What's new

CO 2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4, Northern CO

Nvr-enough

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
7800' Morrison, CO
2004 (04.5) Ram 2500 with the 5.9 H.O. Cummins (325hp/600tq). 235,xxx miles.

In interest of full disclosure, I traded a land cruiser for this thing a few weeks back. Figured I'd drive it for a bit and see what all the cummins fanboy stuff is about. Don't know anything about it other than what I've done to it do far. Bought it with the intention of flipping it.

Truck fires right up, even on cold mornings. Just installed a new turbo and did an oil change in the last 200 miles. Turbo had a lot of play and would make noise under boost, and passed lot of oil into the exhaust, but I replaced it before total failure. Engine makes good power and boost with fresh turbo. No check engine lights. Exhaust has been chopped right where the muffler should be, thanks to a P.O.. Still has a Cat. Slightly cobby idle until warm, been running some diesel treatment in fuel to see if it improves, still on first tank since buying the truck.

Auto trans, I was told it's been gone through, no clue and no way to prove it. Fluid looks and smells good. It shifts perfect when cold, holds shifts when warm (I know it's a mechanical trans, probably needs TV cable adjusted, bands adjusted, etc, possibly some seals in VB replaced-- all this from info I've found online, not a dodge/cummins guy).

4x4 with manual shift T-case. Shifts between ranges fine. Double cardan joint in front shaft is worn out, needs rebuilt or shaft replaced.

Steering leaves something to be desired, wanders some at speed. Maybe just dodge stuff, idk. :flipoff2: but it has a leak, I believe it's coming from the box.

Stops decent enough. ABS worked during a snowy drive this weekend. Brake warning light is on dash (as-if parking brake is engaged, but it's not), have not investigated why.

Decent interior. No major rips or tears. Some stains. A good detail would go a long way and probably would make the thing pretty damn respectable inside. Power drivers seat. Touch screen radio with carplay and back-up camera.

I stuck some new mirrors and headlights on it to freshen it up. Body overall is decent, not rusty like many third gen cummins. It is dinged up and been used as a truck. Pass lower bedside has a decent spot in it. Drivers fender has been repainted (poorly). But overall it's not a bad looking 20 footer. Has some awful bro wheels with a flaking off finish on kenda tires with half decent tread.

All in all, could be a great truck for someone. I don't need two different 3/4 ton trucks.

$11,000 OBO. Seems like the lower end of third gen cummins pricing based on local trucks for sale here in Northern CO. Make me an offer.

Not looking for trades really but you never know what's out there. Maybe a rust free LJ wrangler? :laughing:

20231117_110258.jpg

20231117_110239.jpg

20231117_110250.jpg

20231117_110307.jpg

20231117_110344.jpg

20231117_110427.jpg

Last edited:
Price drop- $11k

Just replaced the fuel filter and air filter.

Have my OBS back up and going, want to get this thing gone to free up some funds, some one needs it!

Price Drop- $9K. The cheapest running and driving third gen cummins I've seen in my area on FBMP, by a pretty large margin.

Last edited:
Me either.. I took it on trade looking at other third gen cummins prices on fbmp thinking that it would be easy to sell off for a little profit if I decided I didn't want to keep it. And now even at $9k I'm barely getting any bites. I get that its not the prettiest truck out there, but for a 3/4 ton diesel truck, with 'average' miles for a 20 year old truck you would think people would be jumping on it at that price.

Well, just my luck. Drove this this over to drop something at my storage unit and it started smoking like a freight train while idling on my way out to the gate. Maybe (hopefully?) just an injector stuck open? No check engine light (that I noticed). Pulled intake boot, no signs of failed turbo. Parked it and left it there to think about its choices.. not sure what to think or do with it at this point. No real shop to work on it in here, my tools are 1.5 hours away at my race shop.

Someone come make this thing go away.

New price, as-is $5k(?), maybe needs an engine, maybe an injector, maybe both, I just want to try to get something back outta it. I've learned my lesson that cummins/dodge really are the biggest pile of shit trucks on the road and I hope to never ride in one again:flipoff2:

Well, just my luck. Drove this this over to drop something at my storage unit and it started smoking like a freight train while idling on my way out to the gate. Maybe (hopefully?) just an injector stuck open? No check engine light (that I noticed). Pulled intake boot, no signs of failed turbo. Parked it and left it there to think about its choices.. not sure what to think or do with it at this point. No real shop to work on it in here, my tools are 1.5 hours away at my race shop.

Someone come make this thing go away.

New price, as-is $5k(?), maybe needs an engine, maybe an injector, maybe both, I just want to try to get something back outta it. I've learned my lesson that cummins/dodge really are the biggest pile of shit trucks on the road and I hope to never ride in one again:flipoff2:
Projectjunkie

Judging by the mexican rims and headlights its no surprise the thing is smoking. Put some stock wheels and headlights on and trash that steering wheel cover as well:flipoff2:

Weird, I've never seen swapping wheels make a truck stop smoking :flipoff2:

I absolutely agree, the autozone wheels and steering wheel cover are doing it no favors. Headlights were the first cheap Amazon specials I came across, if you think those are bad...:laughing:

The idea wasn't to spend a bunch of time and money on a cheap truck, and that's why I had it priced a few grand under what I thought was market value so anyone that wanted it had plenty of room to church it up to their liking. I needed a truck for a couple weeks while mine was down for service, figured it would be easier to move along the 'Holy grail of diesels, the 5.9 cummins' at a bargain price, but sometimes the world has different plans :laughing:

Thats my bet too based off of the symptoms. I see why so many dodge guys wanted the manual trans back in this era, I didn't know another auto could make the E4OD in my f250 sound so appealing. :laughing:

Have it listed locally at $7k stating that the truck started smoking. Seems to have a bunch of interest, so we will see what happens when I get back to town in a couple days.

Someone, anyone come give me something for this thing. On the road a shitload the next couple months with no time to deal with this thing. Want it out of my storage unit to get my nice 7.3 back indoors and outta the weather.

Could be a good starting point for a towrig build.. Maybe dump the body and use chassis/drivetrain for a retro build? Possibilities are endless. :laughing:

Reactions: DMG
If its
You list it on ksl?
Currently just on FBMP. Need to consider some other places for sure. Just been busy and trying to not spend much of my time on this thing :homer:

What state will this break down in if I try to drive it to Michigan?
If it is hung open injector.. probably CO. But I'm in for the GCC thread for the trip :smokin::laughing:

What state will this break down in if I try to drive it to Michigan?

Edit: I received estimates ranging $1200-2100 open trailer shipping to Ann Arbor. <$1600 if it can be driven on/off. >$1600 winched.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ebs
She gone, finally. Let it go cheap, but the guy that bought is going to go through it, clean it up and give it to a senior disabled vet buddy of his. :usa:

Reactions: DMG
I just couldn't swing the drive. Hopefully it gets good use by someone.

It'll be listed on Facebook for $5k more next week :laughing:
Ehh, he told me the plan after we had a deal. He showed up with cash, a scan tool and a trailer. He knew what he was getting into unlike all the fbmp mouth breathers that kept showing up 'oh it smokes..' uhhh yea thats why it says that in the listing.:homer: I was struggling to find any serious buyers with it listed at 5k.

I just couldn't swing the drive. Hopefully it gets good use by someone.

I wish I wasn't balls deep into race-prep season or I would have tried to meet ya half way or something. But it seems like it's off to a good home.

Top Back Refresh