What's new

1st post

Pyleit

Member Number
Does this count? Mods are full body PPF (suntek reaction ceramic infused film) and suntek evolve 30% tint all around as well as evolve 70% on windshield.

20221226_124611.jpg

I'm in. It's an inevitable part of our future, so I'm going to embrace it.I figure there's a good chance I will have some sort of electric or series-hybrid build somewhere in the next 5-10 year timeframe. Been taking notes here and there, sweet to have an offroad specific subforum to start figuring out what works for us.

This forum wasn't meant to be a place for all the man bun latte sippin hipster doofus' to showcase their Teslas..

But, since this thread is already stumbling down that paved path - here's my econoshitbox.
Saves me at least $200,- a month on my daily commute and is just barely big enough to carry my sons mx-bike.

EV's are shit and most of the drivers are fawkwads but I agree with the frobot, there is no escaping them
959_1071427133.jpg

I'm in. It's an inevitable part of our future, so I'm going to embrace it.I figure there's a good chance I will have some sort of electric or series-hybrid build somewhere in the next 5-10 year timeframe. Been taking notes here and there, sweet to have an offroad specific subforum to start figuring out what works for us.
It is inevitable.

This forum was created after talking to EVolveRacing around the campfire at KoH. Looking forward to seeing their build shared here and hopefully we get a few more Offroad or racing rigs in here….. not your man bun expresso fetchers :flipoff2:

Pyleit knowing your occupation you could make a fortunate on Turo with that thing while you’re working !! They rent for a lot of money on the app !

It is inevitable.
Looking forward to seeing their build shared here and hopefully we get a few more Offroad or racing rigs in here….. not your man bun expresso fetchers :flipoff2:

Here's to no Prius' on the trail,
Now instant torque and peace and quite:beer:

Did anyone see the hummer Superbowl commercial? Wonder when that will run. I'm a little skeptical about the torque rating but that's incredible. Have you towed anything with your tesla?

I'm excited to see what people are doing with electric wheelers. Electric is badass in industrial equipment, interested to see what it can do wheeling.

It is a novelty , but i dig it. I am "driving" to my dads in Southern California right now, have not touched the wheel in over 100 miles 😀. UT to socal with one 22 minute stop at stateline to piss and charge car. Would love to see this drivetrain in a crawler!

It is a novelty , but i dig it. I am "driving" to my dads in Southern California right now, have not touched the wheel in over 100 miles 😀. UT to socal with one 22 minute stop at stateline to piss and charge car. Would love to see this drivetrain in a crawler!

While pure electric still has some pretty steep challenges ahead, I think series hybrid is going to be a really interesting interim step. That's essentially where you have a purely electric vehicle and have an engine acting as an onboard generator

While pure electric still has some pretty steep challenges ahead, I think series hybrid is going to be a really interesting interim step. That's essentially where you have a purely electric vehicle and have an engine acting as an onboard generator

I agree. Toyota has been quite reliable in the hybrid design.

I also have a 2019 honda insight that gives me 45-50 mpg consistently that is my commuter car. It uses an Atkinson 1.5l 4 cyl and electric motor. I agree that this is the best solution until battery technology improves. Im a fan of the tesla for instant torque and the autopilot . Pic from last night.
20230312_191159.jpg

Curious to see where this goes.
I’ll like to think EV rigs can easily be made into remote controlled.

Come up to an obstacle, hop out and pull out big fancy remote controller. Self-spotting as it rock crawl over boulders. :smokin:

Or just full send as a rock bouncer, without self-inflicting injuries :lmao:

I also have a 2019 honda insight that gives me 45-50 mpg consistently that is my commuter car. It uses an Atkinson 1.5l 4 cyl and electric motor. I agree that this is the best solution until battery technology improves.

the insight is the best option i feel like here in the midwest because there is the potential to have many many miles between charging stations and in general just a shit ton of openness.

Did anyone see the hummer Superbowl commercial? Wonder when that will run. I'm a little skeptical about the torque rating but that's incredible. Have you towed anything with your tesla?

My daughter and I saw an EV Hummer truck at the farm store last week. Looks like a bro dozer, but was interesting watching it drive by with no sound or coal roll. :laughing:

I have two major problems that rub me the wrong way.

1) it's being forced on us by politicians and global leaders
2) current dealership workforce for the most part can barely fix the mainstream junk being made now let alone an EV

I think it's going to be a necessity at some point for a good chunk of us. The 10 speed autos that can't find the right freaking gear and engine bays that look like 80s carb'd trucks is a step backwards regardless of how much power they make. They aren't serviceable, they aren't going to last long, the end is near. Maybe synthetic fuels or hydrogen keep that going but the traditional gasoline vehicle is burning out.

This forum wasn't meant to be a place for all the man bun latte sippin hipster doofus' to showcase their Teslas..

But, since this thread is already stumbling down that paved path - here's my econoshitbox.
EV econo shit boxes are like eating top ramen. It gets the job done, doesn't actually suck, and leaves more money for wheeling. I need to get a bike rack for mine for hauling my and the kiddo's mountain bikes.

1678920261339.jpeg

It is inevitable.

This forum was created after talking to EVolveRacing around the campfire at KoH. Looking forward to seeing their build shared here and hopefully we get a few more Offroad or racing rigs in here….. not your man bun expresso fetchers :flipoff2:
I'm glad you had a chance to meet them at KOH. I spent more time with Keith and Melissa during KOH week than any other team. They are awesome people and put a ton of thought and ingenuity into building their rig.

My interest is in development of my high voltage steering pump system, for which the EVolve truck is one of my first two operational systems. The other being Dave Cole's Hypercraft spec EV car. More details on that will be showcased here when ready.

The possibilities that EV tech is just now opening up is what excites me the most. I don't see it as a novelty nor do I see a reason to shun it just based on what our infrastructure looks like today. 100 years ago there was not a gas station on every street corner. I also don't see it as the end all be all answer to the future of humanity. The key to a successful future is diversification, whether that be transportation, energy, water, or food. EV's will never be the answer for everybody in every application, but the benefits it presents are worth pursuing for applications where EV's do make sense.

From my perspective, EV tech allows me to design a powerful and efficient hydraulic system with none of the challenges that a traditional high-powered steering system presents:
Belt alignment issues... not applicable
Pump speed range (low flow at idle, smoking the pump at rev limiter)... not applicable
Managing waste energy/heat due to excessive pressure relief/flow regulation... Not applicable

Instead I get to play with flow on demand at any time regardless of vehicle/motor speed, digital pressure/torque limiting, and my biggest challenge is tuning pump operational characteristics to get satisfactory response with minimal energy waste. My worst case scenario fail state is I simply run the pump full speed to get steering response as if from a conventional pump at higher rpm.

If I could make even my 2.5kW system in 12VDC it would be a game changer but at the end of the day the fundamental limitation is the horsepower that it takes to steer an offroad vehicle. To get that power out of a 12V pump it would need to be able to draw 200+ amps at exceptionally high duty cycle but with an 800VDC pump in a high voltage EV, it takes just 3.5 amps to get 2.5kW. For comparison, the common 12V Volvo or Jeep EPS pumps draw around 65 amps peak so around 0.8kW which is a fraction of my "small" pump unit and they aren't known to maintain that sort of output for extended periods due to overheating. The two just aren't even in the same realm anymore.

Driveline tech opens up similar concepts of tunability that were never possible before. Think about tuning your motor controller to maintain wheel speed for a given throttle position which can reduce driveshaft/axleshaft shock load from whoops and jumps. Torque limiting could help reduce axle shaft breakage in the rocks. The possibilities are endless and we are just recently opening the door to performance tuning. This all is what makes me excited.

EV econo shit boxes are like eating top ramen. It gets the job done, doesn't actually suck, and leaves more money for wheeling.

Exactly this. When I bought this for commuting it was costing me $425 a month in fuel to drive my 4Runner to work. I calculated payment and insurance cost and owning this vehicle was still cheaper than driving my 4runner. Free charging at work is an added bonus. That said I own 3 other gas vehicles.

2023-03-16_7-44-41.jpg

Exactly this. When I bought this for commuting it was costing me $425 a month in fuel to drive my 4Runner to work. I calculated payment and insurance cost and owning this vehicle was still cheaper than driving my 4runner. Free charging at work is an added bonus. That said I own 3 other gas vehicles.

2023-03-16_7-44-41.jpg
How long you been commuting with it? What kind of range you have on a charge?

What kind of maintenance it have? Other than typical suspension/steering, brakes (if ever?) and tires?

Your posts got me thinking. I searched and found there’s a cheap-ish 2017 nisssn leaf but with like 130,000 miles.

Top Back Refresh