What's new

3 link Toyota steering box

Beattintop

Member Number
So currently I am running an Ifs steering box on my samurai. I am in the process of 3 linking the front end, pushing the axle forward 15". I am in a dilemma on what I want to do with steering. I know I am going to get the obvious, just go full hydro. But going full hydro is out of the question, I drive this on the street too much for that. SO my dilemma is with running the IFs box I have to set the steering box so far forward that it looks like absolute dog shit. So my thought was going with an FJ80 or 60 front swinging box. This will allow me to set the box behind the axle, which then will let me cut the frame back too and give me a better approach angle and overall better look. The only thing that I really do not like about running the fj box is at full bump I'm losing up travel because the tie rod will make contact with the pitman arm. I was really set on getting the absolute most up travel as possible because this is not strictly a crawler, yet more of a buggy for the desert.Need some opinions and suggestions. Picture I included is approximately where it will sit on the frame with the IFS box.

unnamed.jpg

14” coilovers and 37s and I’m going to make full tube fenders. Pushing it forward that much only puts my wheel base at 95” I eventually want to get to 100”
15" forward seems ridiculous...... What size tires and what travel shocks do you plan to use?

B834B052-331C-4E68-B4B8-3F00E075720F.jpeg

C40946EC-C497-4605-AE8A-ABFA36FCD341.jpeg

It's going to climb like shit and want to flop over backwards with the amount of rear vs front weight you created by moving the axle that far forward. You should split the stretch evenly F to R if you are looking for a 100" WB.

Then stretch it to 10” and then 10” in the rear?
It's going to climb like shit and want to flop over backwards with the amount of rear vs front weight you created by moving the axle that far forward. You should split the stretch evenly F to R if you are looking for a 100" WB.

I disagree, I see sami's and jeeps built like this all the time that climb fine. Not like the motor is terribly heavy in them any way.

It's not going to climb worse than the one you posted.

I probably wouldn't do 15" front and 5" rear either, but it's not going to magically just flip over backwards because the weight is a little further back. Most rigs that do well all around are fairly close to 50/50.

As far as the steering box, I'd probably go FJ60/80 (and did when I did mine) and lower the steering down, either under the arms or get some flat arms.

Last edited:

every rear engine moonbuggy out there that crawls great says youre totally wrong :flipoff2:

So I’m ordering a red head FJ80 box. Can I just move my tie rods to the bottom of my knuckles rather on top? I already have a flat pitman arm for it now that I’ll transfer to the new box
I disagree, I see sami's and jeeps built like this all the time that climb fine. Not like the motor is terribly heavy in them any way.

It's not going to climb worse than the one you posted.

I probably wouldn't do 15" front and 5" rear either, but it's not going to magically just flip over backwards because the weight is a little further back. Most rigs that do well all around are fairly close to 50/50.

As far as the steering box, I'd probably go FJ60/80 (and did when I did mine) and lower the steering down, either under the arms or get some flat arms.

that must be why everyone building a buggy puts the engine way towards the front :homer:

And that is why when they put water in the tires it climbs better. :homer: I can do this all night. :laughing:

In essence, OP is turning his Sammi into a front engine dragster by stretching the front axle ahead 15". He is moving a ton of weight to the rear from the front of the vehicle no matter how you slice it. Dragsters like to wheelie and his Sammi will too when he's climbing a waterfall or something similar and gets tons of traction with the rear tires. Pendulum effect and all.....

OP also stated he is not building a buggy and plans on driving this on the street. Hence why he isn't going full hydro. You think a 15" stretch is a good idea on a street driven vehicle?

And that is why when they put water in the tires it climbs better. :homer: I can do this all night. :laughing:

In essence, OP is turning his Sammi into a front engine dragster by stretching the front axle ahead 15". He is moving a ton of weight to the rear from the front of the vehicle no matter how you slice it. Dragsters like to wheelie and his Sammi will too when he's climbing a waterfall or something similar and gets tons of traction with the rear tires. Pendulum effect and all.....

OP also stated he is not building a buggy and plans on driving this on the street. Hence why he isn't going full hydro. You think a 15" stretch is a good idea on a street driven vehicle?

i think youre greatly over exaggerating the effects it will have and its not nearly as bad of an idea as youre trying to make it out to be :homer: i can do this all night too

you also must have missed the part where it isnt just a crawler but more desert, and if you looked around at most desert rigs their engines are not out far in front of the axle, but we can keep arguing if you want :laughing:

i think youre greatly over exaggerating the effects it will have and its not nearly as bad of an idea as youre trying to make it out to be :homer: i can do this all night too

I highlighted the part where you forgot to explain why like I did in my previous posts. If you want to play the "I think" game without using examples, hold your seat because I can sling bullshit with the best of them. :laughing:

Do I have to bust out the ms paint and draw horrible pictures to show you examples of the pendulum effect and how moving weight around on the pendulum makes it easier or harder to lift the low side???

@OP...... I lied earlier about the 5+5 stretch. That Sammi ended up with a 94" WB when it was finished. Same as a stock TJ. So it was an 8" stretch front and rear.

Last edited:
I highlighted the part where you forgot to explain why like I did in my previous posts. If you want to play the "I think" game without using examples, hold your seat because I can sling bullshit with the best of them. :laughing:

Do I have to bust out the ms paint and draw horrible pictures to show you examples of the pendulum effect and how moving weight around on the pendulum makes it easier or harder to lift the low side???

@OP...... I lied earlier about the 5+5 stretch. That Sammi ended up with a 94" WB when it was finished. Same as a stock TJ. So it was an 8" stretch front and rear.

youre doing such a great job so yes definitely keep going

I highlighted the part where you forgot to explain why like I did in my previous posts..

all of my previous post explain why, i used real world examples of people moving engines backwards in most builds as an example, including rear engine moonbuggies as an example of your exaggeration, if weight in front of the axle was as important as you claim people wouldnt be moving engines backwards

all of my previous post explain why, i used real world examples of people moving engines backwards in most builds as an example, including rear engine moonbuggies as an example of your exaggeration, if weight in front of the axle was as important as you claim people wouldnt be moving engines backwards

Moving engines back in a chassis and moving an axle 15 fucking inches forward are completely different things. But you go girl.....:shaking:

And your example of rear engine moon buggies sucks...... All the ones I've ever laid eyes on are technically mid engine and have the drivers compartment pushed forward to centralize the mass between the axles. Nobody is building them with the fucking engine over the rear axles. :homer::homer:

How come desert trucks don't look like this? :homer:

How come rock crawlers don't look like this? :homer:

Click image for larger version Name:	bonkers_blm_95.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.3 KB ID:	339223

*Because it's a horrible design for either one. :homer:

Last edited:
Are you really saying that if you pushed the axle forward 10" on the one you posted that it would climb worse? :laughing:

Are you really saying it wouldn't??? :laughing: Look at the mud racer I posted above and think really hard for a minuite..... or five, and then get back to me on that thought.

How come desert trucks don't look like this? :homer:

How come rock crawlers don't look like this? :homer:

*Because it's a horrible design for either one. :homer:

I'm not sure what your trying to get at with a ridiculous example, but I know plenty of people who stretch their front ends way out to get the front axle in front of the crank pulley, and it works well.

Have you ever looked at a bomber car? It's about as close to your stupid example as you can get. It seems to do OK in desert and rocks. What about all the guys running rear engine?

BTW, a 15" stretch on a Sami isn't that much when 29" tires rub the fire wall stock.

Top Back Refresh