What's new

#4555 Grocery Getter Rock Racing - Like a Build thread, only slower

GGRR 4555

Member Number
Random progress as I backhalf team Grocery Getter Rock Racing #4555 Jeep TJ. Nothing exciting for the halls of Pirate/Irate but i'll consider it my photo album.

photo21901.jpg

photo21902.jpg

photo21903.jpg

Not going to lie, I punched in "#4555 Grocery Getter Rock Racing" into the googles, and had to read your last name three times to get it right. :laughing:

Looking good.

From what I saw of your Jeep before the back half, it worked pretty well. What are your goals for the new build?

I’ll be following on here and in person.

Not going to lie, I punched in "#4555 Grocery Getter Rock Racing" into the googles, and had to read your last name three times to get it right. :laughing:

LOL sometimes I doubt myself in pronouncing it.

2019 KOH Jeep Status: How the jeep was built as we started the 2019 Ultra 4 Season.

Drivetrain:

stock jeep 4.0
cherokee aw4 trans
np231 with np241 planitary and dodge big chain
tom woods drive shafts
loud ass exhaust

Axles:

front JK Rubicon Dana 44 with highly modified TNT customs Truss
Home Made diff cover to allow tie rod clearance
cut and double sheared factory knuckles
factory locker
5.13's
G2 chromoly axles installed on the lakebed
5/8th studs
alloy usa ball joints

Rear Ford 8.8
5.13 gears (second set after chipping some teeth a year before)
Yukon Grizzly Autolocker (had a detroit that shattered and Eaton was horrific to work with. No more Eaton lockers for me as they refuse to sell any replacement parts)
Yukon C Clip Eliminator and shafts
Brakes have red paint (full race) lol
Artec truss that was mofied to connect to the front axle rib and prevent the truss from moving around with the 4 link (ask me how I discovered the need for this)
Solid diff cover
Special thanks to Chris Paul who helped me build the axle years ago aver my Dana 35 gave up the ghost

Suspension:

Front 3 link DIY built using forged johnny joints. I purchased the links and joints as take offs from Tony Pelligino's Ultra 4 car. The bushings in these things lasted through the entire season and ____were barely worn. Shout out to the GenRight swap meet!
Approx 1" stretch using stock steering box and home made pitman arm (version 4)
Front Fox 2.5 x 14" coil overs with Pac springs. Tuned on the lake bed with Accutune
factory style foam bump stops in custom mount as well as shaft bumps on the shocks. Worked well.
shock hoops and engine cage built at home with much labor
Kartek limit straps

Rear tiangulated 4 link built with some creeper joints (the weld in ones are a killer price) and heims from Ruffstuff and Barnes 4wd
approx 6.5" stretch wheelbase
Fox 2.5 x 12" travel shocks racked back behind the axle (I wish they were 14" but I found them on craigslist and the price was right). Tuned by Accutune
Pac coil spring (not a coilover)
factory foam bumps and shock shaft bumps.
Factory this sawy bar with long links
Kartek limit straps

Chassis:

1.75" cage made in a firiends driveway and booger welded with a Lincoln (never again)
Trail Gear Sliders
GenRight swap meet score, aluminum corner guards
Custom rear bumper (I cut the frame off at the rear shock towers and made a little tube bumper)
Custom front bumper that started life as an OG Currie TJ bumper I bought for $50 in 2011
Skid plates are based on Clayton Skids that I won at a KOH volenteer auction in 2012 or so I think. Modified heavily for the AW4 trans and repairs to bending over the years.
Savvy Doors I got an OK deal on (craigslist find)

Fuel System:

Jaz 32 gallon cell
dual e2000 fuel pumps running to the factory hard lines
summit 100 and 10 micron filters and chinese summit fuel pressure regulator. So far so good.
fuel cell mounted in the trunk and pumps/filters mounted under the jeep behind the rear axle. Pumps stayed cool and the siphon is strong.

Misc.

1984 warn 8274 winch with controls wired into the cab and synthetic roap from Voodoo (courtesy of Ultimate Adventure 2017 with Chris Paul)
Light force lights with removable light wrack (never got to use it) and a small china bar running light
PCI vintage radio mounted in a dumb location that we could not adjust while driving (i'll fix that)
Parker Pumper thanks to Co-Driver Rand Bagy @dustyredneck
Uni foam filter for the motor

I'll think of more stuff and update this. Here are some photos from KOH 2019.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_6685.JPG Views:	1 Size:	146.4 KB ID:	123152

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_6720.JPG Views:	0 Size:	78.8 KB ID:	123155

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_6721.JPG Views:	0 Size:	122.1 KB ID:	123153

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_6747.JPG Views:	0 Size:	109.4 KB ID:	123156

Last edited:
Looking good.

From what I saw of your Jeep before the back half, it worked pretty well. What are your goals for the new build?

I’ll be following on here and in person.

Mostly I want to go faster with less pain LOL. Rampage at Ridgecrest beat the hell out of Rand and I. Round desert with not enough suspension to do anything quickly.

New back half and suspension means it is a good time to build a beefier axle. The Ford 8.8 was good to me but stepping up to a late 60's Eaton HO72 thanks to Chris Paul for the housing and third member. I think when all is said and done I'll have $1700 in the rear axle. Ruffstuff diff cover, 14 bolt mini spool, Lugnut 4x4 brakes, Brackets from Barnes 4WD, dorman studs, timken bearings, 5.14 gears with load bolt, and lots of 2" .120 wall tubing. I still have to rebuild the third member and build the top truss with bump pads but here is the start. I wanted to do a tube truss for the old school look on an old school axle. I have not decided if I am going to weld the diff cover on or flange the backbone truss so it is removable. Any thoughts?

I am modifying the ruff stuff cover to make it slippery. I am not a fan of sheet metal diff covers with a hard square edge on the bottom. I will add more to it soon.

IMG_8759.JPG
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

IMG_8779.JPG
IMG_8783.JPG
IMG_8781.JPG

Kickass! What are you running for axle shafts and locker?

I'm running the stock Eaton 17 spline shafts and welded locker. Running on 42's for a couple years with this setup and absolutely love the Eaton. I shaved it, welded up my own rear cover and modified an Artec 9" truss for it.

O4vvG54.jpg

4TTh0bo.jpg

I'm running the stock Eaton 17 spline shafts and welded locker. Running on 42's for a couple years with this setup and absolutely love the Eaton. I shaved it, welded up my own rear cover and modified an Artec 9" truss for it.

O4vvG54.jpg

4TTh0bo.jpg

Fuck Yea!! That looks killer! I guess it should survive the abuse I throw at it no problem! I bought a 14bolt mini spool and plan on running 14bolt factory shafts. I didn't get stock Eaton shafts with my axle so 14 bolt parts should work.

IMG_8982.JPG
Starting to get an idea on how I want to build the back half. 2" .120 wall frame rails. How about those SEXY ADS 14" 5 Tube Bypasses! Thank ful those guys gave me some racer support pricing. I still spent more on the rear shock package than I did on most of the trucks I have owned. :smokin:

looks killer, I am curious if you will feel a difference in the double triangulated 4 link vs the old single triangulated 4 link since it lowered your roll axis.

Progress is happening! Looks awesome with a mockup corner guard. I am still not sure what I will do for new corner guards. LJ Corners are a bit longer than I want and are expensive!
62347827539__FFEA8340-53B2-4F5E-9371-8E994E53336A.JPG
IMG_9013.JPG
IMG_8999.JPG
IMG_9016.JPG

photo26716.jpg

Top Back Refresh