What's new

2021 Gardening thread

A bit late to the game but better than never. 3 pineapples from Oahu.
33A94480-7B3D-4EFC-81B7-0A3A7BF1A18E.jpeg
D8C9CEED-C7FC-4B47-8646-1FA66E486E9A.jpeg

Are you close enough to the equator for those to grow?
If you have the room indoors and a good window with a bit of supplemental light durring the winter they will fruit just about anywhere.

I have just had shit luck trying to get them to root

Edited because it looked like I was having a fucking stroke while typing. :homer:

Last edited:
Well after reading how well the Boogie Brew worked for Lurker, thank you, we decided to give it a whirl. Holy shit it works well and I didn’t even have a big enough air pump. But the next day everything was perked up and putting on growth. Going to hit it again this weekend as well.
It really does work well! Glad it worked out for you!

It really does work well! Glad it worked out for you!
Hey man. Suddenly everything is going nuts. Cucumbers sugar pumpkins and zucchini all exploded and tomatoes and peppers started kicking ass as well. Even my corn I gave up on has now grown just shy of a foot in less than a week and all the leavers look amazing.

Hey man. Suddenly everything is going nuts. Cucumbers sugar pumpkins and zucchini all exploded and tomatoes and peppers started kicking ass as well. Even my corn I gave up on has now grown just shy of a foot in less than a week and all the leavers look amazing.
Hell yeah! I refer to it as hippy tea, people seem to look at me less weird than when I say I only use compost tea on my garden. :lmao: My friend who is a csa farmer makes his own in a 35 gallon trash can. He uses his own compost, brewers yeast and liquid fish fertilizer he gets on super closeout from wal mart. He recommended boogie brew though if I wanted to get an off the shelf product. I got enough in the kit to last this season, but next year I will try some of my own. I will keep you posted.

Hell yeah! I refer to it as hippy tea, people seem to look at me less weird than when I say I only use compost tea on my garden. :lmao: My friend who is a csa farmer makes his own in a 35 gallon trash can. He uses his own compost, brewers yeast and liquid fish fertilizer he gets on super closeout from wal mart. He recommended boogie brew though if I wanted to get an off the shelf product. I got enough in the kit to last this season, but next year I will try some of my own. I will keep you posted.
I always made my own compost tea have 2 composters always working, one has a liquid trap that i just dump onto the plants every other week, the other i take out the compost put it in a bucket and add a bubbler to it for a few hours.

I always made my own compost tea have 2 composters always working, one has a liquid trap that i just dump onto the plants every other week, the other i take out the compost put it in a bucket and add a bubbler to it for a few hours.
I have just been using compost keyholes in two of my beds to get rid of kitchen scraps and add some nutrition. This year a buddy gave me a 55 gallon size composted, but I dont think I have enough browns going in it, it started smelling pretty bad this last week. I need to get a second one so I can give this first one some time before refilling as well. I am really just biding my time until we move, then I will get serious on the compost.

I did mess around and make some comfrey/borage tea. Cuttings from both plants in a big coffee can, filled with water for 3 weeks. God damn did it smell bad! Seemed to work well but not as well as boogie brew.

Looks killer Poopyface , good job man!

Here is my harvest for the day, I also gave 6-8 cukes to both of the neighbors.
0731212030_HDR.jpg

I am also doing a fall garden. Experimenting in the basement with grow lights vs led shop light for germination and starts.
0729212128_HDR.jpg

4 trays all planted the same with kohlrabi, lots of lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, kale and spinach.
0729212129a_HDR.jpg

What kind of soil you using?

I have been using the led grow tubes with good success. Never tried shop lights though.

I been thinking of growing a jalapeno plant indoors throughout the winter season using my grow lights but wondering if it would grow properly under full time artificial light. My money tree died so I need to replace it with something.

Today's harvest:
20210830_104106.jpg

Never tried shop lights though.

I been thinking of growing a jalapeno plant indoors throughout the winter season using my grow lights but wondering if it would grow properly under full time artificial light.
I grow 2 pepper plants thru the winter, keep them in the laundry room under 2 4ft 6500k shop lights, 12hrs on 12 hrs off
use a q-tip to pollinate the flowers

I am using this stuff from menards, they didnt have happy frog. I should have got the seedling mix, this stuff has sticks in it.
0830211652.jpg

Where I had seedlings in the basement, the shop lights worked better for germination. The grow lights made it too hot under the dome and they didnt germinate as well. Now I have grow lights on all of them, trying to get them used to more heat before going outside. They came upstairs a week ago but its been too hot to sit them outside. Mid to low 90's all week.
0830211657.jpg

0830211656.jpg

Finally got a decent crop from a cherry tree, don’t recall when we planted this, maybe five years ago. Usually gets rained out just as it starts to blossom. This year, since we did get much rain it helped.

Picture when in blossom, yes this was at night. March 28.

83CE66CF-690D-4A90-A675-7297E2339E5A.jpeg
Picked this today. Lost some to birds.
AAF4D9BE-DF58-4C6F-B77E-D3040EBB9D00.jpeg

Cherries need a pollinator if that is a Bing a black tartarian would be perfect.

Dave Wilson is a great resource

I think it’s self pollinating, I did plant another tree in the spring and damn gophers ate the roots. I’ll plant another in the fall with a fence around the roots.

Thanks, I’ll check the link.

A family member has been dealing with this for awhile and is not limited to rose thorns. Be careful work with soil after getting cut. The fungus is even found in peat moss.

Attachments

• Resized_123_1.jpg
    Resized_123_1.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 35
Shade cloth up and seedlings outside for the first night.
60031.jpeg
60033.jpeg

How about a bell pepper plant with 18 peppers on it? :lmao:
60039.jpeg

Couple tips on watermelon. Pick them when the rind is getting a custard color that is close to peak ripeness. They will not ripen anymore once they are picked. Cantaloupe and honeydew the vines will fall off. The best patch I had was rototilled amend soil plant an established seedlings in rows 18" apart and run soaker hoses then cover with black thick mil plastic (roots thrive in humidity). This is a little tricky getting the seedlings through so do a 1 row at a time. Typically I only allow 2-3 melons per vine and pick the best ones 18" apart. Then evenly spread straw out so the black plastic doesn't burn the baby melons.

Melons, tomatoes, and peppers are very susceptible to blossom end rot that is due to a calcium deficiency so use oyster or lobster shells

Our 8-28-2021 harvest And cucumbers on 9-6-2021. From July 9 to date we have picked 43 buckets of pickling cucumbers and an untold amount of the long slicers.

Attachments

• 8-28-2021 harvest.jpg
    8-28-2021 harvest.jpg
    969 KB · Views: 15
  • 9-6-2021 harvest.jpg
    9-6-2021 harvest.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
Well the compost tea helped out vegetative growth but 2 more massive heat spikes fucked my garden for the year. Cucumbers did well. Tomatoes not so much, zero pumpkins set fruit, same with zucchini.

Starting aother round of lettuce, spinich, green beans amd maybe try some peas with the cooler nights.

Berries did well no on blackberries, probably picked 10lbs so far and have another 30 or so to go ish. Might try some blackberry wine this year.

Top Back Refresh