- Aug 7, 2020
- Member Number
I bought a 2004 CCSB Sierra 2500hd From the original owner in August 2019. First thing I did was injectors and all new fuel system as well as add a lift pump because LB7’s lose their lives to fuel issues. The truck had 309,xxx at this point and the Adventure began.
First was a WFO solid axle swap using a 2005+ SD 60. I used fox 2.5 coil overs and a shackle reversal in the rear, setting the truck on 37x12.5x17 Toyo MTs. I also installed full length .250 wall sliders and they have been used almost daily. It was tuned to 5” of lift over stock at this point. It was awesome and fun for about 1 month. The truck was a daily and I used it Offroad almost everyday.
Since that point the truck has continued to evolve regularly due to trail casualties or short falls presenting themselves. Next came dirt kings shackles and mounts for the rear leafs and new progressive springs. Then I made new rear shock mounts, upper and lower as well as changing to fox 2.5 triple bypasses. I then stepped up to 39x12.5 kanati mud hogs mounted on battleborn bootlegger headlocks and regraded to 4.56’s. The rear got a true trac and the front got an Eaton e locker. Added front and rear 12k winches, both tied to the frame with 1/4” plate. Built custom bumpers front and rear to provide body protection in the trails.
The 263xhd was then pulled and replaced with a 273 and new 1410 driveshafts made and installed. After fighting with driveline limitations in the 263. Skid plate added under the transfer case and the trails continued. After breaking three sets of hubs, one of which cost me a hub bearing, I swapped to weaver fab drive slugs. At that point the SD60 got f550 shafts as well as a new custom steering setup. It’s a hybrid histeer . I bent three tie rods along the way, two of which were 1.5x.250 wall dom, until I got to where I am now. This also includes adding a new redhead hd gear box and PSC pump as well as 1.5x8” PSC ram. The truck has successfully run the Rubicon, Deer Valley, and a number of other difficult, tight, yet beautiful trails without issue at a 156” wheelbase and much longer total length.
The truck has had every cooler and line upgraded for better and easier flow of all fluids as well as better filtration. I am presently at 323,xxx and the truck is down for another major upgrade. The rear frame was cut off at the cab and a new one is being built from 2x6 .188 wall. Rear suspension is changing to 4 link utilizing lower trailing arms. I am reusing the fox bypass and adding a fox dsc 2.5” coil over to each side along with 2x2.75 bump stops. I will be building a tube bed and swapping to a fuel safe 50 gallon enduro truck tank. The 11.5 AAM will be fully trussed as well. An issue I ran into and Just resolved is the placement and size of the factory AAM calipers.
Being the calipers are a very large dual piston caliper, that is mounted on the front of the axle, they prevent the lower link mounts from getting the proper separation to reach an ideal geometry to avoid a pan hard bar. The solution was to swap to an aftermarket Wilwood brake system that utilized a new bracket and allows me to put the caliper on the rear of the axle. The system also uses a wilwood rotor that requires a new machined billet hub. It is a direct bolt on and save 130 lbs, 70 of which is rolling mass. I am also pulling the 273 and replacing it with a behemoth strong box and colossus billet 205. This system clocked as I intend, along with the new trans crossmember and front radius arm mounts will allow me to get to a flat belly which will gain me 3” of ground clearance under the truck.
I will post more pictures later. Feel free to follow the build on instagram under @shaunylyons