What's new

2002, F250 hub bearing, noise after replacement

blthomas

Rusty junk hunter
Member Number
Loc
Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns
I hate to ask for help, but I'm a shade tree at best, and realize there is knowledge here I don't have.

Bearing was worn, so I ordered a Timken replacement. I feel like this is a straight forward repair, this is my 3rd super duty and doing the bearings over the years.

I've got a low-key audible noise, grinding or rubbing, that appears rotational. Coming from left front (I replaced both sides at the same time).

I've jacked up the truck, tire free spins well with no noise other than very slide brake pad drag. When applying brakes, my noise is still there. All slide pins and pad seats are lubricated.

I tore it back down, looking for obvious abrasions to stub shaft, or damage to the needle bearings in back of hub. No trauma, I can run my fingernail across stub shaft surface, and there's no ridges or deformation. Needle bearing appears new.

Stub shaft is tight with no flop. I started to question the thrust washer positioning, couldn't remember on the other trucks, and this is the 1st time I've open this one up.

Behind the hub in the knuckle, is one large washer, over the shaft.

Slide hub on, there is a round, then hex thrust, then round washer over the shaft, I feel like that's correct as the snap ring fits perfect when this is all in place.

Nothing is fighting me. The truck goes down the road smooth as silk other than this noise. I checked dust shield for rub, no dice.

This truck has manual hubs.

Starting to wonder is my Timken hub is shit from factory (find hard to believe), or am I missing something very obvious with my noob glasses.

Two shitty pics attached with most of the grease wiped off.

For clarity, no noise spinning freely, noise with weight of truck, no clicking, mild grind/rub noise, in rotating fashion. Mucho thanks for any insight.

Off to tear it all down yet again.

Attachments

• received_922050905624590.jpeg
    received_922050905624590.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 102
  • received_1232467104340458.jpeg
    received_1232467104340458.jpeg
    322.5 KB · Views: 12
Locked them in, drove it, I didn't hear any major difference. I suppose it could be quieter, but of course with the headers and y pipe fix, its noticeably louder under acceleration and cruising.

This noise is almost imperceptible. Almost. Everything still looks great on the stub, bearing itself, knuckle, checked diff fluid, no glitter. And I don't really hear it until I'm at 20mph or higher.

I put it back together and drove it, I still feel like its there. Truck went to the landfill smooth as silk. :homer: I wouldn't worry about it but I got some trips planned with the truck camper on this spring.

I did think about getting new needle bearings from Napa and knocking them in, grasping at straws, but its cheap. I hate not diagnosing shit though, and throwing parts. :shaking:

Have you swapped/rotated the tires to see if the noise follows?

I've fixed a GM hub for a friend where that was the noise. Chicken or egg if that was the problem all along or if a bad hub/alignment caused weird tire wear and noise.

Dust shield
Both sides in mediocre shape but not contacting anything there weren't supposed to.
Have you swapped/rotated the tires to see if the noise follows?

I've fixed a GM hub for a friend where that was the noise. Chicken or egg if that was the problem all along or if a bad hub/alignment caused weird tire wear and noise.

Not the 1st time when I tore it down (last weekend before this post), I did however rotate yesterday. Noise still present.

I'm wishing I had swapped bearings side to side yesterday.

I took both sides apart convinced I had fucked up the drivers side, using the quiet passenger side as an example. Regreased it all, put it back together without swapping sides. :homer:

Just got back from my dinner at my daughters house. Rode with no radio, noise is barely there. Its got to be the seal in the knuckle that the shaft rotates in, or the bearing itself. I'd almost swear i can feel it. Dunno what else it could be.

Shaft has zero flop, both knuckle and axle seal appear great shape. Ponderous. :laughing:

When you pull the wss you/i bend the tab up to access them.

Theu are kinf of a pita to get back down flat enough to not rub the rotor.

Dust shield
could be this or something similar.

I recently changed a stuck caliper on the rear of my lx470 and it immediately started making noise. I thought the clips that hold the pad in the caliper were hitting the rotor.

ended up being that stupid shield thing that is on the caliper itself. was hitting the inside of the wheel and even left a slight mark, but was making noise. removed the shield and no more noise.

Yea I thought for sure it was a caliper dragging, or the dust shield. I can't see either side touching or marks on rotor. Caliper slides and pad clips all were cleaned and lubed.

I really find it hard go believe a new bearing would act up, there's no noise unless truck weight is on it, and honestly I could swear I feel it too. Of course that makes me think its bearing, my last one made lots of noise spinning while up on the jack, this is smooth and quiet.

I was going to tear it down one more time, and was really hoping some wear would present itself on a stub shaft or something. I thought I could swap bearings side to side and see if the noise migrates.

Maybe ill go ahead and fully remove the shields too. Can't hurt.

But weather was shit and I worked on my car trailer and wifes TJ all weekend.

I think swapping side to side will be last idea before I warranty what I think is a bad bearing out, assuming stub shafts are good looking and nothing obvious presents itself.

I certainly appreciate all the help with what is a mundane issue. :beer:

Not sure if it's been asked yet...... Is the big seal on the stub shaft that is used for the auto locking hub dealio damaged and rubbing on itself? When I worked for Ford many years ago we solved more than one rotational noise in the front SD axles by replacing those.

You know I'm reading threads on Ford Truck Enthusiasts and Oilburners, and a thread that never got a conclusion that was brought up too. They looked ok, but that doesn't mean much. Before this notification popped up I was looking those up on rock auto, and figured I'll do u-joints at same time. :shaking:

Thank you for that insight. I'd be stoked if those were my culprit. Think I put it in a reply above, but the front end is tight on both side up on stands.

That would lend credit to not bearings, but potentially the seals. I'll read up more.

Top Back Refresh