What's new

2008 Envoy sas build

So far I've seen a handful of finished Envoys. One was a dana 44 swap that is actually at a carlot down the way from me and I've seen two on full coilovers that I believe are in Canada or Alaska maybe.

Never seen an Enclave but that wouldn't be awful either. I considered a Liberty and a Durango as well but figured the engine swap would slow It down considerably

Didn't Josh Gamill build one of these, or something very similar in the "Before Times"?

Envoy?
Enclave?

He had a pretty rad LWB 67-72 Chevy truck with big meats but needed a way to haul family.
Cool project1
Was that his name? Yes, when I first saw this thread I assumed it was an update or transfer of that here. The 67-72 was blue with white cage? Loved that build.

This is sick, I like the not-typical platform build. What’s your typical planned wheeling terrain for this?

Everywhere it can drive to and from lol.

It's not a hard core rock bouncer but I'd like to be able to drive it from STL to Moab and back ideally.

I've always considered Ultimate Adventure as the ultimate test of a builder and a rig. So like a diet UA rig. I'm not running full lockers yet (truetracks front and rear) but I like their concept.

Adding the hydro bumps and other stuff is more to keep up with SxS I ride with so I'm not a trail slug

Not my pics or rig but stolen from ig.

This one
Screenshot_20240704_141819_Instagram.jpg

Another
Screenshot_20240704_141808_Instagram.jpg
the old blue truck
Screenshot_20240704_141842_Instagram.jpg

Thats actually the one that started me on the whole thing lol. I forgot the Axeltechs.

Tonight I was shopping for front 4.88s and an install kit and noticed USA Standards now cost more than Yukons for the 05+

Ordering some TMR adjustable limit strap mounts since they are convenient and I really need limits on it since it has no shocks and the coils get unhappy when I lift it.

My 4.88s and TMR adjustable limit strap mounts showed up.

Still waiting on driveshaft tubing, a 1410 dana yoke and the factory replacement Behr fan clutch (it gives alot of people grief but I'm a believer in those folks used cheap ones)

Hoping today the tubing and yoke arrives so I can finish those up and actually drive it around vs yanking it around with the fork lift

Attachments

• 20240713_090702.jpg
    20240713_090702.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240711_180118.jpg
    20240711_180118.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
Cool and unusual crawler/do everything build 👍
That was the plan honestly. Trailer maintenance and plate cost has skyrocketed in IL

And after watching a whole bunch of JKU guys drive across country for the Easter Safari I decided thats the way to go

that was part of it for sure. I still have my 1 ton swapped suburban with a 203 205, Gen 6 496 with LS coils and ignition and stuff but it's to heavy for actual use.

Works great for discombobulating someone stuck but thats about it. Parts are getting hard to find and people want gold for square bodies and in all reality the trucks are absolute junk lol

That was the plan honestly. Trailer maintenance and plate cost has skyrocketed in IL

And after watching a whole bunch of JKU guys drive across country for the Easter Safari I decided thats the way to go
Very cool. Stumbled across one already fixed up that’s for sale up on Michigan if you wanted to own of these :lmao:

IMG_2499.png

Very cool. Stumbled across one already fixed up that’s for sale up on Michigan if you wanted to own of these :lmao:

IMG_2499.png
Lol I commented on that post.

I've seen a few posts with that build on Trailvoy. Pretty neat setup. He runs around with another one that's black and they wheel pretty often

This wasn't my ideal spot but it will work since I won't be running a front swaybar anyways. These things are fairly neat. Some adjustability is nice for me since I may decide to throw another 1" into it later for some reason or another. There's no where good behind the shock, and didn't want to put them on the inside of the frame cuz it's pretty tight in there.

Got my driveshaft length figured out and will hopefully cut it tonight and fit it together and see how it does tomorrow before I fully weld both ends. I'm just going to run 3.5x.082 wall and see how it fairs. It's a shorter driveshaft (40" of tubing + 1410s) so I'm not super concerned with it dragging and getting doinked but it may in the future, we will see.

Got the new fan clutch installed, measured my hydroboost to steering box line length so I can have one made at Oreillys this weekend if I get time.

Also decided to switch to the TBSS pulley for the PS pump. It's smaller diamter, which will clear the ecm better, and I'd prefer a stock tbss belt vs some random one I have to keep the box in the glove box for incase. I just need to make sure the pumps are the same snout length.

Decided to reorder another WJ pitman arm and this time leave it at 6.25" instead of 5.75" im 98% sure that will give me the clearance I need to fit the tiered and drag link plus take use of those 1550s.

Attachments

• 20240713_170651.jpg
    20240713_170651.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
Got this cut to length and beat together. Going to fit it tomorrow then weld it afterwards before I assume I measured it right

Attachments

• 125570.jpeg
    125570.jpeg
    962 KB · Views: 4
no lift this weekend cuz I'm to lazy to shuffle stuff around.

Driveshaft is possibly a touch to long but I'll find out here shortly. It will probably be fine because I'm pretty sure it wouldn't touch till it extended till the coils fell out.

Got up at 530 to try and beat the heat, got hot here in IL the last week.

Attachments

• 20240714_080725.jpg
    20240714_080725.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 7
Got the rear limit strap mounts tacked on after it cooled down a bit.

I'll cycle the suspension next weekend hopefully when the lifts are empty, all 7 of them had vehicles on them this weekend so that slowed me down a bit.

Attachments

• 1000008392.jpg
    1000008392.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
I've been looking for a bumper since the radiator hangs so low and I've destroyed my front frame horns with the fork lift lol

I'm leaning towards a MDS one because the guy put alot of work into making them and that was the only one I had seen that look reasonable on the Envoy front end because I'm not a TBSS front end fan.

That one don't look bad either, who made it?

Holy fuck, I never knew an envoy can be a capable crawler.

1. those bumpers look :smokin:

2. That old blue truck is :smokin: too.

Tore apart this Montero Sport box to see how it works.

The Sport uses 3 bolts to mount it, where the regular Montero uses 4 bolts. Fortunately two of the four bolts are the same, so I can fix that prob.

This box is reached, splines are rotted and it's a mess, but I want to take some measurements with this box before my new 4 bolt box shows up this week.

I decided not to put this off. The box is the only part left I haven't rebuilt and I just know it will leak and irritate me. Plus I want to add assist plugs so I can add that in the fall after it's moving and stuff.

Attachments

• 20240722_165549.jpg
    20240722_165549.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
found this PSC ram and mounting hardware for cheap so picked it up.

Hoping the new Montero box shows up tomorrow so I can finish the steering entirely and have it drivable. I'm beating the core support to death.

Attachments

• 20240725_191154.jpg
    20240725_191154.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
Got it on the lift and started mocking up the ram.

Best place so far seems to be tucked into the track bar bracket extending towards the diff. I didn't have time to tack it on and cycle the suspension yet but hopefully I'll get to that this weekend.

Also got a TBSS pulley since its smaller than the silverado pulley and leaves more room for the ecm, fittings for the box that doesn't show up till Monday and the trans cooler. Should work fine combined with the reservoir to keep the ps pump cooled down and I trust them more than plate coolers at the higher psi that it sees.

Attachments

• 20240726_181336.jpg
    20240726_181336.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20240726_185113.jpg
    20240726_185113.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
Tbss pulley doesn't fit depth wise. I guessed pumps shared same shaft depth since it shares accessories bracket but that is not the case

Tried for a few hours to keep tierod in the upper hole of the knuckle but it absolutely will not fit with assist. Prob ruined another drag link tube trying to fit it all up there.

Dumb in hindsight since it's already inches higher than stock but admittedly I'm hard headed and it fits that way on a JKU. Those few inches of frame difference are finally starting to add up

Attachments

• 20240727_084104.jpg
    20240727_084104.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240727_074949.jpg
    20240727_074949.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240727_090521.jpg
    20240727_090521.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240727_092412.jpg
    20240727_092412.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
Got it all fit up finally. The cooler tucks nicely on the high side of the crossmember

I did see that my F350 vacuum disconnect switch won't fit with the radiator hose installed now so I'll move that.

Doesn't look bad. Moving everything around lessened most interference but made it to where I have to trim crossmember more now that drag link is moved forward so much.

Attachments

• 20240727_084104.jpg
    20240727_084104.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 7
Top Back Refresh