What's new

2023 Bronco Badlands Mild Daily Driver Build

'84 Bronco II

El Chingón
Member Number
Loc
NM
There haven't been many posts here about the new Broncos, so I figured I would document my fathers Bronco he bought new earlier this year.

My father was looking at JLs and Broncos to replace his 2011 Mustang as his daily driver, but ended up getting a Bronco since he is a Ford die-hard at heart. He wanted to special order one, but Ford did not open the order banks to folks who did not previously have a reservation/order on file for the 2023 model year, so he was forced to find something on the lot. He ended up with a 2.3L 7 speed manual Badlands in Area 51 and the only option being the "Modular" steel bumper. He had to fly out to Los Angeles and drive it back, but it was a nice excuse for a road trip for him. For those of you who aren't familiar, the Badlands gets you the M210 front diff, lockers front and rear, 4.70 axle gears, a disconnecting sway bar, and Bilstein ESCV shocks with full travel compared to the Sasquatch models.

IMG_7384.jpg

The factory skid plates are pretty decent

IMG_7381.jpg

After getting it home, he had to test out the four wheel drive.

IMG_7380.jpg

The first "mod" was removing the crash bars.

IMG_7383.jpg

My father is one of those creative types and gets free shit from Amazon for writing amusing product reviews, so he got a freebie hitch to help protect the rear end and to be able to move trailers around if he needs to.

IMG_7382.jpg

The next mod was a Rough Country hidden winch mount. I sold my dad a Badlands 12K ZXR I had previously bough on a 25% off sale, and we installed it with a wireless controller wired to one of the auxiliary switches with a 500 amp relay. The install is pretty simple and straightforward other than cutting some pointless brackets off the engine crossmember.

IMG_5812.jpg

After that we took it for a more thorough evaluation of its capabilities.

IMG_8347.jpg

IMG_5788.jpg

IMG_5813.jpg

IMG_5814.jpg

After that, it became evident that the Bronco needed some more clearance. The non-Sasquatch Badlands wheels are 17"x8", but the back spacing is such that you can't really fit a 12.50" tire without wheel spacers or new wheels due to clearance with the front upper A-arm. The Sasquatch wheels have a +35mm offset versus +55mm for the standard Badlands wheels. Wheels spacers suck, and new wheels are expensive, so my father ordered up some 35/11.50R17 Maxxis Razr A/Ts in order to get a street-friendly 35" tire he could run on the stock wheels.

IMG_7378.jpg

IMG_7377.jpg

We also installed a Chinese knock-off of the Rough Country 1" leveling kit that he got for free from Amazon to help get the front up a bit more for additional clearance and rub prevention. Only a 1" spacer lift should keep the CVs and tie rods from over-extending and happy. The Chinese 1" leveling kit put the Bronco dead level. Installation was a bit of a pain in the ass, but not that complicated. Just a spacer on top and bottom of the front coil overs. You have to smack the shit out of the CV stubs to get them out of the hubs as well as the studs in the bar pins which get replaced with bolts.

IMG_7354.jpg

IMG_7352.jpg

IMG_7350.jpg

Some silliness from Ford, it says "Lift me, baby!" on the front fender liners.

IMG_7355.jpg

The bolts that replaced the studs can be installed from the bottom which gives a little more clearance than the factory configuration with the nuts on the bottom.

IMG_7353.jpg

The final product was just over 2" more clearance in the front and slightly over 1"in the rear.
IMG_7376.jpg

At the same time as the leveling kit install, we installed the Rough Country steering bushing kit and tie rod sleeves since tie rod and steering rack failures seem to be common on Broncos that actually wheel. We ended up using a wood screw + pliers along with a small, metal crow's foot for removing panels to pull out the factory rack bushings.

IMG_7356.jpg

The Rough Country bushings tap in easily with a large socket.

IMG_7351.jpg

Last edited:
I really like your dads rig, but I’ve also got a sweet spot for your Bronco ii…

Here's the steering all together with the Rough Country tie rod braces that install in place of the original jam nuts.

C4E1D3E2-ABED-4B11-ACC7-3BB0BBFBE902.jpeg

Also a bonus picture before the 35" tires camping in the Sacramento mountains in NM.
E1D4CA6A-3BDB-46DC-B596-8830AE0A6020.jpeg

These are growing on me. I'll probably take a closer look once the "2nd gen" comes out, whenever that is. What's the shift pattern on the 7 speed

These are growing on me. I'll probably take a closer look once the "2nd gen" comes out, whenever that is. What's the shift pattern on the 7 speed

Here's how the factory labels it (random picture stolen from the internet). The "C" stands for "Crawler gear" which is the actual 1st gear.
0432414C-AC09-41CE-A5AF-E072F6923A69.jpeg

Nice!😎

When you gonna swap in tons?😁

Never, but I'd love to see someone else do it :beer:

How much travel does it have with the stock 3-link?

That looks really, really well done as far as OEM suspension setups go.

You can look up the specs from Ford, but it's okay. It is definitely limited by the length of the factory coil overs and like most IFS vehicles, the rear does most of the flexing.

It is actually a 5-link very similar to what Jeep has been doing in the rear of Wranglers since the TJ.

Last edited:
I didn't even notice the pass side upper.

Is it symmetrical or does the pic just make the frame end of the driver's side upper link look lower down than it actually is?

I didn't even notice the pass side upper.

Is it symmetrical or does the pic just make the frame end of the driver's side upper link look lower down than it actually is?
They're symmetric, it is just the angle of the picture.

Really, you don’t want to beef up the tie rods until after you beef up the steering housing.

Leave the tie rods the weak point, so they break and not your $$$$ steering housing.

Really, you don’t want to beef up the tie rods until after you beef up the steering housing.

Leave the tie rods the weak point, so they break and not your $$$$ steering housing.

You must have missed the post above the tie rod sleeves where we installed the rack bushings.

Nothing new, but a few pictures from our Colorado trip I posted in a Chit Chat thread:
23A305DF-A3D1-4C8F-AF45-41E3C7F7B9A9.jpeg

EF4C5CFB-BC00-4EFE-B106-6FC84A7CDE6C.jpeg

3A4B408E-9510-4789-8A4A-FA7928C4E8EC.jpeg

053E7306-1AB2-40E3-A720-AFABE819F2CE.jpeg

Top Back Refresh