get a C-clamp and squeeze it in. Nope. Pops right back out.

I had to clamp this shit and FCAW a strap on it to get 6" so the end caps would go over the edge. :mad3:
20201126_143932_resize_60.jpg

photo34888.jpg
Forgot- i didn't like the seam at the corners, so I hacked up some leftover purlin and made some corner caps and jb welded them fuckers on:laughing:

Last edited:
Nice job. :smokin:

Corner caps are slick, that seam would have drove me crazy also!

Original idea- im going to pull the ends together with a ratchet strap, weld everything up, and grind it down smooth so it will all be seamless.

Then I realized that (a) i live so far out in the woods only 12 or 13 people have ever even seen this house and (b) i have anywhere from 5-7 minutes of free time in a given week. :laughing:

Boring property management stuff-

The little dirt road we live on is a 1 mile loop... we live on the corner of a L. The road comes down the side of our property from behind the shop. There's a little strip of brush/ young trees between the road and the back of the shop that hides all my junk back there except in winter. Spring- summer- fall, its a wall of Cambodia... but Dec-Jan-Feb it's ball ass in the open and im advertising free junk.

I want this strip to be a wall of evergreen so my shit is hidden 365. Also I want more "yard" behind the shop. So I've cut alot of this out, and planting bull pines, cedars, holly bushes, etc. Anything thats free. I'll fertilize the shit out of all of it and in a couple of years I'll be able to junk the place up good without anyone ever knowing about it. :laughing:
20201228_143806_resize_1.jpg
20201228_143549_resize_82.jpg
20201228_143513_resize_86.jpg

Build a fence?

I could, and might one day, but i dont want to.

Compromise agreement between wife and i is the fence has to be the same all the way around. So to get privacy fence down that one side, i need 1200ft of privacy fence around the entire back yard. We've got young woods around our property line that are going to be pretty in the next 5-10 yrs, and i dont want to block it all off with a stupid privacy fence.

Nice build!

what about a ranch style fence? 6’ tall would keep most stupid people out and wouldn’t block the view.

If i fence it one day, that'll be how i do it.

Right now there's no need to keep people out, i just want a visual barrier. 9 months out of the year you can drive down my road and it's just a wall of green with part of a roof in view. I just want it like that year round. (see pic in post #33)

We have zero crime up in here and i think we're the only ones that even lock our doors. However, all it's gonna take is some bored tweakers riding around in the winter at 4am to get a full view of all the crap i have behind my shop. Im not that worried about security i just want out of sight/out of mind.

Right now there's no need to keep people out, i just want a visual barrier. 9 months out of the year you can drive down my road and it's just a wall of green with part of a roof in view. I just want it like that year round. (see pic in post #33)

We have zero crime up in here and i think we're the only ones that even lock our doors. However, all it's gonna take is some bored tweakers riding around in the winter at 4am to get a full view of all the crap i have behind my shop. Im not that worried about security i just want out of sight/out of mind.

Possibly plant some type of evergreen shrub along the road. You should be able to find a winter hardy shrub that would stay green year round.

Possibly plant some type of evergreen shrub along the road. You should be able to find a winter hardy shrub that would stay green year round.

Yea I planted a few Holly's so far.

Good idea on the Leyland! Those things grow pretty damn fast.

I could, and might one day, but i dont want to.

Compromise agreement between wife and i is the fence has to be the same all the way around. So to get privacy fence down that one side, i need 1200ft of privacy fence around the entire back yard. We've got young woods around our property line that are going to be pretty in the next 5-10 yrs, and i dont want to block it all off with a stupid privacy fence.

Would constructing a wooden guard tower with old camera's with the red LED showing they're on be cheaper and more entertaining? Keep those tweakers paranoid.

Would constructing a wooden guard tower with old camera's with the red LED showing they're on be cheaper and more entertaining? Keep those tweakers paranoid.

Haha yea that would probably work, but I still want a hidden area behind the shop. I like the idea of my neighbors thinking "wow 45acp has a pretty, clean place... he seems like the junk hoarder type but I guess we were wrong". And then I'd be all totally hoarding junk, but nobody would know without a drone.

:flipoff2:

Well, we gonna find out how this non-snow load Calc flat roof holds up to snow.

We never get snow... maybe a dusting or 2 every decade. We're at almost 2ft. I think it'll be fine, headers look to have about 1/4"-1/2" sag in the middle of 22ft span.

Fangers crossed

20210217_171529_crop_67_resize_2.jpg
20210217_171602_resize_4.jpg

Not shoveling it to see if you conquered nature? Or I'll go outside and deal with mosquitoes or snow, not both? :laughing:

What's the wall thickness on that box tube?

It looks a lot more than 1/2" deflection. Could stuff a 4x4 or something mid span if you think it's going to go. My luck it would melt and the temporary support would fall over smashing the car window out so tie it up.

Not shoveling it to see if you conquered nature? Or I'll go outside and deal with mosquitoes or snow, not both? :laughing:

What's the wall thickness on that box tube?

It looks a lot more than 1/2" deflection. Could stuff a 4x4 or something mid span if you think it's going to go. My luck it would melt and the temporary support would fall over smashing the car window out so tie it up.

4x4 posts are 3/16, 2x4 headers are .250

I ain't getting up there and shoveling shit. "If he dies, he dies."

Pic is a bit distorted from phone camera. Pic looks exaggerated compared to eyeballing it.

747FA027-B4F0-4435-BC43-59FE88F962DB.png
This will take care of tweekers. Except mine can’t hear the damn UPS truck come down the driveway sometimes...

4x4 posts are 3/16, 2x4 headers are .250

I ain't getting up there and shoveling shit. "If he dies, he dies."

Pic is a bit distorted from phone camera. Pic looks exaggerated compared to eyeballing it.

I like how you're leaving your vehicles underneith just in case it falls.:laughing:

How's the conversation with the adjuster gonna go if that thing ain't engineered? (or is it engineered? I forget...)

I like how you're leaving your vehicles underneith just in case it falls.:laughing:

How's the conversation with the adjuster gonna go if that thing ain't engineered? (or is it engineered? I forget...)

Car insurance doesn't care about that. They just care about where the vehicle was and whether is was being operated and by whom and if you're covered for that type of event.

Homeowners insurance cares about shit like engineered drawings but homeowners insurance is bullshit that is basically never worth dealing with unless your shit gets burnt to the ground, flattened by a tornado or is otherwise a total-ish loss.

:laughing:

Together both vehicles have a combined net worth of $6200, both have liability insurance. Although I'm 99% sure stuff like this is automatically covered under homeowners. Either way, I'm not worried about it. I would flip the roof over w/tractor, hammer out dents, get a new window or 2 and keep driving 'em.

2ft of snow and ice on the roof and the thing sagged maybe 1/2" at the center. It ain't going anywhere. :grinpimp:

You satisfied with the size of the shop? I'm looking to start something this year or next. Probably clear land this year, build next year.

30x40 is my target size, but I'd be open for going larger. I figure two doors getting in 10' and a 14'. A lift large enough for my F250 and a bay to park the Kubota would be nice. Couple motorcycles and the ATV. Move the Kubota out when I have some work to do. That sort of thing.

Top Back Refresh