What's new

2004 LB7 Evolution

Shaunlyo

Member Number
Click image for larger version  Name:	E759D905-2D05-4BB0-8E19-EA208639ED6E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	488.7 KB ID:	95401
Click image for larger version  Name:	3CAD4618-F990-48F5-B615-38CAC4FCBBFE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	470.9 KB ID:	95402
Click image for larger version  Name:	3C7DDDC4-E52D-47F2-8BC9-C39B408D214E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	401.7 KB ID:	95403
Just heard about this new site and many years ago I was a big advocate for pirate4x4. Looking forward to sharing my build and seeing what others are building.

I bought a 2004 CCSB Sierra 2500hd From the original owner in August 2019. First thing I did was injectors and all new fuel system as well as add a lift pump because LB7’s lose their lives to fuel issues. The truck had 309,xxx at this point and the Adventure began.

First was a WFO solid axle swap using a 2005+ SD 60. I used fox 2.5 coil overs and a shackle reversal in the rear, setting the truck on 37x12.5x17 Toyo MTs. I also installed full length .250 wall sliders and they have been used almost daily. It was tuned to 5” of lift over stock at this point. It was awesome and fun for about 1 month. The truck was a daily and I used it Offroad almost everyday.

Since that point the truck has continued to evolve regularly due to trail casualties or short falls presenting themselves. Next came dirt kings shackles and mounts for the rear leafs and new progressive springs. Then I made new rear shock mounts, upper and lower as well as changing to fox 2.5 triple bypasses. I then stepped up to 39x12.5 kanati mud hogs mounted on battleborn bootlegger headlocks and regraded to 4.56’s. The rear got a true trac and the front got an Eaton e locker. Added front and rear 12k winches, both tied to the frame with 1/4” plate. Built custom bumpers front and rear to provide body protection in the trails.

The 263xhd was then pulled and replaced with a 273 and new 1410 driveshafts made and installed. After fighting with driveline limitations in the 263. Skid plate added under the transfer case and the trails continued. After breaking three sets of hubs, one of which cost me a hub bearing, I swapped to weaver fab drive slugs. At that point the SD60 got f550 shafts as well as a new custom steering setup. It’s a hybrid histeer . I bent three tie rods along the way, two of which were 1.5x.250 wall dom, until I got to where I am now. This also includes adding a new redhead hd gear box and PSC pump as well as 1.5x8” PSC ram. The truck has successfully run the Rubicon, Deer Valley, and a number of other difficult, tight, yet beautiful trails without issue at a 156” wheelbase and much longer total length.

The truck has had every cooler and line upgraded for better and easier flow of all fluids as well as better filtration. I am presently at 323,xxx and the truck is down for another major upgrade. The rear frame was cut off at the cab and a new one is being built from 2x6 .188 wall. Rear suspension is changing to 4 link utilizing lower trailing arms. I am reusing the fox bypass and adding a fox dsc 2.5” coil over to each side along with 2x2.75 bump stops. I will be building a tube bed and swapping to a fuel safe 50 gallon enduro truck tank. The 11.5 AAM will be fully trussed as well. An issue I ran into and Just resolved is the placement and size of the factory AAM calipers.

Being the calipers are a very large dual piston caliper, that is mounted on the front of the axle, they prevent the lower link mounts from getting the proper separation to reach an ideal geometry to avoid a pan hard bar. The solution was to swap to an aftermarket Wilwood brake system that utilized a new bracket and allows me to put the caliper on the rear of the axle. The system also uses a wilwood rotor that requires a new machined billet hub. It is a direct bolt on and save 130 lbs, 70 of which is rolling mass. I am also pulling the 273 and replacing it with a behemoth strong box and colossus billet 205. This system clocked as I intend, along with the new trans crossmember and front radius arm mounts will allow me to get to a flat belly which will gain me 3” of ground clearance under the truck.

I will post more pictures later. Feel free to follow the build on instagram under @shaunylyons

Last edited:
Since I want to maintain the factory crossmember under the cab I should be about 148. The previous was 156 due to moving the 60 forward 2” and the AAM back 1”.

Very cool, I have an 05 ccsb on tow rig duty, but could see a sas someday

I also may be putting a sd60 in a gm van this fall ave had some questions

did you redrill the front to 8x6.5?

why did you stick with the aam over a matching ford rear?

did you make any attempt at putting speed sensors in the ford diff?

welcome to irate4x4, thanks for bringing the tech:smokin:

Being a crew cab I could only get to 145 at the lowest and not look dumb. I didn’t want the tires right next to the cab. It’s not aesthetically pleasing to me and I intend to step up to 42’s. Remember this is still a daily driver that sees a lot of highway time in the Sierra mountain range and tows a boat.

I stuck with the AAM because I intended this to be a tow rig and build a wheeling rig and they would have interchangeable parts and wheels/tires. Then remembered I didn’t want a trailer rig or another vehicle I only use for certain trails. By then I had already invested enough in the AAM 11.5. Plus it is an extremely strong axle, just sadly no e locker.

I am using the SD60 speed sensors with an adaptor from WFO to the factory gm wiring.

The front uses SD60 hub bearing assemblies machines and redrilled to 8x6.5. Branik, WFO, and many other places sell them.

Right on, any tuning needed to make the sensors, computers happy?

what length coil overs in the front?

Fuck Yes! I like where this is going. It’s giving me evil thoughts about my LBZ and continuing down this path...

No issues with the front axle and computers outside of the ABS adapter from WFO. The 273 used the same plugs as the 263xhd as it was modified by transfer case direct. That tcase is coming out though.

the fronts are 10” right now. I want to step up but I am at the Minimum height required to get 5” uptravel and I don’t want to be any taller. At full stuff I am less than an inch from frame meeting axle. I will be adding 2”x2.75” fox bumps to the front too.

In order to put on a 12” coilover I will need to raise my upper mount 1” so I don’t lift the truck at all. Not ready to cut that apart and redo. BUT MAYBE in the future it will get a new front half similar to the back half...

Did you wheel this through the Con with the Merrick’s Garage dude?

Yes I ran rubicon with James Merrick in June. It was a great group of guys and Some awesome rigs.

And yes it has still done the Duramax waddle twice since the solid axle swap. They just seem to enjoy the pain it causes their owners.

The WFO kit is awesome but I am redoing the crossmember/frame mounts. I want a flat belly and that kit hangs down a little more than desired. However it only effects me in the rocks so if you aren’t playing in big rocks it is a phenomenal kit!

Last edited:
I am not complaining about the kit at all. It is beautiful and works great. I am running 10” of travel. I used the 6” kit and lowered the truck to 5”. As I said I only run into issues as I play in big rocks more.

Yes I ran rubicon with James Merrick in June. Was a lot of awesome rigs.

And yes it has still don’t the Duramax waddle twice since the solid axle swap. They just seem to enjoy the pain it causes their owners.

The WFO kit is awesome but I am taking mine out and going a different route. I want a flat belly and that kit hangs down a little more than desired. However it only effects me in the rocks so if you aren’t playing in big rocks it is a phenomenal kit!

You’re going to remove the entire kit?

What about modifying or raising the crossmember and build a belly/skid plate off that?

I should be more specific on that. At this moment I am redoing the crossmember and frame mounts. This will lift the crossmember approximately 3” for more under belly clearance and a flat belly as well as raise the arm attachment point 1”. At a later point I want to redo the frame side coil over mount too. I will be stripping the axle for this and redoing the link setup on it first. Then I would like to build a new front frame section, similar to the rear, in order to gain more up travel. Due to the 3/4 ton frame design and the size of the SD60 axle mounts. That portion of the build is still pending in my head as i haven’t ironed it all out yet and I want to see how the back half comes out.

Truck is bad ass!

Good luck with behemoth... you might get all of your parts within 6 months of paying for them, you also might not get them ever...

Thank you.

I have heard that but I talked to Jacob and wanted to give him a chance. The product is awesome and exactly what I need. Hopefully I don’t end up in that situation like others did. It is supposed to be delivered the beginning of September.

I should be more specific on that. At this moment I am redoing the crossmember and frame mounts. This will lift the crossmember approximately 3” for more under belly clearance and a flat belly as well as raise the arm attachment point 1”. At a later point I want to redo the frame side coil over mount too. I will be stripping the axle for this and redoing the link setup on it first. Then I would like to build a new front frame section, similar to the rear, in order to gain more up travel. Due to the 3/4 ton frame design and the size of the SD60 axle mounts. That portion of the build is still pending in my head as i haven’t ironed it all out yet and I want to see how the back half comes out.

Gotcha. Definitely interested in the progression of your truck.

Thank you.

I have heard that but I talked to Jacob and wanted to give him a chance. The product is awesome and exactly what I need. Hopefully I don’t end up in that situation like others did. It is supposed to be delivered the beginning of September.

I also talked to him over the phone... very reassuring dude. That's on purpose, he'll tell you about machine delays, get you a shipper, but not ship anything for months, then when he does ship it, there will only be a few pieces, not everything... ask me how i know:mad3:I texted and emailed him twice to three times a week for 2 months to get all my parts. It was always someone else's fault.

Killer truck, I’m glad I found it here. I’ve been following along on Instagram for a while now. Good luck with that shit bag Jacob at Behemoth. He took my money, sat on it for quite some time and then delivered half a of a case. After wasting my time and going around in circles with me I finally got my money back and went straight to NWF for an ecobox then paired it with a 271F. I can only hope you have better luck giving him a chance than I did. I’m very excited to see how the tube bed turns out since that’s the way I have been planning to do my truck.

Hopefully he doesn’t screw me. Guess we will know in another 2-3 weeks. If he does I will go with ORD or NWF and let Navy Federal go after him for the money. I wanted to give him a chance because he makes a great product and I hadn’t heard any of the bad run ins with him yet. Hopefully he has turned around and can give people a great product on a good timeline.

I do like how you're going at building the back half. Did you consider shock packaging when you built it? From my time looking at the neck half of my truck, i can see I'll have issues unless i build the back skinnier than it is stock. If you're going taking arm with shocks mounted on that, never mind...

It is designed around trailing arms. Fox 2.5 triple bypass and 2.5 coilover on each side. Hoping to have the 4 link in this week, assuming my truss comes in.

Well, if it's not, you can only blame one person:flipoff2::lmao:
Also, you're making me think i should put my build up here... it's already in 2 other places, one i will not keep maintained, the other has very little traffic, but i will maintain it there. I guess one more can't hurt, right:rolleyes:

I have mine here and Instagram, that’s about it.

Top Back Refresh