What's new

2020 Snake Thread.

My Mother sent me this photo a few weeks ago, from Louisiana

snake.jpg

My dog found this bastard last week. Relocated him over the fence. :flipoff2:

SmuCbNTl.jpg

Well they came back for revenge. :mad3:

I was walking around the house last night with the dog and I heard a little rattle. I said wtf was that. I got out my flashlight and looked in the flower beds, the rattling continued and got more aggressive. I found a 1' long copperhead pissed off. Turns out baby copperheads make a rattle sound with their tail, I didn't know that. I yelled at a buddy to grab something to kill it with and I never took my eyes off it.

While I'm killing this one, the dog is wandering around the yard behind me. 5 minutes later I look at her and she's got a paw in the air. I thought maybe she stepped on a pine cone, but I couldn't find a wound. 15 minutes later she started to swell and we hauled ass to the vet. She got bit twice, likely by another baby. The vet said it's a myth that baby vipers are "worse" than adults. She said the volume of the venom is the real threat.

The dog should be ok after a few days.

KLKEqm8l.jpg

Was working on this before it all went kaput.

Working near a den this summer and they are off the charts.

Everytime I find one I'll post it up.

For the record...I catch em and release them a few miles out on the same property. Well away from any goings on as so they can continue on with their business.

Are you a snake catching dude, or just run into them incidentally?

Where I live, there are almost no poisonous snakes. I have only seen Blue Racers and Garter snakes around. We always try to keep them out of harm's way.

Apparently there are rattlers around, and I know a couple people who have claimed to run into them, I've never seen one.

Well they came back for revenge. :mad3:

I was walking around the house last night with the dog and I heard a little rattle. I said wtf was that. I got out my flashlight and looked in the flower beds, the rattling continued and got more aggressive. I found a 1' long copperhead pissed off. Turns out baby copperheads make a rattle sound with their tail, I didn't know that. I yelled at a buddy to grab something to kill it with and I never took my eyes off it.

While I'm killing this one, the dog is wandering around the yard behind me. 5 minutes later I look at her and she's got a paw in the air. I thought maybe she stepped on a pine cone, but I couldn't find a wound. 15 minutes later she started to swell and we hauled ass to the vet. She got bit twice, likely by another baby. The vet said it's a myth that baby vipers are "worse" than adults. She said the volume of the venom is the real threat.

The dog should be ok after a few days.

KLKEqm8l.jpg

Juveniles dump their entire load. It’s not a myth according to this guy

First snake we’ve seen this year. We usually get Gopher snakes, King snakes, Garter snakes, and recently Yellow belly racers (new to me). I haven’t seen a Rattler on the property yet, but I know they’re out here

42EC25B8-92F1-4019-9474-D6EA862AC68F.jpeg

Top Back Refresh