What's new

1994 2WD F150 4.9L i6 E40D replacement. Any compatible bell housings?

D_JEEPER

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue
Member Number
So I have a farm truck that is the specs listed above. The truck itself is actually in really decent condition, but the transmissions is slipping and sometimes takes a lot of RPM and time to get it to engage...and it shifts a bit rough too. I assume the tranny is dead. It had a rough life for the last few years and has 258k miles on it... I'm not upset.

So I am on the prowl for a new one. It seems that only the 1994-1996 4.9L E40D will swap in. Any Ford experts here who can confirm or deny (with direction)?

It's the same bellhousing as any other SBF - unsure of the electronics of it. The breakover may be between EEC-IV (1992-1995) or EEC-V (1996+). Internet research says the harness connectors are different.

In general, buying a used e4od sucks, because the one you're buying is probably expensive, and it's probably bad. And the rebuild is going to be expensive, and they're probably going to do a shitty job at it too:laughing:

Looking at car-part.com

4.9 5.0 and 5.8 from 92-94 are interchangeable

In general, buying a used e4od sucks, because the one you're buying is probably expensive, and it's probably bad. And the rebuild is going to be expensive, and they're probably going to do a shitty job at it too:laughing:

Looking at car-part.com

4.9 5.0 and 5.8 from 92-94 are interchangeable
Are you sure those bellhousings are compatible though?? I mean, the internals might be... but the bellhousings?

Are you sure those bellhousings are compatible though?? I mean, the internals might be... but the bellhousings?
Yeah, the bellhousing is integral, that transmission can be unbolted from a 5.8 truck and be installed in a 4.9 truck 92-94, car-part.com has a top notch interchange, never been let down by it

I guess as long as it is 2wd to 2wd it is good to go then.... huh.

Bellhousing is the same for 300/302/351. Ford changed the solenoid pack in 94 so if you want to run an older one, youd have to swap in your solenoid pack. I dont recommend an older one, there was a shitload of internal upgrades over the years to keep them from failing.

the 300 & 302 got the same build but with 3 clutch drums.
the 351 & 460 got the same build but with 4 clutch drums.
the 7.3 got 5 clutch drums.

So the 351 version of the small block trans is the beefiest in stock form. Yes you can swap your shitty 3 clutch drums for 5 clutch drums as inside the case, the dimensions are all the same.

No issues with spline count or anything of that nature?

Hey guys, new to the forums. Also, in the market for an e4od and these guys E40D Transmission Replacements | New, Used, & Rebuilt have a remanufactured one for 2300 with free shipping. Is it better to opt for something like that rather than a used one with like 90k miles for 1200?
I wouldn't do business with a place that won't tell you their address.

Search of their phone number brings up another business using the same number, 'Car Part Planet':
Address listed is a strip mall:
Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 2.02.38 PM.png

^ could all be wrong, but I'd sure be hesitant to send them $2K.

I'd also look for a reputable local builder before I'd ship one. When it's puking fluid, do you want to play email games, or take it back and say "Fix it!"?

The exception to that might be a top-shelf outfit like BTS. Brian's Truck Shop

Nope, Ford used the same spline count for basically everything, up until some time after 2000. So as long as you find a small block case, you're good to go.
Man, that makes it soo much easier to source a transmission haha.

Does it see much hwy time?
Could always swap to manual ecm and a c6
They were available all the way to 97 believe it or not

This would be mostly on the farm and some gas run type stuff. We do hook it up to the hay wagon to transport from fields though...

does it really matter if it is still an auto PCM?
I mean it is gonna be possibly a little confused, but it should still run fine as if nothing's different on the engine side of things

I got a vote for fixing the trans that's in there
try unplugging it first, just yank the electrical connector and it'll give you a full manual 1,2,4 with full line pressure

I got a vote for fixing the trans that's in there
try unplugging it first, just yank the electrical connector and it'll give you a full manual 1,2,4 with full line pressure
Im not sure if that is the issue or not. If I start it and try to drive, it has 4 neutrals.... but sometimes if I rev it a bit, it seems to catch.

The retaining ring for the O/D apply piston is a known failure point, it falls out of its groove and then the clutch fails which leads to the loss of OD and eventually wipes out the trans due to foreign material circulating thru everything.

Color of fluid?

How does it shift if you engage gears manually? Any change if OD is turned off?

This is gonna sound super dumb but has the pan been down? If it was just serviced ive seen people not remove the old seal before installing the new filter (so there would be 2 seals).
Superior makes a bracket for retaining the filter because they can fall out of the valve body, and then it doesnt shift for shit because it cant pick up any oil.

Top Back Refresh