What's new

4.0L Swapability - need engine for 2003

Member Number
Hi all,

So Irate4x4, guess I am dating myself but was looking for Pirate 4x4. Lurker Extraordinaire

Anyways got a 2003 LJ here with a knocking motor, what years will swap in? I am under the impression that need a 2000+ motor - that correct? Others say that 1996+ and I am good to go....

Want a direct swap with no hassles, have enough issues...

Thx JJ

The direct answer to your questions would be they are all physically interchangeable. If it were me and limiting hassle, I would look for a newer year motor to swap, it will be easier in the long run. Somewhere in 2000- 2001, ignition went distributorless with coil on plug. Also the later motors, I believe 01 and after, have the better head design. Something about casting thickness or deck height makes them less prone to cracking. I don't see why you can't convert a earlier block with a distributor to a coil on plug motor, all the block embossments I believe are the same, someone else can confirm or deny that.

You need the "clean slate" block.. a search should give you the correct years that will be a direct swap.

if you have the AW4 transmission then you’ll want a 97+ engine.

Why not keep the engine you have and fix the knock?

Hi all,

So Irate4x4, guess I am dating myself but was looking for Pirate 4x4. Lurker Extraordinaire

Anyways got a 2003 LJ here with a knocking motor, what years will swap in? I am under the impression that need a 2000+ motor - that correct? Others say that 1996+ and I am good to go....

Want a direct swap with no hassles, have enough issues...

Thx JJ

I'm your Huckle Berry.

I have one sitting in my shed you can HAVE!

Low miles apparently. I picked it up as a replacement for my jeep. There is a bit of a back story and if you look around here you can find it. Nothing bad though.

I mostly just want it gone so I don't have to move it again:laughing:

Send a message and we can work out the details.

When I say you can HAVE it. HAVE means free.

Sorry - missed your post! So can you drop it off up here in CAnada :) NOrthern Ontario to be precise.

Free BEER!

HI all,

Apears email notification wasn't turned on or working - apologize for not respoonding!

Why not jsut fix the knock? time & money crunch mostly - also doing a rebuild gets expensive because then I am going to want to do a cam, and upgrad this 'n that... then my wife gets mad and that is never pretty!!!

Thx JJ

Top Back Refresh