What's new

1993 AmTran Genesis Mid-Bus build.

Ok that ^ didn't work. Rained for a week straight. A lot of rain. More rain than I may have ever seen here.
And the interior is soaked again in the same spot.
Best guess is this rotted out seam sealer. Pretty much all trash, on this seam. Probably will have to address all of them though. going to have to get in there with a pick or something and scrape out as much as I can.
1665678656169.png

So, What product to use? No need to coat the entire roof. I'm thinking 3m Dynatron 550.

Also, canopy wouldn't unroll on our last outing. For whatever reason the open/close switch is not functioning any longer. Thats going to be a royal PITFA to remove the spring/switch/cap with the thing being rolled up.

1665679007545.png

Also, canopy wouldn't unroll on our last outing. For whatever reason the open/close switch is not functioning any longer. Thats going to be a royal PITFA to remove the spring/switch/cap with the thing being rolled up.
Very well could be the motor itself, they're all fucking junk. Test connectivity before you go pulling all that apart. You can unroll it manually a bit using a drill, prop it open, and swap the motor. I've done a couple now, just a few screws.

Very well could be the motor itself, they're all fucking junk. Test connectivity before you go pulling all that apart. You can unroll it manually a bit using a drill, prop it open, and swap the motor. I've done a couple now, just a few screws.
Motor? Connectivity? What kind of high roller bluetooth powered awning do you think this redneck Coach has?
It's a manual awning that we hacked 5' off of to make fit. The only connectivity it has is its still connected to the side of the bus.

Motor....:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Motor? Connectivity? What kind of high roller bluetooth powered awning do you think this redneck Coach has?
It's a manual awning that we hacked 5' off of to make fit. The only connectivity it has is its still connected to the side of the bus.

Motor....:laughing::laughing::laughing:
Well in that case, hitch up your panties and yank that piece of shit harder.

Well in that case, hitch up your panties and yank that piece of shit harder.
We had 3 guys pulling on it! It's locked up! Hence why I said it was going to be a PITFA to take the cap up with it rolled up. :flipoff2:

This confused me too, I associate switches with electrical things.

AFAIK all manual roll-up awnings have that kind of switch. The garage door style spring inside either holding it closed against the wall, or allowing you to pull it open.

With it in the up position you should be able to pull the end cap off and investigate without unrolling. Have to be up on a ladder, but it should be possible.

No right angles anywhere. Its all just seam overlap as shown.
Thanks though! will keep it in mind.

I think I would mechanically and chemically clean the lap lower and upper portion on the other side of the rivets and use RV self leveling sealant or "cool roof" to create a cover over all leak points vs attempting to re-seal the seams or rivet heads.

I like eterna-bond tape for this job too. Cover the whole area and roll the edges about 1" wide.

wire wheel to get the crap out then little sand blaster to get a good surface finish
then whatever sika/3m urethane stuff in a caulking gun tube

With it in the up position you should be able to pull the end cap off and investigate without unrolling. Have to be up on a ladder, but it should be possible.

The drive home must have unlodged whatever it was making the switch not function. flipped it and got the thing unrolled yesterday. Pulled it apart to investigate and the mechanism is sealed up with no visible way to open it up to see what's going on in there. Gave it a healthy dose of lube and ran it up and down a few times. Seems to be working great.
The switch was busted off so we had been activating it by twisting the little nub with a pair of pliers. Fabbed up a new switch handle.

1667239446374.png

1667239477443.png

Dunno why I posted this in "random stuff you made" instead of in here, but heres a repost. :flipoff2:

Wheelchair lift in the new bus isn't as cool as we thought it might be. It's kinda a PITA, takes up a bunch of room in the garage and if it fails, loading/unloading the bikes is going to bring the suck.
Ramp on the black bus was perfect for ease of loading and unloading as well as providing a nice picnic table in camp.

So I set out this past weekend to build a new setup. Fairly pleased. Need to finalize permanent guy wires and a latch of some sort.

Annotation 2023-01-30 074905.jpg
Annotation 2023-01-30 074919.jpg
Annotation 2023-01-30 074931.jpg
Annotation 2023-01-30 074943.jpg

I'd skip the guy wires and fashion some drop legs inside the lower section. Could be pinned up when using it as a ramp.
I dont fuckin want legs. I want the cool drawbridge thing. :laughing::flipoff2:

Buddy donated some 1/4" Amsteel.

i was hoping to use these rope tensioners to let it go to the ground, then adjust up to table mode, then take the slack out for travel.
1677375253924.png

all was going well until SLAM. glad i was standing on it not someone else.
XjOqWmpj2FTQOm_cjNVOnMuA=w527-h937-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

So fuck it. unclip the lines for ramp, clip them back on for table, close them in the door for travel. If i decide i like it being suspended i might go in and splice the line correctly just so it looks good rather than the bowline knots that are in it now.

NUeyALkauzhkceYWn0ivbPag=w527-h937-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Ripped the wheelchair lift out too. That made a whole bunch of space in the garage.

anyone need a handi-lift? sell it cheap.

Last edited:
If you weren't at the other end of the country that would be tempting to at least hear how cheap but well....

Really wish I would have bought land out that direction years ago.

Goddamn mouse invasion! :mad3: Spent all day cleaning/disinfecting and organizing. Have our first 2 day ride in 2 weeks so need to get this thing sorted for the season.
For whatever reason the builder didnt make the space under the dinette benches accessible. Just had a bunch of 2x's screwed down. Bullshit. Thats a ton of storage space ya tard.
Unscrewed em all and fitted hatches.
yoOM3eDnr88gIlKGhIG2qcAw=w527-h937-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

x7gL9vZjBLNqS5GiIGzxXqww=w527-h937-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Spent all day Sun ripping out the coolant fed heater that was just banging around on the floor behind the drivers seat. what a clusterfuck of loops and hoses and rigged BS the previous owner had going on removing the other two rear heaters. (no pics)
Dad went over to my house today and installed the VaChina diesel heater.
Currently 62f outside and he has it up to 85f inside after running for 40 minutes. That should hopefully keep us above freezing when camping down into the single digits. :smokin: Going to have to cobble some better vent routing by the looks of things. :laughing:

1679520852801.png

Spent all day Sun ripping out the coolant fed heater that was just banging around on the floor behind the drivers seat. what a clusterfuck of loops and hoses and rigged BS the previous owner had going on removing the other two rear heaters. (no pics)
Dad went over to my house today and installed the VaChina diesel heater.
Currently 62f outside and he has it up to 85f inside after running for 40 minutes. That should hopefully keep us above freezing when camping down into the single digits. :smokin: Going to have to cobble some better vent routing by the looks of things. :laughing:

1679520852801.png

The fuel pump tick would drive me crazy:homer:

Fireplace recording played on loop near it :lmao:.
I put music on at night anyhow to deal with tinnitus so I probably wouldn't even be able to hear it.

We dont have any house batteries, just the starting bats, so I let the diesel heater run all day out there to get an idea of how much juice the thing is gonna consume.

Runtime: 10 hours.
Voltage at startup: 12.21.
Lowest voltage measured (at startup, glowplug running): 11.89
Voltage after shutdown: 12.09.
Fuel consumption (measured via paint stick): 0.4 of tank (i think its ~ 1gallon tank)..

Super stoked!:eek::grinpimp::beer:

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh