What's new

1995 toyota 4runner rear axle help / chromoly axle

Member Number
I have a 1995 toyota 4runner im building . im putting in chromoly axles by longfield. the issue i have is the abs cog when pressed on has no room for the last race bearing to be put on leaving no proper seal. the main reason for all this is im doing a rear disk brake conversion .
i have no clue how to fix this issue.

Unless i remove the abs cog and put race bearing in its place. but not sure if that will cause my speed odometer to not work . any info would be great . here are some pic , the first pic is the stock axle

Attachments

• IMG_0431.jpeg
    IMG_0431.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0433.jpeg
    IMG_0433.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • 71539478531__F4446291-35BD-4B48-B315-D5F476042FC3.jpeg
    71539478531__F4446291-35BD-4B48-B315-D5F476042FC3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
1995 toyota 4runner

The 2nd gen 4runner axles are a little different than the common ifs pickup and 1st gen 4runner. I don't think mine had abs, but it was a 1990.

You might be stuck with stock axles, which are super strong. Some say the same or as strong as those longfield axles.

Also, what are you hanging with that structure built with a 4x4 and 2x4s of the garage truss?

That's fair. Off the truss! Look at the ceiling.

still not sure what you are talking about. im just trying to figure out how to fix current issue. not sute what truss has to do with the last race beating not fitting ,

lol im sorry im not trying to be a dummy.
im all for ditching the abs cog. The issue i heve is if ditching it will i loose my speedometer. and do i double up race bearing

Why not run the stock axle shafts? Seems like the chromoly shaft has a bigger OD.
From my experience, stock shafts are quality and strong. Run em!

I thought the speedos are run off the tcase?

My 96 4runner is wheel sensors. When I did 5.29s I thought I got the wrong gears because the speedo didn't change :laughing:

I didn't know abs started in 2nd gen 4runners, but if it did, I guess there is a possibility it reads speed off the wheel sonsors also.

Just put the stock shafts back in, they're super strong, I've only seen like 2 break over almost 20 years of watching toyota axles get abused.

My 96 4runner is wheel sensors. When I did 5.29s I thought I got the wrong gears because the speedo didn't change :laughing:

I didn't know abs started in 2nd gen 4runners, but if it did, I guess there is a possibility it reads speed off the wheel sonsors also.

Just put the stock shafts back in, they're super strong, I've only seen like 2 break over almost 20 years of watching toyota axles get abused.
Ahhh interesting, my 02 Tacoma it was off the tcase.

I have the same issue your having. The non abs and abs rear axles are different. I broke my stock rear axle and didn't pay attention and bought a non abs axle and the sleeve and seal ride further in the axle housing then and non abs axle. No room for the abs gear or sleeve behind the snap ring. I'm not sure what the fix is for you other than modification to the axle or housing . I just need an abs axle.

My issue

Attachments

• inbound3944149105042150903.jpg
    inbound3944149105042150903.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
ya i found out thie issue as well
you can buy the youkon axles but you have to cut them down to length. i contacted yota masters and this was the answer.

Top Back Refresh