What's new

20% off HOBO Generators

xr-nut

GROUP W BENCH
Member Number
Loc
BFK. Bum Fuck Kansas
hobo20.png

I have the older non inverter 4KW and it has been stellar. If it somehow died today I'd buy another one.

It's five or six years old, abused, lives bicycle cable locked in the bed of my work truck, always exposed to the elements, frequent super dusty environments, I've changed the oil on it twice. If it's cold, turn the choke on and it'll start on the second pull. If it's warm no choke and it'll start in one pull.

Anyone have both the regular and super quiet version of the same generator? The super quiets are around 2.5x the price so wondering if they are really worth it. This generator will live 95% of its life in a seperate shed running on propane powering a cabin.

ETA: 9000 Watt Gas Powered Portable Generator with CO SECURE Technology, EPA

vs

Last edited:
Anyone have both the regular and super quiet version of the same generator? The super quiets are around 2.5x the price so wondering if they are really worth it. This generator will live 95% of its life in a seperate shed running on propane powering a cabin.

vs

those aren't the same. one is an invertor the other isn't. i think they do make 2 invertor versions i've been looking at getting one

Is there a reason to get the invertor one?

In the near future I plan on adding solar and batteries. It is in an area that will have snow so at times the panels will not be producing, so i will be running the generator.

Wasn't HF but a new generator I cheaped out on failed to make power when I needed it. I cycled it often so it ran fine. Fuck that. I bought a Honda .

Then why the fuck are you even in this thread?

I have hundreds of hours on a harbor freight 2k gen and thats after the dude I bought it from used it for a year or more.

vs

I have the 9500w inverter one.

It's been awesome.

Fairly quiet, has an on-demand type setting where it idles up as needed based on load, quiet enough that I've ran it outside my garage and slept without noticing it in our bedroom.

My main workspace is a shed without power currently so I use this generator to run my welder and my Milwaukee battery chargers for my power tools, so while I'm welding it idles up to power the welder or my compressor and plasma cutter, then immediately idles down when I'm only powering the battery chargers.
I want to get another one and use the parallel kit to be able to power my entire home during ice storms with no demand issues.

Has about 55 hours on it after almost a year of use.

In the near future I plan on adding solar and batteries. It is in an area that will have snow so at times the panels will not be producing, so i will be running the generator.
The inverter one "should" produce cleaner power if you're powering electronics.

I haven't put an O-scope on mine, so no clue what it actually looks like.

The inverter one "should" produce cleaner power if you're powering electronics.

I haven't put an O-scope on mine, so no clue what it actually looks like.

Only if it's a pure sine wave. The cheap ones are all square wave.

Some electronics don't play nice with square waves.

Honda and Yamaha cost 2-3x more because they do have pure sine wave inverters.

If you don't have noise issues get the cheap one. It'll have a regular 3600rpm generator head that should output a nice sine wave, but the voltage will walk up and down a little with varied loads.

Voltage isn't super important. As long as it can keep 110-130v stuff doesn't care. Very rare to find anything that can't handle +/-10%.

Flickering lights and sensitive equipment.

Those inverter gensets are great on fuel consumption as well. We use the 3500 at our deer camp. It runs 24 hours a day for a week at a time with no fuss. it's nice, quite, and sips fuel.

Then why the fuck are you even in this thread?

I have hundreds of hours on a harbor freight 2k gen and thats after the dude I bought it from used it for a year or more.
Hey there dick head...because a the inverter generator I had is made by the same idiots that make these. I won't be cheaping out on one ever again. It ran but failed when I needed it. And fuck you. I'll post what ever I want.

Mine to...I bought it a year old.,.still ticking...
MIL boudt a 9000w and its been sitting for 3 years with the same fuel in it. I get to her house, turn it on choke it and pull it about 10 times and it coughs and coMe to life. Ran it for about an hour with her trailer hooked up to it. Perfect. Shut it down. Next day. Choke on 1 pull start. Zero to complain about.

So you will only buy name brand because you had a problem with a generator you cheaper out on but not one HF made?
Every Honda anything I've ever had just works. That's why I bought it. Can't remember the funny name of the unit. .. Kipor? I beleive. It was real nice,electric start, motor ran good. Started it a couple times a year and used non-ethanol fuel. Fucking thing didn't put out power when I needed it to. Pulled it apart fixed it an sold it.

I only use it for emergency power so fuck that noise. I need something dependable.

It was $600 new.
photo51496.jpg

Top Back Refresh