What's new

1998 XJ VSS

Gumbybronco

Member Number
Is the VSS at the transfer case on a 1998 XJ required for drivability?

My XJ is a buggy without a speedometer and I’m considering swapping in a 2007 NVG241 from a Rubicon.

Is the Rubicon transfer case a good swap?

Thanks

Mine fucked off, didn’t notice much of anything other than no speedo, but the the torque converter lockup always happens at above 40-something, so that might go away.

Unplug it and find out?

I currently have a buggered transfer case and need to solve that first to drive.

Ah, word. Worst that happens is you need to ghetto rig a TC lockup switch. It shifted fine at least.

Which you’ll definitely forget to turn off approaching a light and stall it.

Edit: I suppose you can hook it to a normally closed relay that connects to the brake circuit, opening when you’re on the brakes and preventing stallage.

Last edited:
Good question. My 98 is a 5 speed but the speedo stopped working and i didnt notice and performance/ drivability issues with it not working.

My 96 w/aw4 has a np205 and the speedo connector isn't plugged into anything. Also don't notice any performance/ drivability issues.

I think there is an output speed sensor inside the trans that is used for shifting.

VSS in the T-Case is only for the speedo.

I think there is an output speed sensor inside the trans that is used for shifting.

VSS in the T-Case is only for the speedo.
Perfect. That’s what I needed. I have decided on an Atlas now and will go with the short tailhousing

Top Back Refresh