What's new

2021 Gardening thread

• 2 smallish-variety Tomato plants
  • Daikon radish
  • Green onions
  • Cucumber
  • Growing on a porch in containers
I might cut it down to 1 tomato. Does anyone have a CHEAP heirloom, smallish tomato seed? I'll probably get them on eBay to avoid buying from Amazon. Nobody around here has seeds, I intend to set out mature plants in April.

Got the wife an Aero Garden for her birthday, so were growing tomatoes and peppers in the house. Starting seeds this weekend for the greenhouse in April/May. Greenhouse has about 3.5' of snow around it currently:homer:

Bunch of stuff. Lettuces and a couple tomatoes have already sprouted. Wife bought the onion sprouts. I think she planted most bbn of these on the second.
20210209_192647.jpg

I have seeds and will start in house prob next week or so..
Cantalope - Radish - Bell Peppers - presently growing some olallieberry (OH-lə-lee-berr-ee), sometimes spelled ollalieberry, olallaberry, olalliberry, ollalaberryor ollaliberry I transplanted to Vegas 25 years ago from Trabuco Canyon
I have 2 lemon trees - 1 ea lime tree - 1 ea Tangerine tree
march 1st i will start Baby Romain <--- get lots of cuttings from this and it's good
may add more ...I will start up some sunflower plants inside for transplant later.
:smokin:

This brings up something I've been thinking about. I've got a 5 acre lot in town that we used to rent out the pastures for horses, but done dealing with that shit and crappy people not taking care of it, or paying their rent. So now the pastures sit empty collecting weeds that I just end up mowing from time to time. I was hoping to use the land to start growing large gardens, but the well took a shit YEARS ago and watering it off city water would be out of the question for normal crops. So I started thinking about growing large amounts of hot peppers. I have only grown peppers a couple times and seem to remember that they required very little water. So my question to anyone that has grown peppers in large amounts, how much water did they require and how often? This is in Colorado west of Denver on the front range if that matters.

what do i need to mix in the soil of last years boxes to keep thing happy? i plan on doing some crop rotation as we are basically growing the same stuff.

currently upgrading to automated watering

635121091.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

image.jpg

its melting. Figure I will be planted by Friday:flipoff2:

Lots of veggies, Fruit trees, Strawberries Raspberries and Blueberries. Starting an2nd garden this year and building a thermalmass greenhouse of sorts as well. Soil in the new garden is going to be ish the first year because I am not paying $800 a truck for graden soil, need about 20-30 yards. Rather slowly build it myself. I am always happy with the end result, usually year 2 rocks and year 3 is just maintenance.

Mostly the same as last year. More tomatoes and beets, less broccoli, carrots.

Going to use a different fabric for weed control.

Last year planting.

fetch?id=18543&d=1590754281.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=18543&d=1590754281.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.1 KB ID:	314545

12V solar pump worked great. Also irrigated with a ram pump which was awesome.

fetch?id=18546&d=1590754512.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=18546&d=1590754512.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.2 KB ID:	314546

Last edited:
Starting from seed this year (first time in decades). I'm tired of paying the price for someone else to start 'em (and I usually get in a hurry to get them in the ground/super frost event/kill most of them/repeat:homer:). Mostly 'cherry' tomatoes*, lots of peppers (not bells/they never do well), bush beans, and I got my garlic started last fall (1st time and pumped!). *Last year we found 'black cherry tomatoes'. They were AMAZING, but no one has them this year and I R sad!

what do i need to mix in the soil of last years boxes to keep thing happy? i plan on doing some crop rotation as we are basically growing the same stuff.

currently upgrading to automated watering

Test your soil:flipoff2: But if your not going to do that mixing some good quality compost in is never really a bad idea.

Test your soil:flipoff2: But if your not going to do that mixing some good quality compost in is never really a bad idea.

i aint got time for that. the soil was what ever the local nursery delivered. just figured i needed to "freshen" it up.

Then a few bags of good compost should be good.

A question: Do you mix it in to existing garden dirt, or 'top dress'? I do deep beds and try to not stir it up if I don't have to. I've done it both ways and don't know if I can see a difference.

Anyone have any solutions for not having water close by? The location we are going to use for this year is a side yard plot that is about 125ft away from the closest hose bib. I dont want to have to snake out a hose every day for water nor do I want to leave one run and kill my grass/ get run over by the mower. Anyone use a water trailer or anything else? I thought about running water out there but I live in an ultra rocky area of New England so trenching will not be fun and there is drainage ditch in between the house and the side yard. Ive been contemplating a trailer setup with big poly tank to fill periodically and leave over there.

Anyone have any solutions for not having water close by? The location we are going to use for this year is a side yard plot that is about 125ft away from the closest hose bib. I dont want to have to snake out a hose every day for water nor do I want to leave one run and kill my grass/ get run over by the mower. Anyone use a water trailer or anything else? I thought about running water out there but I live in an ultra rocky area of New England so trenching will not be fun and there is drainage ditch in between the house and the side yard. Ive been contemplating a trailer setup with big poly tank to fill periodically and leave over there.

Killing grass with a hose = Bad

Killing grass with a trailer = Acceptable :confused:

I didn't have to go near as far as you do, but I ran hose out to my drip irrigation and used a quick connect to coil it up for mowing.

You can't dig a slit trench just deep enough for some black poly pipe, blow it out with air at the end of the season?

I'll be fashioning some no till beds soon. I close on a house on the 29th of March. 50% of the mowable area will become beds. I plan to mix vegies, flowering plants and herbs. I'll also be putting together my first bee hive under the instruction of a coworker. I'm figuring I'll do roma tomatoes, some climbing beans as I have a ton of chainlink fence, squash, green beans and who knows what else.

I'll be fashioning some no till beds soon. I close on a house on the 29th of March. 50% of the mowable area will become beds. I plan to mix vegies, flowering plants and herbs. I'll also be putting together my first bee hive under the instruction of a coworker. I'm figuring I'll do roma tomatoes, some climbing beans as I have a ton of chainlink fence, squash, green beans and who knows what else.

congrats.

Top Back Refresh