What's new

2021 Firewood thread

BUCKLAND

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
WMA
Well, Eastern White Pine I’m selling of our new lot, but I’m cutting the other trees at the same time for firewood. Tops of the pines that aren’t lumber quality are cut to 35” and split for firewood at the sugar house.

9F4F6D91-43D7-4C47-B2D3-91534E5410F5.jpeg

F522B9FA-DA29-4D44-8141-E514E0E7B8F0.jpeg

Just came in from cutting, I don't even burn wood. I got about 5 large cherry trees blown down / uprooted that need cutup.

Well, Eastern White Pine I’m selling of our new lot, but I’m cutting the other trees at the same time for firewood. Tops of the pines that aren’t lumber quality are cut to 35” and split for firewood at the sugar house.

How do you like that Frostbite? They look ruggedly built.

How do you like that Frostbite? They look ruggedly built.

I have no complaints, bought it before I got the excavator and wouldn’t be without it. Tractor is 55hp and the grapple wills over power it.

It's been cold here and we're burning through our stock fast. I'm going to have to go cut in 2 ft of snow. :mad3:

It's been cold here and we're burning through our stock fast. I'm going to have to go cut in 2 ft of snow. :mad3:

Well that's gonna suck! Where are you that you are at 10K elevation?
That's a nice tractor, a good friend just got the same one I think.

I got a little bit brought back to the house in the last few weeks. The first pic is the first of two loads of Oak I got from a friends back yard. The second is a load of Ash that my dad and I got yesterday.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_3479[1].JPG Views:	0 Size:	357.8 KB ID:	276708

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_3479[1].JPG Views:	0 Size:	357.8 KB ID:	276708

finished collecting my 2021 firewood last month, have about 10 cords of it split and the rest I will do over the next couple months.

Now working on 2022 :laughing:
got my tags last week and next week will start on this pile they left.
people took all the small stuff. Log on top is right at 38", big bottom one is over 48"

MET cull pile.jpg

how doesn't big straight shit like that get sawmilled?

It's like everything here gets cut fairly often, only seen a few trees in this state that would make a 4' stump, and they've never got much for straight wood on them, generally forking right away.
Maybe its because there ain't much public land here, so timber getting cut makes the landowners money so it happens more often?

ETA: for example, probably only got 10 trees over 24" in diameter (couple up off the ground) on my 40ac, there's hundreds (maybe a thousand?) of them about a foot in diameter though

Last edited:
[486 said:
;n277044]how doesn't big straight shit like that get sawmilled?

It's like everything here gets cut fairly often, only seen a few trees in this state that would make a 4' stump, and they've never got much for straight wood on them, generally forking right away.
Maybe its because there ain't much public land here, so timber getting cut makes the landowners money so it happens more often?

ETA: for example, probably only got 10 trees over 24" in diameter (couple up off the ground) on my 40ac, there's hundreds (maybe a thousand?) of them about a foot in diameter though

I would say those are all rejects from the sawmill. Probably have cracks or some other defect.

Zoom in, see the huge cracks in the middle? Do you northwesterners only burn fir trees?

[486 said:

Too short, wrong species, cull logs for rot, etc, or (and I'm not sure this is how it works in Ca), they already hit their numbers for that block and can't take it out legally, so they leave it in a pile to rot. Or proces dropped after it was cut so its not worth hauling.

20210111_110203.jpg
20210111_110152.jpg

At least my broke ass wheeling truck gets used i guess :homer:

About 1 1/2 face cord in there. All oak, some green some seasoned but still standing. Most every oak tree in our combined 60 acres has a black streak running up the trunk. If any given tree has more than 25% of its branches dead, i cut it down. Same thing every time, black streak up the trunk. I've got years of fire wood back there, some trees are up to 30".
Had my first actually scary widow maker on Sunday. Turned out fine, but it was a gigantic live oak(with black streak). Had to cut it once on the lean, then while contemplating what to do next i heard 2 branches snap and it fell straight to the ground with a very loud thud. No one even close so no injuries. It was a bitch to cut up... had to find 3 spots to cut it straight through so i could roll it with the quad. Truck is too big to maneuver around in spots like that.

^^man, there's a load on that truck I'm sure it steered easy. :laughing:

I have a bunch I need to process. I keep going back and forth about getting a processor. Or perhaps just renting one.

[486 said:

this cull pile was from a hazard tree removal project.
dead, dying or hazardous trees that were along the road were removed to prevent them from coming down in wind storms on to the road.
yes the tree has defects in it for lumber, I am guessing the big cracks down the middle where you see the white sap coming out. There is almost no rot except for a small area on the very bottom of the largest log.

Zoom in, see the huge cracks in the middle? Do you northwesterners only burn fir trees?

these are in the west, about 4000 feet elevation in the Sierra mountain range, 30 miles west of Lake Tahoe.
people burn what they can get their hands on, of course always have a preference.
this pile has 6 cords of Douglas fir, 4 of Ponderosa Pine and about 2 cords of Cedar in it.
I really only want the fir as it is the best around here of the soft woods, I will cut up the Ponderosa, and either leave it for others that cant cut it or may donate it as well as the Cedar.

Last edited:
Here is my haul. Notice I just built the vajaja shaped wood holder for the wood I bought on Christmas Day. It should get me through 2023. Fire pit rarely gets used anymore.

photo43294.jpg

Fire wood processor came this week. He did good this year. I hire this guy because he has by far the best processor on the market. Got 28 full cord cut and split in 7.25 hours. My bunker is completely full. I had awesome wood this year 16-18’ lengths of 18-22” diam oak. Absolutely perfect for the processor. Should have enough wood for 3/4 of next winter :smokin:

Pictures of the processor. The circle saw is the only way to go on these thing. It murders anything 23” and smaller. Takes maybe 2-3 secs to cut a oak round. It isn’t as fussy about dirty wood either.

4CDE2354-1468-421B-88EE-0BE1CFB7BA15.jpeg
B697C46D-1561-4783-9E0C-59F950471952.jpeg

The overhead trolley clamp thing is why this guy is so productive. He can really pound the wood into the saw. If it’s crooked he can play with the clamp a bit to spin the log.

74870765-82CD-496C-851B-9F942DE0F370.jpeg

Sorry for the poor photos it was in the shop over night to keep warm and the shop lights are not the best. I didn’t get any videos as I was replacing the head gasket on a excavator when the processor was in the yard.

Here is my concrete bunker filled full of wood. So much wood it was spilling into the stove room. My favorite time of the year just stand and chuck the wood into the stove no carrying it around.

4FBAFA69-1BBF-4327-83A3-FC2D269BFD90.jpeg

Here is what it looked like this fall when we started the stoves. It’s 16’ wide and 30’ long 12’ tall side walls of 1’ thick concrete. It allows me to pile with a 65,000pound loader :smokin:

2CC60B9E-666C-4AEE-846C-522BFCD17AFB.jpeg

Did I mention I really hate firewood lol.

Did I mention I really hate firewood lol.
I think you gotta be a special type to really get excited about fuel wood.
I can understand the sawmill nutjobs, but hacking up garbage into portable-sized heat... meh
done enough splitting and stacking by the time I was 12 to know that I hated it.

funny enough it is the sort of thing that gets youtube views with almost no effort put into the videos

ETA: you do got me thinking of making a covered 'commodity bunker' sorta deal for my wood

Last edited:
Put up 8 cord at the camp late summer so I could spend more time hunting rather than working. Click image for larger version Name:	wood1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	283095 Click image for larger version Name:	wood2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	301.6 KB ID:	283096

wood3.jpg

this cull pile was from a hazard tree removal project.
dead, dying or hazardous trees that were along the road were removed to prevent them from coming down in wind storms on to the road.
yes the tree has defects in it for lumber, I am guessing the big cracks down the middle where you see the white sap coming out. There is almost no rot except for a small area on the very bottom of the largest log.

these are in the west, about 4000 feet elevation in the Sierra mountain range, 30 miles west of Lake Tahoe.
people burn what they can get their hands on, of course always have a preference.
this pile has 6 cords of Douglas fir, 4 of Ponderosa Pine and about 2 cords of Cedar in it.
I really only want the fir as it is the best around here of the soft woods, I will cut up the Ponderosa, and either leave it for others that cant cut it or may donate it as well as the Cedar.

Can you get the cedar milled into live edge boards?

Hemlock is our main firewood tree up here. They seem to all fall over from heart rot. Now the maples are all dying in the wild as well. So I have a ton of down maple i need to get drug out and have a ton of hemlock I am going to mill into beams because lumber prices are fucking stupid for some of the projects I want to do.

I try to keep at least 12 cords on hand, which is 3 years worth.

20210130_142615_1.jpg

A cord of black locusts just for the cold snaps

20210130_142503.jpg

Wood rack in the basement - this is 2-3 weeks worth when loaded up

20210131_110052.jpg

Can you get the cedar milled into live edge boards?

not anymore, its cut and split sitting under snow in the yard right now :laughing:

its funny that many Forests have a limits on how long the "firewood" you remove is. several in the state have an 8 foot maximum length. I am sure it is to keep people from using firewood permits and getting lumber instead

this Forest does not have that limit (at least written)
I have a 24 foot clear 22" dimeter log I am going to see about removing from the forest
take it to a guy that has a band mill and see about making wood for picnic tables.
tops and benches would be made from 3 x 12 so they survive under 12 feet of snow.
put them back in the Forest and put them at scenic remote sites. did one many years ago it still holding up well today

Top Back Refresh