What's new

3rd gen problem

Jedrattle

Member Number
I have an ‘05 3500 qclb 4x4 Cummins with a 6spd. It has 195k on it. Last year, I bought a 31 ft toy hauler and that thing handed this truck it’s ass! I figured my overall weight to be around 21,000 lbs. I realize that’s some weight to be moving around. I’ve towed heavier a a few times but this trailer is killing the power. I installed a Banks exhaust, monster intake and an Econominder (Cali legal). Didn’t change anything in the top end loaded performance.
It has 6 settings and I run it on setting 4. Lately, the truck has been running strangely. Sometimes it’s down on power big time and other times it’s great. I went to Glamis last weekend and I was wondering if I was even going to make it there, as it had no power. Coming home, I had to slow it down. I don’t understand it. Other than the Banks stuff, it’s stock. I’m wondering if it has vgt style turbo and maybe it’s sticking?

How old are the injectors?

Put a fuel pressure gauge on and see if the cp3 is giving enough fuel.

Boost leak?

Just spitballing here.

My 07 5.9 handled my 16k lb toy hauler just fine. But I had no fueling problems or boost leaks.

How old are the injectors?

Put a fuel pressure gauge on and see if the cp3 is giving enough fuel.

Boost leak?

Just spitballing here.

My 07 5.9 handled my 16k lb toy hauler just fine. But I had no fueling problems or boost leaks.
Injectors are stock. I never thought about a boost leak. My buddy might have a pressure gauge to check it. I bought a Fass lift pump for it but yet to install it..this weekend hopefully.

Top Back Refresh