What's new

2021 hunting, fishing, trappin, killin, and grilling thread

Got my first turkey in quite awhile. Think the last one I got was almost 10 years ago. We usually just deer hunt this farm because there were never really any turkeys around. The last couple years I've been seeing more and more so I gave it a go this morning.

Set up in the corner I usually see them come out of, not knowing where they roost. Well turns out it's right in that corner :laughing:

Had 2 roosting about 75 yards from where I set up. One pitched down into the field about 75 yards away and the other went straight behind me. Could hear him walk probably 15 yards behind me and out into the neighbors pasture. He was out there for a good 30 minutes strutting and gobbling away but wouldn't cross the fence.

He disappeared over the hill for a bit, crossed the fence and came all the way back to me strutting the whole time. Got hung up across a water way 20 yards from my decoys and about 40 from me when I let him have it!

20210419_072754_copy_3000x2250.jpg

We've been doing pretty good on crappie at lake of the Ozarks this year. Got a Minn Kota Terrova which has made things a LOT easier.

Got a couple white bass last time too. Found them with the new helix 10 :laughing:

The right electronics really make all the difference!

Snapchat-1235077705.jpg

Snapchat-713503176.jpg

Snapchat-433102273.jpg

I'm a bit behind in this thread!

I hunted 3rd season turkey here and had an amazing morning. They were extremely quiet, this guy didn't make a sound and I shot him as he was attacking my decoy.
AprilTurkey21.jpg

Last week we went back to Idaho to meet up with some friends and go sturgeon fishing. Already booked again for next year! It took an hour and 45 minutes to bring this fish in! I reeled for the first 30 minutes, then 3 others after me.

IDSturgeon.jpg

Here's a picture of my antelope I got Friday morning. I've been putting in for 26 years and still haven't been able to get a tag. I found out last Monday I was getting a tag through "Hunts for Heroes", it also came with a guide.

We spent 14 hours Thursday glassing for bucks. Friday we were out and in place at 0345 waiting for daylight. We saw 4 small herds but were unable to get close enough to them to shoot. Finally saw a nice buck with 9 does and I was fortunate enough to get close enough for a shot.

Heres a pic of him.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210905-101507_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210905-101507_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 67
Here's a picture of my antelope I got Friday morning. I've been putting in for 26 years and still haven't been able to get a tag. I found out last Monday I was getting a tag through "Hunts for Heroes", it also came with a guide.

We spent 14 hours Thursday glassing for bucks. Friday we were out and in place at 0345 waiting for daylight. We saw 4 small herds but were unable to get close enough to them to shoot. Finally saw a nice buck with 9 does and I was fortunate enough to get close enough for a shot.

Heres a pic of him.
NICE! Good sized mature buck there.... get him over near Kaibab or something?

Heres a pic of him.
Well done sir. Nice goat! Going Halloween week myself, never harvested a speed goat.

96C9542E-76EA-4BAE-AC95-6F67DA315DD8.jpeg

Took my oldest out surf fishing this afternoon. He is more interested in playing in the sand than anything else, so tossing lures for snook while walking the beach isn’t in the cards just yet. Used some bonito strips and fish bites on pompano rigs and pulled in maybe 20 hardhead catfish so he was busy. Other than the onslaught of trash catfish we pulled a couple keepers, including this porgy. That is gonna be his lunch tomorrow.

Geared up and went out for a few hours. I've got two tree stands one close to the house, and another a little further away. The closer one is nice. Good size platform. Solid steps to climb into. Right over the bear barrel and food plot. NEver seen anything from there though. THe stand further away I had never been up on. THe steps were tree branches that are all snapped now. So, I lugged a 10' aluminum ladder out there, ratchet strapped it to the two trees, and climbed up it. The platform is super sturdy. Its a bit small though. The biggest issue is climbing into it. I have to squeeze between two trees and the branches keep hanging me up. Its sketchy as hell getting into it. I may have to do a harness and line. WInter time I don't think its going to work with my bulky cold weather gear. I have to contortion over everything to get into the stand.

So either way, checked closer stand. Deer cam empty. No droppings. Walked out to further deer stand, about a dozen or so deer scat. Could also see the trails they walk on. So I can confirm the deer are there.

We have a beaver pond about 40m out. That's where the deer used to bed, but its flooded right now. Its like a moat to go around it. And the biggest thing that freaks me out there, moose. I'm not sure how aggressive they are, but I already hate horses. A moose would scare the shit out of me. And there was moose shit out there this morning. Fresh too. Got to that point and thought to myself that I had deer shit way closer to the house. If I did get a deer, it'd be a shit show trying to drag it back. So I turned back.

Bought a second deer cam and a new backpack with water bladder. I'll try to work around the deer stand that's further out.

woods, I’ve spent time dragging deer. It sucks on flat terrain let alone on hilly ground. I’ve started field quartering when allowed on public ground. Takes a little more time in the field, but saves on time and effort dragging a deer out.

I believe you can eat those redfish right out of the water. When we did haddock fishing, they were fileting something up and eating it on the spot.

Vermillion rock fish, I'll only eat salmon and tuna raw that was fresh caught.

Jimbo

Vermillion rock fish, I'll only eat salmon and tuna raw that was fresh caught.

Jimbo
Yea, I passed on it myself. The other guys were loving it though.

Good catch. I miss deep sea fishing. When I was a kid, Dad and I went out a couple times a week striper fishing and going for blues when they were in.

Well that was an interesting find!
Went out hunting on Saturday, didn't get anything but we did go for a drive checking some trail cams. Came upon this freshly deceased 4 pt mule deer on the road. WTF? From the tracks around, and the damage to the rear end it is clear that wolves got it but I wonder if someone made a bad shot that made it easier for the wolves to take it down?
PXL_20210918_221739176.jpg
The only damage we saw was on the rear quarter which was pretty chewed up. No obvious bullet hole. I dragged it off the road into the bush a ways and set up a trail cam on it. Hopefully have some interesting pics by next weekend.

PXL_20210918_221536897.jpg

Just now getting a chance to share some pics of our safari in South Africa from the beginning of August. We had booked this trip 2.5 years ago and finally made it happen!
What we thought was going to be a "trip of a lifetime", will happen again. If you ever get an opportunity to go, or have thought about it, I HIGHLY recommend going! It is incredibly affordable, especially considering the different amount of game available and the accommodations were the nicest I have ever had. We ended up harvesting 8 animals (not including the birds) and saw around 40 different species while we were there.
Gemsbuck.jpg

Gemsbuk2.jpg
Waterbuk.jpeg
South Africa Chris 2.jpg
South Africa Chris.jpg
South Africa Impala.jpg
South Africa birds.jpg

Top Back Refresh